House Fires

Possum
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

Again, we see how little respect there is for law/regulation here and how little a life is valued.  Perhaps a prison sentence for those running such establishments would make inroads into the problem but it will never happen.  

The Ozone disco fire is 1996 which resulted in 162+ deaths was found to be due to building codes ignored and not enforced in collusion with local officials. Some were found guilty 18 years later and sentenced to 6-10 years. Last I heard they were not yet serving sentences pending appeal but that may have changed

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Maxheadspace said:

It's actually Philippine law that windows in living space must be open-able unless the room has multiple doors.  

The windows are usually openable - the bars many choose to install in front/behind them rarely are.  Not only is this a safety hazard but also makes it very, very difficult to wash windows and how about painting the bars from time-to-time? 

We chose not to install them when we moved in - in our area I'd estimate it's a little under 50% who have them.  

• Like 2

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

The windows are usually openable - the bars many choose to install in front/behind them rarely are.  Not only is this a safety hazard but also makes it very, very difficult to wash windows and how about painting the bars from time-to-time? 

We chose not to install them when we moved in - in our area I'd estimate it's a little under 50% who have them.  

We'll see how it goes.  The contractor will install open-able grating on all bedroom windows right now. We're a bit isolated outside of town, so we value our security as well as our fire safety.

Lee
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

The window bars become prime bird roosting perches ---guess where all the poop they generate goes?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Maxheadspace said:

We'll see how it goes.  The contractor will install open-able grating on all bedroom windows right now. We're a bit isolated outside of town, so we value our security as well as our fire safety.

Get a big, bad dog! 

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Get a big, bad dog! 

Hehe, first thing we did was get two dogs...

• Haha 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yeah we’ve covered this about grated windows before and I got a few good idea’s, the one we went with was grated on hinge’s that are lockable with a key for the lock hung up close on a hook, cheap effective and you can make the grated pattern any design you want. 

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Clermont said:

Yeah we’ve covered this about grated windows before and I got a few good idea’s, the one we went with was grated on hinge’s that are lockable with a key for the lock hung up close on a hook, cheap effective and you can make the grated pattern any design you want. 

A long time ago an AirBnb I rented had that type of set up. At first I thought it was a great idea. On closer inspection I noted the lock was quite rusty. Tried the key and of course it didn’t open the lock. I mentioned it to the property manager and all I got was shrugged shoulders. She said she’d notify the owner. No idea if they ever changed it or not.

Lesson being if you opt for that type of set up: buy a good quality lock! Also periodically open the lock and spray some machine oil into it. 

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Thanks  we thought of that scenario too and went small padlocks 

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
On 2/29/2024 at 3:48 AM, Lee said:

The window bars become prime bird roosting perches

To help stop the poop problem, we installed very thin black netting to cover the upstairs window bars.

The netting is basically invisible from ground level.

• Like 1