Comparing Where You Come From To Where You Are Now Or Want To Be

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I wonder if anyone would like to take a stab at comparing the differences between their past home areas and their current or future homes in the Philippines?For us many things are the same. The weather in Florida is very similar to Cebu yet there are many other differences.In Cebu I do not feel the need to drive, not sure why and maybe that will change when and if we live there full time but not having to drive has been a blessing or sorts and is very relaxing but at times it can get frustrating not being able to just shop for something and put it in the car and take it home. Food shopping has to be less so that we can carry it but be seem to go out shopping more frequently and hang out and walk while in the malls and then shop before going home and then that it really does not seem to matter that much and being out running around makes for a healthier lifestyle anyway IMO.When we are in either of our homes then it is basically the same although our home in the US is larger and seems to be laid out much better than our condo but whose fault is that, I guess it is the fault of how things seem to be done in the Philippines and of our having to buy something within our price range for a second home.So I guess wherever a person lives it can be home and I am just not sure what the total allure of the Philippines is for many of us except of course because it is home for our spouses or a place to easily find a gf or wife. Maybe some of you might have much better answers because this one seems to allude me at times, because I know there is something that draws me but I still am not sure what the heck it is.

Mik
Posted
Posted

The people in Cebu are warm and happy, back where I come from they were cold and crappy.The people here are smaller so I am taller.The people here are slim and wear clothes for summer, back where I come from they have a big bummer..

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I wonder if anyone would like to take a stab at comparing the differences between their past home areas and their current or future homes in the Philippines?For us many things are the same. The weather in Florida is very similar to Cebu yet there are many other differences.In Cebu I do not feel the need to drive, not sure why and maybe that will change when and if we live there full time but not having to drive has been a blessing or sorts and is very relaxing but at times it can get frustrating not being able to just shop for something and put it in the car and take it home. Food shopping has to be less so that we can carry it but be seem to go out shopping more frequently and hang out and walk while in the malls and then shop before going home and then that it really does not seem to matter that much and being out running around makes for a healthier lifestyle anyway IMO.When we are in either of our homes then it is basically the same although our home in the US is larger and seems to be laid out much better than our condo but whose fault is that, I guess it is the fault of how things seem to be done in the Philippines and of our having to buy something within our price range for a second home.So I guess wherever a person lives it can be home and I am just not sure what the total allure of the Philippines is for many of us except of course because it is home for our spouses or a place to easily find a gf or wife. Maybe some of you might have much better answers because this one seems to allude me at times, because I know there is something that draws me but I still am not sure what the heck it is.
Other than lower cost of living and easy access to the rest of Asia for traveling, I have not found anything that is better in the Philippines than it is in the US. I don't think the people are significantly friendlier, the allure of the culture escapes me, the govt. is a sad joke, its very polluted, and crime is much worse here.
  • Like 1

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted (edited)
Other than lower cost of living and easy access to the rest of Asia for traveling, I have not found anything that is better in the Philippines than it is in the US. I don't think the people are significantly friendlier, the allure of the culture escapes me, the govt. is a sad joke, its very polluted, and crime is much worse here.
