"Barrier" paint?

Possum
Posted
Posted

One thing I have found helpful is to use a waterproofing additive in the concrete as it is being mixed. We used Cambridge additive. Only 65 peso per small bag and one bag to each sack of cement. Then the proper neutralizer or neutralizer primer combo before paint. Our addition from one year ago has 0 issues with moisture using this method

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Possum said:

One thing I have found helpful is to use a waterproofing additive in the concrete as it is being mixed. We used Cambridge additive. Only 65 peso per small bag and one bag to each sack of cement. Then the proper neutralizer or neutralizer primer combo before paint. Our addition from one year ago has 0 issues with moisture using this method

We have something similarly, Sahara, mix it with the cement. Then after about 2 months seal the cement with sealer.

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I had the same sort of problem and it turned out to be Condensation:tiphat: This turned out to be from The A/C unit, Do you have A/C in your problem Rooms?

Is condensation normal in AC?

If the air is more humid, more condensation can be expected. Even in a non-humid environment, small beads of sweat on your air conditioner are normal. But, if your AC unit is dripping any water down walls and/or onto the floor, then this is a sign of a problem and can signify that it's time to call a professional.

We actually don't have an aircon in this room so I have been a bit confused of the reason for this.

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Rooster said:

Scrape the area. Wire Brush it, smooth the area using #120 3m sandpaper. Use Denatured alcohol (available at Citi Hardware or Wilcon) on a rag to clean the area then apply 2 coats of Cambridge Prime R. It's dries shiny clear and provides a clear waterproof barrier then paint over it.  I use it on the exterior compound walls.   I bought it at Wilcon.

http://www.campbridge.com/Primer%20and%20Sealer.html

Do you happen to know if that product can be applied on top of existing paint?

I won't repaint the yellow wall now since the affected area will be covered by a book shelf anyway, but I don't want the same thing to happen when I paint the other two rooms.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Viking said:

Do you happen to know if that product can be applied on top of existing paint?

I won't repaint the yellow wall now since the affected area will be covered by a book shelf anyway, but I don't want the same thing to happen when I paint the other two rooms.

Applying a product over existing paint won't stop that from happening. You will have to correct spots as they appear.

The correct process after both exterior and interior concrete plastering is to apply concrete neutralize to the surface. It's not something you add to the mix. It's a liquid you apply by brush, roller or sprayer. The following day, power wash or wash with a bucket/brush the white powder lime residue extracted from the concrete then sand the surface and wash again. Then apply a concrete primer sealer, then paint.

Many of those who build their own homes are not aware they must do this and their paint issues later appear.

Contractors may skip this process because it cuts into profit and they could be hired again to repaint walls.

Youtube videos explain Concrete Neutralizer process.

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Viking said:

We actually don't have an aircon in this room so I have been a bit confused of the reason for this.

I Did ask before if you had A/C in the 2 problem rooms, you never answered so i just put up A/C condensation issues if you did. No matter just trying to help But................:rolleyes:

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Rooster said:

Applying a product over existing paint won't stop that from happening. You will have to correct spots as they appear.

The correct process after both exterior and interior concrete plastering is to apply concrete neutralize to the surface. It's not something you add to the mix. It's a liquid you apply by brush, roller or sprayer. The following day, power wash or wash with a bucket/brush the white powder lime residue extracted from the concrete then sand the surface and wash again. Then apply a concrete primer sealer, then paint.

Many of those who build their own homes are not aware they must do this and their paint issues later appear.

Contractors may skip this process because it cuts into profit and they could be hired again to repaint walls.

Youtube videos explain Concrete Neutralizer process.

Thanks for the information.

So this has to be done even if these walls were built 20 years ago?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thanks for the information.

So this has to be done even if these walls were built 20 years ago?

Alternatively, buy a picture to cover the area! :hystery:

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I Did ask before if you had A/C in the 2 problem rooms, you never answered so i just put up A/C condensation issues if you did. No matter just trying to help But................:rolleyes:

Sorry, I must have missed that.

I actually only have this problem in one of the rooms that was painted last year.

I am going to repaint two other rooms now, and would like to minimize the risk of this happening again. Both of these new rooms have aircons inside.

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Alternatively, buy a picture to cover the area! :hystery:

That's actually not a bad idea, hahaha.

I will cover the problem with a book shelf in the yellow room, but if possible without going through to much hassle, I want to avoid it happening again in the rooms I am about to repaint.

You said earlier that you have had different results with different brands of paint, which paint did you feel were better?