Boracay land grab

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It's been a busy few months on Boracay with forced evictions and today was no exception.

The Yapak area of Boracay has seen over 7 hectares of land reclaimed recently and over 367 families excited. Today they just evicted a load more from an adjoining area. This time there were locals resisting and a few carted off in cuffs. 

No real information just yet except for the land owners decided to reclaim the land from tenants who were arguing that they'd paid rent. The Sherriff officers looked like they never had a clue as the paperwork had the wrong area on it but they still went ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

The Sherriff officers looked like they never had a clue as the paperwork had the wrong area on it but they still went ahead. 

As they do, Obey the last order right or WRONG, But then, we know where we are.....................................:tiphat:

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Article on it here, DAR cancelled the land ownership awards:
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1924354/castro-on-congressional-probe-re-displacement-of-atis-in-boracay

Can't find it now but I remember seeing a youtube video of the same happening in Pampanga a month or so ago, a load of people turned up with weapons and attacked/evicted everyone:
https://mb.com.ph/2024/3/5/senate-probe-into-dar-s-series-of-agrarian-reform-reversal-land-reconsolidation-sought

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It's been a busy few months on Boracay with forced evictions and today was no exception.

The Yapak area of Boracay has seen over 7 hectares of land reclaimed recently and over 367 families excited. Today they just evicted a load more from an adjoining area. This time there were locals resisting and a few carted off in cuffs. 

No real information just yet except for the land owners decided to reclaim the land from tenants who were arguing that they'd paid rent. The Sherriff officers looked like they never had a clue as the paperwork had the wrong area on it but they still went ahead. 

Is that the area where your place is 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, stevewool said:

Is that the area where your place is 

Just down the road. My property is on titled land. It would appear the land has been bought by one of the original clans with a reputation on land grabs. By my estimation they have now claimed over 10bn pesos of land. The land price according to the Land Registry is 100k peso per sqm. 

I foresaw a few years back the North end of the island being taken over by 5 star hotels and large development organizations. There's already a few started, one with condos smaller than mine starting at over 36m. I paid about a tenth of that for mine before fees about 7 yrs ago. Prices could now increase more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I'm surprised it took this long to happen... I'd be interested to know:

1. How much land was granted under the Agrarian Reform Bill back when Bam Bam's father instituted his own version, and
  2. Where it's located with relation to development potential and which version of the reforms it was granted under, and
  3. Would Bam Bam overturn his father's original legislation?  It's one of the reasons why Bam Bam Sr is remembered with such fondness by people in their 70's and 80's despite the fact his was not the original iteration.  

This has the potential to affect  millions of people as since it's inception in the 1940's version it's been implemented on more than just farmland in various updates/rewrites/restructuring of the system.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

The latest news from Boracay:

Aklan PPO Police Assistance during Demolition, Successful 

ILOILO CITY – The execution of a Writ of Demolition on Civil Case in Barangay Yapak, Boracay Island, Malay, Aklan carried out on April 2, 2024 was successful. The police assistance extended by the Philippine National Police (PNP) was conducted smoothly and in accordance with the law.

The implementation of the Writ of Demolition is a continuation of the enforcement initiated in January 2024. Subsequent notices and warnings were served to the defendants, urging them to vacate the premises and turn over possession of the subject property, which involves  7.9 hectare lot. 

Prior to the final execution, a Pre-Demolition Conference was convened last November 2023 to ensure transparency and adherence to due process.

On the morning of April 2, 2024, a pre-deployment briefing was conducted with the deployed PNP security personnel to ensure the operation proceeded with safety and efficiency. However, during the implementation five individuals from Barangay Yapak, Boracay Island, Malay, Aklan, resisted the legal orders from the implementing sheriff, displaying deliberate acts to obstruct the demolition team and subsequently, they were apprehended. 

The following day, April 3, 2024, a case of Resistance and Disobedience upon an Agent of Person in Authority was filed against them through Inquest Proceedings. However, the case was dismissed due to procedural reasons. 

This successful execution of the Writ of Demolition underscores the importance of upholding legal processes and the rule of law in addressing disputes. The authorities remain steadfast in their commitment to ensure that justice is served and that the rights of all parties involved are respected.

PRO6 Regional Director, PBGEN Jack L Wanky, lauded the efforts of the deployed PNP personnel for the smooth and secure implementation of the demolition.

“I commend the diligent efforts of our personnel and all involved agencies for the successful implementation of the demolition operation in Malay, Aklan. Your dedication to upholding the rule of law and ensuring the peaceful execution of legal processes is truly commendable. Let this successful implementation serve as a reminder that the PNP remains steadfast in its duty to serve and protect the Filipino people,” said PBGEN Wanky, PRO6 top cop.

#ToServeandToProtect 
#SerbisyongNagkakaisa 
#BagongPilipinas
#PCADGWesternVisayas
Source: Regional Public Information Office 6

This now means the Tirol family have claimed a total of 16.7 hectares of land with a value of 16.8bn pesos in the last few months with lots more land signposted for eviction. 

• Hmm thinking 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Where did the families they moved go to , are they still on Boracay or have been moved of the island I wonder 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Best to remember that Land grab is one of  if not  top of list of Motives for Murder here :tiphat:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Where did the families they moved go to , are they still on Boracay or have been moved of the island I wonder 

Some have set up squatter areas on the pavement. The others no doubt just set up home elsewhere on the islands.