BOC launches online baggage declaration for Cebu-bound passengers

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Things are changing these days and for the better in my opinion. 

BOC launches online baggage declaration for Cebu-bound passengers

CEBU CITY – The Bureau of Customs–Port of Cebu will implement the e-Travel Customs System to allow airline passengers and crew members arriving at the Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) to complete customs baggage and currency declaration online.

This move is in line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to digitalize all customs procedures, including dutiable items declaration upon airport arrival.

Gerardo Campo, subport of Mactan customs collector, said passengers who will be arriving in Cebu through the MCIA will experience ease in declaring their dutiable items or items in commercial quantity using the e-Travel Customs System 72 hours after the launching and dry-run of the system on Wednesday.

The BOC-Cebu has partnered with the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) in providing connectivity to run the e-Travel Customs System portal.

“Once it becomes fully operational, passengers who are still in the foreign land can register with the systems and declare their baggage and the currency they will carry with them,” Campo told the Philippine News Agency.

Upon arrival, the passengers will no longer fill up the customs declaration slips but instead log in to the e-Travel Customs System website through https://etravel.gov.ph or by scanning the quick response (QR) code 72 hours before their scheduled arrival at the MCIA.

“To avoid delays in the customs clearance process, a passenger has to complete the declaration using their smartphone, tablet, or laptop. All they need to have is an internet connection,” Campo said, adding that the system will also boost revenue collection of dutiable items to be brought by the passengers. (PNA)

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1220135

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Mactan airport have free wifi?  A lot of people won't have local sims when they arrive.

But other than that, it's a nice move. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

to allow

14 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

can register

14 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

All they need to have is an internet connection

Sounds to me that it will not be manditory...that good, because if I ever travel there, I won't be doing this online. 

10 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Mactan airport have free wifi?  A lot of people won't have local sims when they arrive.

If I read this right, a traveler will fill this out before boarding their flight, presumably in an advanced country that has good conductivity :whistling:

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Upon arrival, the passengers will no longer fill up the customs declaration slips but instead log in to the e-Travel Customs System website through https://etravel.gov.ph or by scanning the quick response (QR) code 72 hours before their scheduled arrival at the MCIA.

I guess they changed the rules again, but forgot to tell the airlines. I’m flying to Thailand in a few days and just got an email last night from the airline. It said: “Guests must register for eTravel not earlier than 72 hours before the flight and not later than 3 before the flight.”

Typical for the Phils - the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. To play it safe, I’ll register before my flights within the aforementioned window of time. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, scott h said:

Sounds to me that it will not be manditory...that good, because if I ever travel there, I won't be doing this online. 

If I read this right, a traveler will fill this out before boarding their flight, presumably in an advanced country that has good conductivity :whistling:

That'll teach me to just "skim" an article :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Gator said:

I guess they changed the rules again, but forgot to tell the airlines. I’m flying to Thailand in a few days and just got an email last night from the airline. It said: “Guests must register for eTravel not earlier than 72 hours before the flight and not later than 3 before the flight.”

Typical for the Phils - the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. To play it safe, I’ll register before my flights within the aforementioned window of time. 

When departing the Philippines, it only applies to Filipinos. https://etravel.gov.ph/frequently-asked-questions

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

When departing the Philippines, it only applies to Filipinos. https://etravel.gov.ph/frequently-asked-questions

Yes, I’m departing, but the email simply stated for flights eTravel was required. And the article clearly states “arriving passengers”, so it’s applicable to foreigners as well. 

Like I said, just another example of how the rules here are not always clear and, at least in this instance, there’s a clear lack of communication between the airlines and the government.

Edited by Gator

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gator said:

Yes, I’m departing, but the email simply stated for flights eTravel was required. And the article clearly states “arriving passengers”, so it’s applicable to foreigners as well. 

Like I said, just another example of how the rules here are not always clear and, at least in this instance, there’s a clear lack of communication between the airlines and the government.

Yes you are correct on arriving foreigners, but it clearly states that only departing Filipinos require to fill it out when departing.

Who are required to register or update in the eTravel?

The following shall be required to register/update in the eTravel System, except foreign diplomats, and their dependents, foreign dignitaries, and members of their delegation, 9(e) visa holders, and holders of diplomatic and official/service passport: Arriving Filipino and foreign crewmembers; Arriving Filipino and foreign passengers; and Departing Filipino passengers.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Arriving , everyone needs  Departing , only Filipinos.  This system in place since at least 6 months now.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Freebie said:

everyone needs  Departing

What I would like to know is what happens if you just show up? Do they have a paper alternative to fill out at the ticket Kounter? Or do they just not allow you to board the plane?

• Like 1