It is acknowledged that weather is a matter of taste. There is a winter in my last US home in Raleigh, NC. A lot of Florida also has a winter, certainly it could get a bit cold in Central Florida. There is only a southern Florida that is like the Philippines. If you like year round tropical -- it is a positive here.In my assessment, it is the cost of labor that makes the most significant difference in the cost and quality of living here. This is reflected in direct labor like helpers/ maids, drivers, etc, the cost of restaurant dinners and misc. other things. At the same time, the cost housing, raw materials and resources are not lower here. Electricity and water are overall higher. In my view the cost of labor and help is a major plus in enhancing the quality of life. We don't do or worry about house work any more and can come and go as we please without worry about finding someone to look after our son. I could not afford or manage this in the US. I could not use taxis as a mode of transportation in New York (expensive) or Raleigh (not available).I think the people here are significantly friendlier than the US. Most I encounter speak English and try to be helpful. I rarely get addressed as sir, thanked for my business, and welcomed in stores and restaurants in the US or any place else in the world. While some may consider this as insincere, the reality is -- it does not matter. The act reflects a level of respect, dignity, and a positive environment that is special and unique. At the same time, people are genuinely humble, proud to be Filipino, accept US/ Western culture, love to have fun, and overall accept differences in others. One interesting example is the acceptance of gays here.I agree that crime and pollution are worse here in the big cities. Crime is everywhere but goes with the territory of poverty. I have to share a story done with some embarrassment. I had loaned a friend here a good sum of money. She provided a partial repayment unexpectedly to me a day when we met at the mall. It was $1000, 10 $100 bills. I had no choice but to put the money in my pocket as we had a full day planned with lunch and school interviews. I thought I remembered putting the money in the safe at the temporary residence where we were staying and only realized when I went to use it for my rental security deposit, it was not there. I re-thought my steps and realized that I must have dropped it in a restaurant where we had lunch that day. Upon returning to that restaurant, I met with the restaurant staff and they called the owner. On the day I lost it the staff on finding it, gave the money to the owner and after asking me questions to confirm my loss she returned it to me completely. I never shared this with my wife, as she would lecture me about being careless. This is an anecdotal but true story. One could argue how many places in the world could this happen and I never expected it to happen here -- but it did.Amidst the poverty and crime there are a lot of honest, positive, and genuinely nice people here. Some of the nicest people I have met in my life (including my wife of course) are Filipino. Finally, this asthetic purposes only, and again a matter of taste but I also find what appears to be a much higher proportion of beautiful women here than in the US. Edited by Gold Heart
  • Like 1

Guardian
Posted
Posted
It is acknowledged that weather is a matter of taste. There is a winter in my last US home in Raleigh, NC. A lot of Florida also has a winter, certainly it could get a bit cold in Central Florida. There is only a southern Florida that is like the Philippines. If you like year round tropical -- it is a positive here.In my assessment, it is the cost of labor that makes the most significant difference in the cost and quality of living here. This is reflected in direct labor like helpers/ maids, drivers, etc, the cost of restaurant dinners and misc. other things. At the same time, the cost housing, raw materials and resources are not lower here. Electricity and water are overall higher. In my view the cost of labor and help is a major plus in enhancing the quality of life. We don't do or worry about house work any more and can come and go as we please without worry about finding someone to look after our son. I could not afford or manage this in the US. I could not use taxis as a mode of transportation in New York (expensive) or Raleigh (not available).I think the people here are significantly friendlier than the US. Most I encounter speak English and try to be helpful. I rarely get addressed as sir, thanked for my business, and welcomed in stores and restaurants in the US or any place else in the world. While some may consider this as insincere, the reality is -- it does not matter. The act reflects a level of respect, dignity, and a positive environment that is special and unique. At the same time, people are genuinely humble, proud to be Filipino, accept US/ Western culture, love to have fun, and overall accept differences in others. One interesting example is the acceptance of gays here.I agree that crime and pollution are worse here in the big cities. Crime is everywhere but goes with the territory of poverty. I have to share a story done with some embarrassment. I had loaned a friend here a good sum of money. She provided a partial repayment unexpectedly to me a day when we met at the mall. It was $1000, 10 $100 bills. I had no choice but to put the money in my pocket as we had a full day planned with lunch and school interviews. I thought I remembered putting the money in the safe at the temporary residence where we were staying and only realized when I went to use it for my rental security deposit, it was not there. I re-thought my steps and realized that I must have dropped it in a restaurant where we had lunch that day. Upon returning to that restaurant, I met with the restaurant staff and they called the owner. On the day I lost it the staff on finding it, gave the money to the owner and after asking me questions to confirm my loss she returned it to me completely. I never shared this with my wife, as she would lecture me about being careless. This is an anecdotal but true story. One could argue how many places in the world could this happen and I never expected it to happen here -- but it did.Amidst the poverty and crime there are a lot of honest, positive, and genuinely nice people here. Some of the nicest people I have met in my life (including my wife of course) are Filipino. Finally, this asthetic purposes only, and again a matter of taste but I also find what appears to be a much higher proportion of beautiful women here than in the US.
