Is It Safe

manabouttown
Posted
Posted

hello allthanks everyone for your good information.I decided not to take the trip but not just because of safety. When I though about it I realized that I did not know this girl well enough to be traveling to a place unknown to me.Maybe some other time

Travis
Posted
Posted
hello allthanks everyone for your good information.I decided not to take the trip but not just because of safety. When I though about it I realized that I did not know this girl well enough to be traveling to a place unknown to me.Maybe some other time
probably a good idea until you at least get to know her & her motives & maybe wait until after the elections are over too

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
As an option, offer to pay the fare for her and a companion to come visit you. The mode of transport and accomodations they would use would be less than the more upscale you would probably take and use to visit her --- and you would get to meet in person.

• 5 months later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

If anyone has any concerns if it is safe to visit or reside in the Philippines, here are just a few of my suggestions: 1. Never travel alone in areas you are not familiar with, use a professional guide or friends that are in the know and dress appropriately depending on weather conditions and or social venues. 2. Get the most current travel "Advisory Warnings" from the U.S. Embassy or U.S. State Department website I listed below.3. Minimize divulging your personal background history, where you reside and or immigration status on any open public blogs or forums unless you choose to do so. That's why most forums (except for Blogs, Facebook etc) uses avatars and user names to protect your identity. This is for in order to eliminate any possibilities of any known con artists, kidnappers or terrorists in obtaining your social, financial status and or your where a bouts. Just never know, criminals are now into cyberspace! A prime example, my wife's friend from California is now in Hong Kong on vacation to this minutes and hour and we know exactly in what hotel they are in Disney World! I got this on Facebook! You see what I mean about people's privacy? There is none! Kind of scary eh!4. Always have easy access to immediate cash in case of an emergency of any kind. Well, these are just a few of my suggestions, other readers can add to this list if they wish to do so!Just have a good and wonderful stay or vacation in the Philippines! U.S. Embassy Manila website: http://manila.usemba...v/wwwha008.htmlU.S. Embassy Manila pdf info: http://manila.usemba...ov/wwwfb007.pdfU.S. State Department Travel Registration website: https://travelregist...te.gov/ibrs/ui/

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm

T.Monk
Posted
Posted
hello againI am just after a few opinions since I am not sure if I am making the right decision.The lady who I have met is going back to her home city in just over a week as her job contract is ending,she invite me to take the trip with her to �Zamboanger city,not sure of spelling. When I used to read a few yahoo groups there were some topics of places that were not safe for a tourist and i think Zamboanger was one of them. Has any one been to this place or should i stay in Cebu for my own safety?
I have known of white foreigners who have traveled to that area of Mindanao in the past and many have said it was safe and we have family there and they say that there are white people living there but mostly missionaries and some husbands of locals but the area is said to not be safe because it is closer to where many of the Muslim terrorist come from. Zamboanga is a very large area and I guess it might also depend on what part your lady is from. I personally have never been there and probably never will but have traveled to many other places within Mindanao against travel warning yet it does seem that Mindanao is heating up with problems over the last 15 plus years rather than getting better. Priest, teachers and others have been kidnapped in the Zamboanga area recently. I would say to stay out of it but each person has to make the decision on their own as to what risks might be worth it to meet their ladies families which is an important issue in the Philippines to families. Good luck with whatever you decide but maybe it might be worth waiting until you know the lady is who you seek as a lifetime partner before making the trip over there or possibly invite her family to meet you in a safer place such as Cagayan de Oro which is on top of Mindanao and put them up in a pension house and get to know them on safer grounds if that is possible. Be safe and enjoy the Philippines. 541.gif
I am an American planning on moving to Davao City which I understand to be very safe, as safe as anywhere for anyone with a pointy nose and pale skin in the RP (Am I right?) However I have read some dangerous occurances in the region you mention. I for one would avoid it. Then again, "I only know what I read in the newspapers."