"Barrier" paint?

Viking
Posted
Posted

I painted a couple of rooms last year and now when we got back there's discoloration in some parts. The walls were scrubbed and cleaned multiple times before painting and a primer was used before the topcoat.

I have two more rooms to paint and want to know if you have heard of the barrier type of paint, here in the Philippines? To prevent a similar result in our next arrival.

IMG_20240220_140946786.jpg

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Some sort of sealer type product first? 

Or, could that be caused by moisture somehow penetrating the cement?

Possum
Posted
Posted

That looks like moisture to me. Is it part of an outside wall?

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Some sort of sealer type product first? 

Or, could that be caused by moisture somehow penetrating the cement?

1 hour ago, Possum said:

That looks like moisture to me. Is it part of an outside wall?

Yes, some kind of sealing product. The ones I have seen here are supposed to be used on unpainted concrete but maybe it will work on a prepainted surface as well? I have to check this up.

Moisture was my first thought, but this is an internal wall and no water pipes in it so I don't understand where it would come from?

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Viking said:

Moisture was my first thought, but this is an internal wall and no water pipes in it so I don't understand where it would come from?

I had the same sort of problem and it turned out to be Condensation:tiphat: This turned out to be from The A/C unit, Do you have A/C in your problem Rooms?

Is condensation normal in AC?

If the air is more humid, more condensation can be expected. Even in a non-humid environment, small beads of sweat on your air conditioner are normal. But, if your AC unit is dripping any water down walls and/or onto the floor, then this is a sign of a problem and can signify that it's time to call a professional.

Edited by Jack Peterson
added some text

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have it in two rooms but only in the outside walls in each of them, and only on one specific outside wall in each.  Interestingly, in both rooms we have different paint on the lower half and upper half and the issue is on the lower half in one and the upper half in the other.  This leads me to believe that the paint is part of the problem i.e. some paint is better than others at repelling moisture. I believe it's a moisture problem rather than anything else and may be due to seepage from outside and/or condensation from within.  

ETA - Strangely enough, it hasn't gotten worse since it appeared about 6 or 7 years ago.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Viking said:

I painted a couple of rooms last year and now when we got back there's discoloration in some parts. The walls were scrubbed and cleaned multiple times before painting and a primer was used before the topcoat.

I have two more rooms to paint and want to know if you have heard of the barrier type of paint, here in the Philippines? To prevent a similar result in our next arrival.

IMG_20240220_140946786.jpg

Scrape the area. Wire Brush it, smooth the area using #120 3m sandpaper. Use Denatured alcohol (available at Citi Hardware or Wilcon) on a rag to clean the area then apply 2 coats of Cambridge Prime R. It's dries shiny clear and provides a clear waterproof barrier then paint over it.  I use it on the exterior compound walls.   I bought it at Wilcon.

http://www.campbridge.com/Primer%20and%20Sealer.html

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Scrape the area. Wire Brush it. Use Denatured alcohol (available at Citi Hardware or Wilcon) on a rag to clean the area then apply 2 coats of Cambridge Prime R. It's dries shiny clear and provides a clear waterproof barrier then paint over it.  I use it on the exterior compound walls.   I bought it at Wilcon.

http://www.campbridge.com/Primer%20and%20Sealer.html

Our contractor used that, or something similar when we had the problem I mentioned in my post and the problem hasn't recurred  so I guess it worked.  There was also another type they used which had to be mixed with cement before applying.  The disadvantage with the latter is that the wall has to be repainted to properly seal the wall - with the former not even needing to be repainted.  

Rooster
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Our contractor used that, or something similar when we had the problem I mentioned in my post and the problem hasn't recurred  so I guess it worked.  There was also another type they used which had to be mixed with cement before applying.  The disadvantage with the latter is that the wall has to be repainted to properly seal the wall - with the former not even needing to be repainted.  

A reason for that peeling, flaking appearance is from lime activity and not properly using concrete neutralizer after the initial concrete plastering is completed to neutralize lime activity later on and then afterwards using a proper concrete primer sealer prior to painting.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Rooster said:

A reason for that peeling, flaking appearance is from lime activity and not properly using concrete neutralizer after the initial concrete plastering is completed to neutralize lime activity later on and then afterwards using a proper concrete primer sealer prior to painting.

Yep...we have this issue on some exterior tiling which was done right after concrete work and without proper application of the neutraliser.  A lesson learned by me.  

• Like 1