I have never been to the Philippines so I really have nothing to compare it to but I can tell those of you who have not been back to the states for a while that once you do return you will find it to not be the same place you left and some of your unhappy thoughts about the Philippines may make you wish you were back there. Thank you Gold Heart for a balanced post. I have found that nothing in life is perfect and it surely is not what we remembered it once was, when I went back to my state of birth I was sadly disappointed and would never wish to live there again. Positive old thoughts never seem to be reality.

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gold Heart and Mason - as always, interesting posts and a great story about the return of your money. That is a staggering amount, perhaps a year's salary for a restaurant worker.Pollution, crime and corruption are certainly much worse there then anywhere I have lived in the US, and that includes NYC for many years.The abundance of cheap labor is due to overpopulation. Every year the Philippine population increases by over 2 million people, most born to those who can afford them the least. The economy cannot support all these people and the ones who are lucky enough to get overseas jobs are almost always underpaid and exploited. I know I am stating the obvious.In spite of their hardships and daily struggles, I am amazed by the natural friendliness of almost all the people I have met there. Perhaps because of the "bahala na" attitude or perhaps because I have never lived there and am being naive about their motives or how things really are. I don't know. There is no way of knowing for sure except to try it and see if it suits me. Happy New Year to everyone!

Edited by MikeB
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Gold Heart and Mason - as always, interesting posts and a great story about the return of your money. That is a staggering amount, perhaps a year's salary for a restaurant worker.Pollution, crime and corruption are certainly much worse there then anywhere I have lived in the US, and that includes NYC for many years.The abundance of cheap labor is due to overpopulation. Every year the Philippine population increases by over 2 million people, most born to those who can afford them the least. The economy cannot support all these people and the ones who are lucky enough to get overseas jobs are almost always underpaid and exploited. I know I am stating the obvious.In spite of their hardships and daily struggles, I am amazed by the natural friendliness of almost all the people I have met there. Perhaps because of the "bahala na" attitude or perhaps because I have never lived there and am being naive about their motives or how things really are. I don't know. There is no way of knowing for sure except to try it and see if it suits me. Happy New Year to everyone!
Happy New year to you too Mike and lets hope it is a great new year. :541:Life is all about balance and I feel that if a person goes into something with a positive attitude and does not allow some of the negatives overshadow the positives then they can be very happy. Our good experiences within the Philippines have more than overrode the bad experiences and I feel that the majority of Filipinos are sincere in their kindness to us but some do have ulterior motives and I have also found that to be true with many people that I have met along the way in the US and other places. Seems many people try to get close to you when they think you have something for them to gain from, while others are just happy to be your friend for the friendship you offer them. One thing that I also have learned is that many Filipinos seem to think that many of us are drunks, perverts, lowlifes etc, because that is what they see most often. I have had way too many Filipinos say to me "sir Lee you are different than other kanos I have met" and that tells me that most kanos must be AH's and treat Filipinos poorly, so what do they do, treat us all the same as they would treat those AH's until we prove we do not fit that mold. Remember all, we need to change the local Filipinos opinions of us one Filipino at a time and show them we are not all trash like some expats they meet. Seems many of us treat ladies OK but seem to treat the men differently, why the heck is that?I recently had a great experience with our friend who I now consider like a son who sold us our condos and who looks after them for us when we are not there. First of all he never asks us for anything even when he often struggles during his daily life. Anyway, he text me to tell me that one tenant would be moving out and wanted to work out the details with us, he did not have to since we have given him full control to do as he wishes, yet he felt the need to ask permission on how to handle the security deposits which he holds in his account and some other issues and we trust him and we are not talking small amounts of money here in total by Filipino standards. I told him to hold any possible rents for the last couple of months in case he needed the money to return to the tenant and to do what needed to be done and he told me that he has more than enough in his own account to cover it all and that he would straighten out with us upon our return and refused to hold any additional money. I asked how the heck he had enough to return the deposits and to clean up the units for the next possible renter and also to have a wall built between two units once one person moves out, and he said that he had also been putting in some of his fees into his savings and therefore had enough to cover repairs, painting and preparation to get them ready for the next tenant. He of course did not have to do that, so he is not only honest but too honest and IMO he deserves only the best that I can help him to achieve in life. This young Filipino man is a shining example for other not so shining Filipinos to follow IMO. We need to judge each and every individual for themselves and not as a whole and if one Filipino cheats us or plays us, does not make them all bad and I only hope you all can make some great Filipino friends like we have been blessed with.My advice to everyone, try to get to know the average hard working people, from the security guard to the waiter in the restaurant, to the repairman, to the taxi driver and so on and so on and you will find joys and blessings in their friendship beyond belief.
