Receive change in the store

Viking
Posted
Posted

Back in Sweden when I go shopping in a store and pay in cash, I always give an amount minimizing the change I will be handed back. 

Example, the groceries cost 905 sek, I give them 1005 sek and get 100 sek back.

I have tried doing the same thing here but it just seems to complicate things for them and they look really confused. They first return the 5 peso coin and then another 95 pesos instead of giving me the 100 peso bill that I wanted, hahaha.

Anyone else who has noticed this or did I just have bad luck??

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

In the same circumstances I'm often asked for the 5 peso so they can give me the 100 peso note. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

In the same circumstances I'm often asked for the 5 peso so they can give me the 100 peso note. 

I think this is a recent development???  I have noticed it at fast food places and I am guessing Mcd and others added some software to suggest to the cashier what to ask for in order to get give a nice even change back?  I don't think the vast majority of cashiers can do that in their head quickly.

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't think the vast majority of cashiers can do that in their head quickly.

Being products of an often poor school system, the locals aren't known for their math wizardry.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think this is a recent development???  I have noticed it at fast food places and I am guessing Mcd and others added some software to suggest to the cashier what to ask for in order to get give a nice even change back?  I don't think the vast majority of cashiers can do that in their head quickly.

It's only been in the last 2 years that I noticed it now that I think about it, mainly in chain stores/food outlets. The Food Panda/Grab Food guys as well as the Shoppee and Lazada delivery men do the same.  On the other hand, the trike/pedi drivers around here would still rather give you 100 pesos worth of 5 peso coins rather than part company with paper/polymer currency. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted

From my experience, in SM Store and fast food stores they will almost always ask for change to make the change a round number - sometimes this seems a bit OTT for me as it often means only the difference between getting a coin versus a note in change, or a larger coin versus a smaller one. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

From my experience, in SM Store and fast food stores they will almost always ask for change to make the change a round number - sometimes this seems a bit OTT for me as it often means only the difference between getting a coin versus a note in change, or a larger coin versus a smaller one. 

I seem to remember an ordinance  was issued some time ago about this and telling Store operators must have adequate change But..................................:571c66d400c8c_1(103): Ah! Found it****************

What is the Republic Act for giving exact change?

Republic Act 10909, also known as the The Exact Change Act, aims to protect consumers from losing money to sellers or businesses that do not give the exact change to their customers.Sep 30, 2016
Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Lee said:

Being products of an often poor school system, the locals aren't known for their math wizardry.

Not just the locals here. Plenty of dummies working the cash registers in the USA too! 🤣

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Not just the locals here. Plenty of dummies working the cash registers in the USA too!

World wide

• Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Fast food places are actually much better in this regard, maybe because they have some software to help the cashier. I mostly experience my "problem" in the bigger stores like SM and Puregold.

• Like 1