Receive change in the store

hk blues
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Viking said:

Fast food places are actually much better in this regard, maybe because they have some software to help the cashier. I mostly experience my "problem" in the bigger stores like SM and Puregold.

I wonder if they do have software though - they seem to be able to adapt to whatever I offer them quickly without tapping any buttons on their screen?

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Same.. i have a bag of coins with me usually so when Im in supermarket  it P404 and I give P500 i add 4...... and sometimes it works as planned and sometimes not.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I wonder if they do have software though - they seem to be able to adapt to whatever I offer them quickly without tapping any buttons on their screen?

I would bet they do and it with today's programming advances, it could be displayed in plain English.

3 hours ago, Freebie said:

i have a bag of coins with me usually so when Im in supermarket  it P404 and I give P500 i add 4...... and sometimes it works as planned and sometimes not.

E,g.  Display to the cashier after they put in the amount tendered by customer "Amount due is p404 and customer gave p500.  Ask customer for 4 pesos and give p100 change.  Or, give p96 change".  Other options might be displayed too.

Edited by OnMyWay

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Many people simply do not like to carry change and leave it at home, so stores frequently are short of change.  Ten years ago when we left the USA it was common to find a small dish at the cash registers filled with a few coins and a sign that saying "Take a coin, leave a coin".  Customers needed a bit of change can take some, those who don't care to carry change could leave it in the dish.  Seemed to work well and often used it and would leave smaller coins up to 10 cents.  I don't think it would work at all here as there would be lots of "takers" and no "givers". 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I would bet they do and it with today's programming advances, it could be displayed in plain English.

E,g.  Display to the cashier after they put in the amount tendered by customer "Amount due is p404 and customer gave p500.  Ask customer for 4 pesos and give p100 change.  Or, give p96 change".  Other options might be displayed too.

I'm skeptical to be honest - I cannot see any advantage to complicate what is a fairly simple transaction carried out all over the world with no issue.  The again, bearing in mind where we are...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Interesting tidbit about Chinese stores (which means most stores) in Fiji.

When paying for something using coins, the cashier or server counted them three times, every time. Then, when giving any change due, they would just dump the change into my hand then sort of rush me out the door with little chance to count. At least once I received a worthless coin (from some country I don't even remember) after I left the shop. It was about the size and weight of a Fijian coin worth maybe a quarter of a Fijian dollar. The Chinese there are thrifty and oft-times a bit sneaky....

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
On 3/6/2024 at 1:18 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Republic Act 10909, also known as the The Exact Change Act, aims to protect consumers from losing money to sellers or businesses that do not give the exact change to their customers.

As I recall, the act came about because stores would try to pay the small change owed to the customer in candy, etc instead of money.

• Like 2