House Fires

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

Ormoc City – A devastating fire ravaged a village in Ormoc City yesterday evening, causing a trail of destruction and displacing numerous families. The fire, which erupted at approximately 7:35 PM on February 22, 2024, consumed a significant portion of Jasmin Street in Barangay Cogon, Ormoc City.

image-3.png

https://rapportph.com/massive-fire-in-ormoc-city-flamed-a-lot-of-houses/

My guess is electrical which scares the heck out of me here.

• Sad 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Could've been a number of things, there's a couple of houses around where I live that have their gas cooktops/bottles stored next to their indoor cooking open fires....

• Sad 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

In our area last week there was a fire in a boarding house and 2 boarders died.  Apparently, they were on the 3rd floor and, surprise surprise, the emergency exit was blocked/broken. 

This week the local government are going around the various Barangays and closing down unregistered or unpermitted boarding houses - more than 25 as I type.  Again, we see how little respect there is for law/regulation here and how little a life is valued.  Perhaps a prison sentence for those running such establishments would make inroads into the problem but it will never happen.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

, we see how little respect there is for law/regulation here and how little a life is valued. 

As I often say to my Wife, it is only when Death occurs people in Charge do anything about anything :whistling:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

prison sentence for those running such establishments

What? And take away that extra income the that the watchmen, PNP, barangay captain, city counselors, mayor and permit departments get for looking the other way? 

are you serious.jpg

• Haha 3

Lee
Posted
Posted

Some may remember this.

Ozone Disco fire

The Ozone Disco fire in Quezon City, Philippines, broke out at 11:35 pm Philippine Standard Time on March 18, 1996, leaving at least 162 people dead. It is officially acknowledged as the worst fire in Philippine history,[1][2] and among the 10 worst nightclub fires in the world.

Incident

The fire broke out just before midnight on March 18, 1996. At the time of the fire, it was estimated that there were around 350 patrons and 40 club employees inside Ozone Disco, though it had been approved for occupancy for only 35 people.[1][7] Most of the club guests were high school and college students attending graduation or end-of-the-school-year celebrations.[8] Survivors reported seeing sparks flying inside the disc jockey's booth shortly before midnight, followed by smoke which they thought was part of the DJ's party plan.[1] Another survivor added that after about 15 seconds of smoke, the electrical systems of the disco shut down; flames quickly became visible.[9]

Many of the bodies were discovered along the corridor leading to the only exit, piled up waist-high.[1] Quezon City officials were quoted as saying that the club's emergency exit was blocked by a new building next door,[1] and that no proper fire exit was installed.[8] It was also reported that the exit had been locked from the outside by the club's security guards, who had thought that a riot had taken place.

Read more. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_Disco_fire

Lee1154
Posted
Posted (edited)

So sad that safety is not taken more seriously.

Edited by Lee1154

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, scott h said:

What? And take away that extra income the that the watchmen, PNP, barangay captain, city counselors, mayor and permit departments get for looking the other way? 

are you serious.jpg

Well, no - hence the final few words of my post. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

As I often say to my Wife, it is only when Death occurs people in Charge do anything about anything :whistling:

What they do is what I call rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.  

• Haha 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Could've been a number of things, there's a couple of houses around where I live that have their gas cooktops/bottles stored next to their indoor cooking open fires....

We're about to move into our almost finished house and I have had to get a bit hard-nosed with the contractors about fire safety issues.  They wanted to weld bars across all windows for security, but I had to convince them to put bars on at least bedroom windows that are open-able from the inside.  It's actually Philippine law that windows in living space must be open-able unless the room has multiple doors.  I've already had one wiring harness short out almost causing a fire.  We've had to go through and re-inspect all the wiring and breakers.  Fortunately our house is almost all concrete and hollow block, but fires still happen.

• Like 3