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
I agree with the majority of what "The Mason" had to say about the Philippines! I'm Filipino myself, but grew up in California and been in the U.S. military or worked for the U.S. Government for 30 years and had many trips to the Philippines between 1968 to the present and have seen all of the changes that the Philippines has gone through over the years! Local Government, the filthy environment, traffic grid lock, transportation, poverty, cost/availability of health care/medicines, tax revenues, immigration bureaucratic red tape and employment opportunities has not improved in 40 years! The only thing going for the Philippines is their low cost of living and that's only because of the devaluation of their local currency! That's the only main reason why we are living in the Philippines, because we could not afford to retire in the U.S.! But, it's truly bearable to live here in the Philippines even with all it's faults and disadvantages! Just have to learn to adjust and cope with any situation that may present itself! Mabuhay to all!!!!!:551::) Edited by Art & Jho
  • Like 1

Matt
Posted
Posted

I will start with my life in the UK before i came here, then what my life he is like so you can compare them. In the UK for the previous 5 years before i moved to the Philippines i ran my own business as a same day courier service. I had 4 people working for me, and i also was out on the road with them, dealing with our clients needs. My main jobs where to take calls, and get the person nearest to that destination as quickly as possible. As the years went on i acquired more clients and the work load was becoming increasingly heavy. I would spend most of the day on the phone, trying to organise drivers, at the same time do my own pick ups and deliveries. Their was never a day that went perfectly normal, there would always be some problem, heavy traffic, break downs, waiting for pick ups or waiting around for delieving the item, the list can go on. You had to make excuses to clients when they became irrate that their parcel had not arrived on time. I would work 5 days a week, and on saturday to my invoicing and paper work, and try and relax on sunday. The more i earnt the more the taxman would take. Plus to my own confession i would buy stuff that i did not really need, but thought at the time i did. So much materialistic things. That was my working life. As for my private life, i never had time to meet any girlfriend, or even if i had she would never see me much as i would be working 12 to 16 hours a day. My neighbours i knew of them, but they kept themselves to themselves, apart from one who was a good friend of mine. No one talk to each other, and if you said hello to a stranger in the street they would think you where about to rob them. I had some good friends there, who i am still in contact with, but mainly spoke to them on the phone as i had no time to actually see them. The people who worked for me, where my main inportance as they relied on me to pay them at the end of the week. I was getting taxed left, right and center by the government. Then the resession started to bite and i started losing clients who could no longer afford to pay for the service, instead using their own staff members to deliver things. As the resession took hold i started to lose more and more business, and it became harder to keep all my drivers working all day long, untill became to the point that they could be sitting around all day without any work on. Luckily for me, i was good freinds with other local courier companies who where bigger and had more clients that i ever had, and was able to give my drivers work through them. After 5 years and making a huge loss, i decided to take some time out and go to Spain for a few months. Whilst there i started to think about moving out here to the Philippines, i had my pension from the army which i worked out i could survive on. I also realised that i did not need all this materialistic things in my life. I realised i was lonely and my business was my life, and for what. To lose money each week. So i said to myself i will give myself six months to move out. The of departure would be 4th of June. So i got back to the UK, started closing the business informing releveant agencies, started to sell my things that i did not need and kept to a plan that i would be leaving for good on the 4th of June. 4th of June came and i was packed up and ready to leave at the airport. I admit i did not know what to expect and had my reservations, but kepting telling myself if i did not try i would never know. I had never been to Cebu before, i had been to Manila before on a coulple of occasions, but that was it. I had made some freinds through a forum, Brock on here being one of them, where i was welcomed by his wife and family when i first got here. I stayed there for 3 weeks in the city, before i moved off to meet another friend Alex here in Dalaguete, who had found me a more permanent place to stay. I had never met Alex in person, unlike Brock who i met in the UK before leaving. So i was putting some trust in to him, that he was genuine, which i can gladly report he is and is a good friend of mine now. Now what is life like for me here in Dalaguete, in the 7 months i have