Wireless Soundbar Recommendations

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm going to downsize my home theater equipment to a soundbar system, probably 5.1.  Possibly 3.1.2 with Atmos if somebody talks me into it.

Any experiences to share?  My budget is 20k or less.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I've had issues in the past getting wireless sound bars to work with TV's other than the brand of the soundbar, LG in particular used to use (not sure if they do or not) a proprietry bluetooth system that would only work with LG TVs (it did work fine with my LG TV although it was useless after I didn't have that TV anymore).

• Like 2

insite
Posted
Posted

Not a soundbar but this comes very highly recommended - https://www.theverge.com/23656561/sonos-era-100-speaker-review-features

I have two on the way here presently.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Will you be using this with a subwoofer?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, insite said:

Not a soundbar but this comes very highly recommended - https://www.theverge.com/23656561/sonos-era-100-speaker-review-features

I have two on the way here presently.

Intriguing but not what I'm looking for.

The review says the latest one is stereo but I see that they cut costs on the second speaker.

DSCF0459.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Will you be using this with a subwoofer?

Yes, and a wireless sub-woofer would be fantastic for my space!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, and a wireless sub-woofer would be fantastic for my space!

A wired sub would be much better. 

Run the TV signal to the sub's crossover for low bypass then to soundbar. In that way less load on the sound bar amp and speakers clearer sound. I can't suggest anything best you use your ears for what pleases you. Don't cheap out on the sub.

There are great sub kits but not so sure of shipping. It would cost little to have someone assemble it in Subic.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Old55 said:

A wired sub would be much better. 

Run the TV signal to the sub's crossover for low bypass then to soundbar. In that way less load on the sound bar amp and speakers clearer sound. I can't suggest anything best you use your ears for what pleases you. Don't cheap out on the sub.

There are great sub kits but not so sure of shipping. It would cost little to have someone assemble it in Subic.

Is it not the case that wired is always better than wireless quality-wise, all things being equal?  Kinda like wireless over LAN for a computer connection. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Is it not the case that wired is always better than wireless quality-wise, all things being equal?  Kinda like wireless over LAN for a computer connection. 

HK, you are correct.

But in the case of a simple home theater sound bar and sub a hard wire to sub low pass filter is an option. LOL, be warned my advise is kinda old school considering my gear is primarily vacuum tube!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Old55 said:

HK, you are correct.

But in the case of a simple home theater sound bar and sub a hard wire to sub low pass filter is an option. LOL, be warned my advise is kinda old school considering my gear is primarily vacuum tube!

Wireless obviously has one big advantage over wired; the convenience of not having wires all over the place - especially relevant when most floors are tiled so limited scope to hide wires under carpet.  The compromise of quality is worth it in many cases.