Ceiling cracks

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

The answer is - it depends!  The reason I suggested it is I cannot imagine how else a random irregular crack as you have shared can happen as it surely cant be the Hardiflex itself that cracked so it must be the top layer - it could be a paint layer but it would have to have been very thickly painted which is unlikely. 

Only needs etching the crack with a scraper or knife then apply putty, go over it twice because of shrinkage.

• Like 3

MikeyD
Posted
Posted

I think my wife and I are getting obsessed with these cracks but I'm uploading a picture of a crack on the outside that appears to be on one of the primary support posts.  It appears to be on the surface material.  The guy that came out said not to worry about hairline cracks in the walls unless they were on one of the support posts, we plan to try to meet with him again tomorrow to show him our new discovery.

In the last condo we stayed at there were cracks in the walls and that condo had been there a while so I began to think this kind of thing is normal here.

Regarding the recommendation to install a gypsum layer below the hardiflex on the second floor, my questions for the guy that recommended that are how does he know that will resolve the problem and exactly how they will attach the gypsum board to the ceiling support material without removing the hardiflex

MikeyD
Posted
Posted

Somehow I accidentally submitted my last post with finishing it ...

Other obvious questions are how much and how long and does he really know what is causing the issue.

now attaching the picture to this message instead of the last one.

outside crack.jpg

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Somehow I accidentally submitted my last post with finishing it ...

Other obvious questions are how much and how long and does he really know what is causing the issue.

now attaching the picture to this message instead of the last one.

outside crack.jpg

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I think my wife and I are getting obsessed with these cracks but I'm uploading a picture of a crack on the outside that appears to be on one of the primary support posts.  It appears to be on the surface material.  The guy that came out said not to worry about hairline cracks in the walls unless they were on one of the support posts, we plan to try to meet with him again tomorrow to show him our new discovery.

In the last condo we stayed at there were cracks in the walls and that condo had been there a while so I began to think this kind of thing is normal here.

Regarding the recommendation to install a gypsum layer below the hardiflex on the second floor, my questions for the guy that recommended that are how does he know that will resolve the problem and exactly how they will attach the gypsum board to the ceiling support material without removing the hardiflex

Hairline cracks are to be expected, and not something to be overly concerned about.  Of course, the question is how big is a hairline crack - in the photo you sent the crack seems to emanate from the valve so maybe the crack appeared when they fitted the valve.  Also, there are several cracks in the floor but all of them seem to be what I'd call hairline cracks - fine as long as they don't get any bigger.

As for the question of fitting gypsum over Hardiflex - it seems like a lazy solution when they should really remove the Hardiflex and replace.  Anyhow, it can be done as long as the joists are strong enough to support 2 ceilings - they will be able to screw through the Hardiflex onto the joists as the seams will likely be visible to some extent.  

• Like 3

Lee
Posted
Posted

I think that if it was me I would just fill the cracks, repaint, and see what happens in the future.

Are the white/blue marks on the floor part of the design or slopped paint?

Screenshot 2024-04-04 190406.png

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

A guess on my part.  Columns are made by pouring concrete into a form that surrounds a rebar cage.  After the column has set and the form removed a layer of fine mortar in applied, about an inch thick.  A trench was cut into the top one inch of mortar on the column, pipe installed, then mortar to fill the crack.  A bit of shrinkage in the mortar and not really a problem.  These hair line cracks are usually taken care of by mixing gypsum power (paster of Paris) with water to make a fine paste.  Use a flexible putty knife to force the mixture into the crack, sand, prime, and paint.  The stuff on the floor appears to be paint splatter.  You can buy gypsum powder in any hardware/paint store.  You can also buy it pre-mixed called Gypsum Putty.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
MikeyD
Posted
Posted

`

On 4/4/2024 at 7:10 PM, Lee said:

Are the white/blue marks on the floor part of the design or slopped paint?

The marks are not part of the design since it is just unfinished concrete, just drops of paint I think.

We found out that the crack on the outside is not on one of the primary support posts, just an exterior cover to pipes which is good news.

We have taken a break from this for now and mulling over what to do with the recommendation to add a layer of gypsum below the hardiflex on the 2nd floor ceiling, my wife is tired of workers coming into the house and having to clean up so time will tell what our next step will be.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

`

The marks are not part of the design since it is just unfinished concrete, just drops of paint I think.

We found out that the crack on the outside is not on one of the primary support posts, just an exterior cover to pipes which is good news.

We have taken a break from this for now and mulling over what to do with the recommendation to add a layer of gypsum below the hardiflex on the 2nd floor ceiling, my wife is tired of workers coming into the house and having to clean up so time will tell what our next step will be.

My concern would be that even after remedial action new cracks could appear - it's not an uncommon problem.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 4/3/2024 at 10:49 PM, jimeve said:

go over it twice because of shrinkage.

That's what she said... :mocking:

• Haha 3