lived here, i found myself a beautiful girl who lived here all her life, she is wonderful. So i am no longer lonely. I do not have to get up at 5am 5 days a week. I am a lot less stressed out about things, and far more relaxed. I know most of the people around me who live here, and i am known by more people that i actually know myself. Of course they were suspicious of me at first, who is this westerner moving in, even my girl friend was like this at first. But over the months the people around me see that i am a good westerner who does not sleep around, sticks with one girl, always polite and courteous to everyone i meet. I have also put my girl friend in college to become a teacher in 4 years time. We hope to marry this coming year. Everyone i met has been polite to me, i have yet to come across someone who is not. I can walk up my street and asked how i am, something that would never happen in the UK. It reminds me of my childhood in the UK, when i lived in a village and everyone knows everyone and there is a real sense of a community. I live in the province and right on the coast so i have no pollution problems what so ever. I dont take an interest in the political system as there is nothing i can do about it, so why bother. And even though there is poverty here, everyone especially the children always have a smile on their face and seem happy with what they have. I see children run up and down the beach with an old tyre and stick trying to keep it up right for hours and they are all laughing and enjoying themsleves. Give that to a child in the UK and they would laugh in your face and then have a tantrum as they wanted the lastest computer gadget. Life is simpler here, even for me, which i intended to happen and for it i am a lot happier in my life. I have made some very good friends here both westerners and Filipinos. I feel at home and safe in my barangy and welcomed with open arms. So the contrast between being in the UK and being here in the Philippines is quite wide. Yes i gave up some comforts to be here, but that is well over shadowed by the life i have here now. I came here for 4 main reasons. The culture, the weather ( as it can get quite cold in the UK during winter ) and the cost of living and not least to find myself a girl who i can marry and have a family with. Yes there may be faults here, but i found the UK to have far more. I have nothing in the UK to back to, I have no family due to reason i will only tell people i actually meet, as it is personal. I have never been married or had children yet. I feel life is just starting for me again, and though i have only been here for 8 months so far, i still feel it is by far the best decision i have ever made, and one i do not regret one little bit. I live in a tropical climate, ( I am a sunaholic) i found a wonderful girl to be with, i have made many more genuine friends here, and can live comfortably with what i get from the army. I love the community spirit here aswell. Well thats my story and my comparision from where i came from and where i am today. I know not everyone will have the same view, but this is my experience, and feel a good one at that.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I will start with my life in the UK before i came here, then what my life he is like so you can compare them. In the UK for the previous 5 years before i moved to the Philippines i ran my own business as a same day courier service. I had 4 people working for me, and i also was out on the road with them, dealing with our clients needs. My main jobs where to take calls, and get the person nearest to that destination as quickly as possible. As the years went on i acquired more clients and the work load was becoming increasingly heavy. I would spend most of the day on the phone, trying to organise drivers, at the same time do my own pick ups and deliveries. Their was never a day that went perfectly normal, there would always be some problem, heavy traffic, break downs, waiting for pick ups or waiting around for delieving the item, the list can go on. You had to make excuses to clients when they became irrate that their parcel had not arrived on time. I would work 5 days a week, and on saturday to my invoicing and paper work, and try and relax on sunday. The more i earnt the more the taxman would take. Plus to my own confession i would buy stuff that i did not really need, but thought at the time i did. So much materialistic things. That was my working life. As for my private life, i never had time to meet any girlfriend, or even if i had she would never see me much as i would be working 12 to 16 hours a day. My neighbours i knew of them, but they kept themselves to themselves, apart from one who was a good friend of mine. No one talk to each other, and if you said hello to a stranger in the street they would think you where about to rob them. I had some good friends there, who i am still in contact with, but mainly spoke to them on the phone as i had no time to actually see them. The people who worked for me, where my main inportance as they relied on me to pay them at the end of the week. I was getting taxed left, right and center by the government. Then the resession started to bite and i started losing clients who could no longer afford to pay for the service, instead