Ceiling cracks

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Another option is PVC ceiling panels.  Our home in San Carlos had the same issues with cracks and repaired a couple of times.  Since I am handy enough, I bought the panels and installed them myself.  If I remember, about 10k-12k per room and looks great.  Many choices and colors to choose from.  Added bonus is no rot and never need painted!  Most big hardware stores carry them but we bought on line as was much cheaper.  PVC ceiling tiles for me is the only way to go.

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, intrepid said:

Another option is PVC ceiling panels.  Our home in San Carlos had the same issues with cracks and repaired a couple of times.  Since I am handy enough, I bought the panels and installed them myself.  If I remember, about 10k-12k per room and looks great.  Many choices and colors to choose from.  Added bonus is no rot and never need painted!  Most big hardware stores carry them but we bought on line as was much cheaper.  PVC ceiling tiles for me is the only way to go.

I would not use these PVC tiles in the kitchen, they could release toxic gas, even kill if they catch fire.

Make sure they are 100% fire-proof and avoid rooms that are not well ventilated they can still release toxic gas over time.

PVC ceilings are not suitable for kitchens. One of the components used in manufacturing PVC materials is Chlorine, and therefore, over a period, some of the toxic chlorine gas can be released into the air. Additionally, PVC material is very toxic if burnt, making it not ideal for the kitchen area and ceiling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, jimeve said:

I would not use these PVC tiles in the kitchen, they could release toxic gas, even kill if they catch fire.

Make sure they are 100% fire-proof and avoid rooms that are not well ventilated they can still release toxic gas over time.

PVC ceilings are not suitable for kitchens. One of the components used in manufacturing PVC materials is Chlorine, and therefore, over a period, some of the toxic chlorine gas can be released into the air. Additionally, PVC material is very toxic if burnt, making it not ideal for the kitchen area and ceiling.

We are going to use some panels in our renovations.  Mostly accents.  Our dining room ceiling will have a panel in the center area.

UPVC is supposed to be safer.  I will probably go with WPC, which is made of wood and plastic.  More expensive but a more natural look.

We are probably going to buy an entertainment wall unit similar to this one.  I will ask what materials they use.

425848299_415982374118639_1910135890729398258_n.jpg

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We are probably going to buy an entertainment wall unit similar to this one.  I will ask what materials they use.

Most large pieces like this are made with MDF or HDF (medium or high density fiberboard).   Then some type of laminate or finish is applied.  They are both very stable, flat, and won't warp.   HDF is used a lot for engineered hardwood flooring.   MDF is more commonly used in furniture.

• Like 1

MikeyD
Posted
Posted
On 3/24/2024 at 6:33 PM, Boinky69 said:

Can you share a photo?

attached

On 3/24/2024 at 11:34 PM, OnMyWay said:

Gypsum?  We call it "drywall" in the U.S. 

Yes, gypsum was the other material he mentioned.

We had another guy come out take a look.  He recommended adding a layer of gypsum below the existing hardiflex in the second floor but not on the first floor, I'm not sure why he didn't recommend both but most of the cracks are on the second floor.  He thinks the heat is causing the cracks since there is no ventilation.  He said we might consider having a vent installed but said it would need to have a screen or something to prevent birds, snakes, etc from entering but rats might still be able to get through the screen, I guess by gnawing through it.

My wife wants to go ahead and have the existing cracks repaired.  We are pondering on a longer term plan/solution.  The house was finished being built last year and the guy says that houses sometimes have some settling for up to 5 years.  We have also noticed some hairline cracks in some of the wall surfaces but the guy said that was normal and not to worry unless we see them on the foundation posts.

ceiling.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

attached

Is that the ceiling?  On the ceiling, I was expecting the cracks to be straight and along a seam.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Is that the ceiling?  On the ceiling, I was expecting the cracks to be straight and along a seam.

It looks like it's coming from the corner of a ceiling hatch - possibly the thinset has cracked rather than the seam of the hardiflex.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Definitely not a seam in either gypsum or hardiflex.   This is a case where the framing of the ceiling has begun to shift to such an extent that the covering material has fractured.  If the underlying framing has now finished moving it can be repaired with tape and filler joint compound (drywall mud) or polyester filler.   If framing is not sufficient strong and tight it will probably continue to crack.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQQNtbk2px-oFbiNE0BBRONCO POLYESTER BODY FILLER - Globe International ...shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKKY2FRiFR-v2oLZdw5

• Thanks 1

MikeyD
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It looks like it's coming from the corner of a ceiling hatch - possibly the thinset has cracked rather than the seam of the hardiflex.

yes, that's the ceiling and this particular crack is coming from the corner of a lighting fixture.   Some of the other cracks were also near lighting fixtures and some were not.  By thinset, is that something they put on the hardiflex before painting?

2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Definitely not a seam in either gypsum or hardiflex.   This is a case where the framing of the ceiling has begun to shift to such an extent that the covering material has fractured.  If the underlying framing has now finished moving it can be repaired with tape and filler joint compound (drywall mud) or polyester filler.   If framing is not sufficient strong and tight it will probably continue to crack.

I'm pretty sure it is hardiflex.  For the cracks that have been repaired, the workers etched out the crack, then applied epoxy, waited for it to dry, then taped it, then applied something to smooth it out, then waited for it to dry, then sanded it and then finally painted.  

Is it unusual for the ceiling framing to shift in newer houses in the Philippines?  The guy did say something about the house settling for up to 5 years.  If so, that is pretty unsettling (pun intended) and makes me wonder how long we will have to deal with this issue.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

yes, that's the ceiling and this particular crack is coming from the corner of a lighting fixture.   Some of the other cracks were also near lighting fixtures and some were not.  By thinset, is that something they put on the hardiflex before painting?

The answer is - it depends!  The reason I suggested it is I cannot imagine how else a random irregular crack as you have shared can happen as it surely cant be the Hardiflex itself that cracked so it must be the top layer - it could be a paint layer but it would have to have been very thickly painted which is unlikely.