Why?

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We are getting some windows installed in our terrace.  We are using the same contractor we've used before but he started the job and passed on to his employees.   I checked in with them and they seemed to be doing OK.  I was busy later in the day so wasn't able to see how things were going before they left. Probably just as well!  What a S***-Show!  The only logical conclusions are sabotage or EXTREME carelessness.  Things such as installing connecting bars on frames an inch or two below the ceiling so fixing the frames to the ceiling is less than effective. Why?  Also, using silicon to fix the frame to the base rather than screwing.  Again, why?  And that's not getting into squint frames and worse of all, cladding not even close to marching the frame i.e. rectangles where 'L' shape is required. Again, Why?  And, a few of the pieces of cladding they installed (badly) were lying in the garden today! 

Anyway, the contractor came this morning and will now complete the job himself.  It was kinda awkward as yesterday's guys were there but hey ho.  I feel slightly sorry for the contractor as he will need to replace a fair bit of material and labour for yesterday was wasted but it's on him as he trusted the guys he sent. 

I have been pondering since last night why this happened and just cannot fathom it.  I've had plenty of work done to varying standards but this is beyond normal levels of poor workmanship.  

• Sad 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I have been pondering since last night why this happened and just cannot fathom it.

Perhaps this will help.

In the US, it's often said that when the cat's away, the mice will play.

Get a crew of inexperienced workers with some perhaps feeling like they are being underpaid with no supervision---anything is possible. The workers know that they won't have to answer for their shoddy work---their boss will----allowing them to feign ignorance of what they did. Just a thought.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Lee said:

Perhaps this will help.

In the US, it's often said that when the cat's away, the mice will play.

Get a crew of inexperienced workers with some perhaps feeling like they are being underpaid with no supervision---anything is possible. The workers know that they won't have to answer for their shoddy work---their boss will----allowing them to feign ignorance of what they did. Just a thought.

No on all counts.

They were not inexperienced,  nor were they being underpaid as they were getting 1k a day each - I know because I paid them.  As for not having to answer for their shoddy work - they most certainly did pay for it as they were fired from the job at 9am this morning.

This was next level shoddiness - my wife is of the opinion that they were deliberately trying to sabotage the job as there is really no other viable explanation. I hate to agree but based on the above I can't think of anything else.  

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

They were not inexperienced,  nor were they being underpaid as they were getting 1k a day each - I know because I paid them.  As for not having to answer for their shoddy work - they most certainly did pay for it as they were fired from the job at 9am this morning.

With more facts provided then obviously my theory has fallen apart.

Perhaps they wanted to quit but by provoking the boss to fire them instead gives them someone other than themselves to blame for being out of work. Is there a big barrio fest or b day party coming up soon? 

Perhaps the crews boss can shed some light here----did you ask him??  IDK.

Edited by Lee

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

With more facts provided then obviously my theory has fallen apart.

Perhaps they wanted to quit but by provoking the boss to fire them instead gives them someone other than themselves to blame for being out of work. Is there a big barrio fest or b day party coming up soon? 

Perhaps the crews boss can shed some light here----did you ask him??  IDK.

Like many workers here, they don't necessarily work only for one 'boss' and tend to sub-contract as required.  I assumed he'd used them before and knew the quality of their work based on his own standards - I stand by that assumption being reasonable.  It was obviously wrong, though.  I decided not to get into the why's and wherefore's with the contractor as he's taking the hit and I saw no point getting into the detail.  

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Never underestimate the incompetence of workers. :bonk:

Not on the same level but my aircon in a rental was leaking bad and I knew it would need some plaster removed to access the drainage pipes. I'd watched the workers doing a similar repair on a condo two doors down from me and they never used dust sheets so made a right mess and walked the plaster into the parquet flooring and all over the condo. 

I instructed my partner that they must put dust sheets down to catch all the mess as we had quests arriving in 4 hrs. I've trapped a nerve in my back so couldn't supervise but after a couple of hours doubt got the better of me and I went to view how they were getting on. They'd laid a dust sheet down and managed to miss it with most of the plaster and had been walking in and out dragging the plaster everywhere. Even into the shower and CR. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by Snowy79
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Typical. I was just on the phone tonight explaining to my friend about the repair I got to my aircon and was saying I paid over the odds but at least it's finally fixed, then my partner piped up that it's still leaking. 

I asked her how it could still be leaking and why didn't she mention it to me as it was allegedly repaired 8 hrs ago. It turns out they'd removed all the plaster to get to the drainage pipes, did something to them, then re-plastered the ceiling and painted it but not tested it. The new guests had messaged her to inform her of the leak. FFS. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

We are getting some windows installed in our terrace.  We are using the same contractor we've used before but he started the job and passed on to his employees.   I checked in with them and they seemed to be doing OK.  I was busy later in the day so wasn't able to see how things were going before they left. Probably just as well!  What a S***-Show!  The only logical conclusions are sabotage or EXTREME carelessness.  Things such as installing connecting bars on frames an inch or two below the ceiling so fixing the frames to the ceiling is less than effective. Why?  Also, using silicon to fix the frame to the base rather than screwing.  Again, why?  And that's not getting into squint frames and worse of all, cladding not even close to marching the frame i.e. rectangles where 'L' shape is required. Again, Why?  And, a few of the pieces of cladding they installed (badly) were lying in the garden today! 

Anyway, the contractor came this morning and will now complete the job himself.  It was kinda awkward as yesterday's guys were there but hey ho.  I feel slightly sorry for the contractor as he will need to replace a fair bit of material and labour for yesterday was wasted but it's on him as he trusted the guys he sent. 

I have been pondering since last night why this happened and just cannot fathom it.  I've had plenty of work done to varying standards but this is beyond normal levels of poor workmanship.  

Thanks for the heads up.  We will probably hire a UPVC window / door maker on Monday.  Going to see their factory and make a down payment.  They came for a site visit here today.  I'm getting 2 windows and 2 sliding doors, and they are not cheap.  Have gotten 3-4 quotes and for some reason the "wood-look" cost twice as much as plain white. 

This is the company:

https://www.facebook.com/upvcbyartem/

I will write down some questions to ask Monday about their installers.  Sub-contractors or in-house, time with company, quality control, etc.

I asked why to one guy at another company why the wood look is so expensive.  He said...

"Bcoz it is laminated and kinda rare. Mostly used by upperclass".

Sooo, if I were to get the cheap white ones, I am lower class! :shock_40_anim_gif:

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Never underestimate the incompetence of workers. :bonk:

After 9 years and numerous projects I don't - but I still reserve the right to shake my head at the more extreme examples! 

• Haha 2