using their own staff members to deliver things. As the resession took hold i started to lose more and more business, and it became harder to keep all my drivers working all day long, untill became to the point that they could be sitting around all day without any work on. Luckily for me, i was good freinds with other local courier companies who where bigger and had more clients that i ever had, and was able to give my drivers work through them. After 5 years and making a huge loss, i decided to take some time out and go to Spain for a few months. Whilst there i started to think about moving out here to the Philippines, i had my pension from the army which i worked out i could survive on. I also realised that i did not need all this materialistic things in my life. I realised i was lonely and my business was my life, and for what. To lose money each week. So i said to myself i will give myself six months to move out. The of departure would be 4th of June. So i got back to the UK, started closing the business informing releveant agencies, started to sell my things that i did not need and kept to a plan that i would be leaving for good on the 4th of June. 4th of June came and i was packed up and ready to leave at the airport. I admit i did not know what to expect and had my reservations, but kepting telling myself if i did not try i would never know. I had never been to Cebu before, i had been to Manila before on a coulple of occasions, but that was it. I had made some freinds through a forum, Brock on here being one of them, where i was welcomed by his wife and family when i first got here. I stayed there for 3 weeks in the city, before i moved off to meet another friend Alex here in Dalaguete, who had found me a more permanent place to stay. I had never met Alex in person, unlike Brock who i met in the UK before leaving. So i was putting some trust in to him, that he was genuine, which i can gladly report he is and is a good friend of mine now. Now what is life like for me here in Dalaguete, in the 7 months i have lived here, i found myself a beautiful girl who lived here all her life, she is wonderful. So i am no longer lonely. I do not have to get up at 5am 5 days a week. I am a lot less stressed out about things, and far more relaxed. I know most of the people around me who live here, and i am known by more people that i actually know myself. Of course they were suspicious of me at first, who is this westerner moving in, even my girl friend was like this at first. But over the months the people around me see that i am a good westerner who does not sleep around, sticks with one girl, always polite and courteous to everyone i meet. I have also put my girl friend in college to become a teacher in 4 years time. We hope to marry this coming year. Everyone i met has been polite to me, i have yet to come across someone who is not. I can walk up my street and asked how i am, something that would never happen in the UK. It reminds me of my childhood in the UK, when i lived in a village and everyone knows everyone and there is a real sense of a community. I live in the province and right on the coast so i have no pollution problems what so ever. I dont take an interest in the political system as there is nothing i can do about it, so why bother. And even though there is poverty here, everyone especially the children always have a smile on their face and seem happy with what they have. I see children run up and down the beach with an old tyre and stick trying to keep it up right for hours and they are all laughing and enjoying themsleves. Give that to a child in the UK and they would laugh in your face and then have a tantrum as they wanted the lastest computer gadget. Life is simpler here, even for me, which i intended to happen and for it i am a lot happier in my life. I have made some very good friends here both westerners and Filipinos. I feel at home and safe in my barangy and welcomed with open arms. So the contrast between being in the UK and being here in the Philippines is quite wide. Yes i gave up some comforts to be here, but that is well over shadowed by the life i have here now. I came here for 4 main reasons. The culture, the weather ( as it can get quite cold in the UK during winter ) and the cost of living and not least to find myself a girl who i can marry and have a family with. Yes there may be faults here, but i found the UK to have far more. I have nothing in the UK to back to, I have no family due to reason i will only tell people i actually meet, as it is personal. I have never been married or had children yet. I feel life is just starting for me again, and though i have only been here for 8 months so far, i still feel it is by far the best decision i have ever made, and one i do not regret one little bit. I live in a tropical climate, ( I am a sunaholic) i found a wonderful girl to be with, i have made many more genuine friends here, and can live comfortably with what i get from the army. I love the community spirit here aswell. Well thats my story and my comparision from where i came from and where i am today. I know not everyone will have the same view, but this is my experience, and feel a good one at that.
Way to go Matt! I like happy people who have found a piece of paradise for themselves! :)