Wireless Soundbar Recommendations

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

A wired sub would be much better. 

Run the TV signal to the sub's crossover for low bypass then to soundbar. In that way less load on the sound bar amp and speakers clearer sound. I can't suggest anything best you use your ears for what pleases you. Don't cheap out on the sub.

There are great sub kits but not so sure of shipping. It would cost little to have someone assemble it in Subic.

Wireless subs are relatively new and I have no idea if they work well.  The reason it would be good for my new 5.1 layout is that I really don't have a great spot for it in the area around my new entertainment wall. 

Generally speaking, most of the 5.1 soundbar systems in my price range come with wired sub and I doubt they have wiring options.

I do want wireless rear speakers.  Wired rear speakers, been der dun dat.  Not this time.

• Like 1

Baluoyolo
Posted
Posted

Be very careful about wireless - depending on your setup it might work but I tried some cheapo one a couple years ago and with some devices the audio and video were out of sync. The wireless subwoofer had to be within 1.5 meters for it to work right. Nowadays I have a wired JBL Deep Bass 2.1 soundbar and I dare say I am pretty happy and will not be changing it any time soon. Went from 5.1 to 2.1 and it was an upgrade! The subwoofer is still wireless on this one but has no connectivity issues and plenty of range to cover to the other side of the room.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Baluoyolo said:

Be very careful about wireless - depending on your setup it might work but I tried some cheapo one a couple years ago and with some devices the audio and video were out of sync. The wireless subwoofer had to be within 1.5 meters for it to work right. Nowadays I have a wired JBL Deep Bass 2.1 soundbar and I dare say I am pretty happy and will not be changing it any time soon. Went from 5.1 to 2.1 and it was an upgrade! The subwoofer is still wireless on this one but has no connectivity issues and plenty of range to cover to the other side of the room.

I looked at the JBL 5.1 and it looks like a nice setup, with the rear speakers rechargeable and plugging in to the sound bar to recharge, but have no idea of the rear speaker performance.  However, those are not in my budget anyway.

In the U.S., I had a few 2.1 sounbars and they were very good.  Don't recall the names right now.  Do you mind sharing what the JBL 2.1 cost?

There is Sony 5.1 in my budget that seems like it might be good, but the rear speakers are not truly wireless.  They are wired to a receiver that is also placed in the rear, with a wire from the receiver to each rear speaker.  I'm guessing, but that probably provides good performance for the rear speakers.

https://www.sony.com.ph/electronics/sound-bars/ht-s40r

Maybe I should go with an Atmos system to save space and not worry about the rear?

Edited by OnMyWay

longway
Posted
Posted

Just to give my experience here. I have a PolkAudio sound bar and sub Woofer. I've had it for about 6 years and use it for 10+hours each week. For TV sound ( I can understand speech better thru the sound bar than the TV speakers.) and for Spotify / Pandora music It's outstanding! The sound bar is wired which was easy bcuz it sits just below the TV, the powered Sub W is wireless and it is about 15 feet away. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, longway said:

Just to give my experience here. I have a PolkAudio sound bar and sub Woofer. I've had it for about 6 years and use it for 10+hours each week. For TV sound ( I can understand speech better thru the sound bar than the TV speakers.) and for Spotify / Pandora music It's outstanding! The sound bar is wired which was easy bcuz it sits just below the TV, the powered Sub W is wireless and it is about 15 feet away. 

Did you buy it as a package?  Where did you buy it?

They have a few in my budget on the U.S. website.

longway
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Did you buy it as a package?  Where did you buy it?

They have a few in my budget on the U.S. website.

I bought it as a package, Model 6000 2.1, sorry but I don't remember where as it's been a long time ago. I don't think that model is even sold anymore.  I bought it on some kind of online sale. Last retail advertized price for this one was $500, it is more than adequate for my needs. I think buying a top rated brand even if not their most expensive is the way to go. At the time I bought it PolkAudio was considered a premium brand. And may still be, I don't know. An Audiologist recently suggested listening to regular TV through the Soundbar would improve the speech clarity for my older ears and it sure is better.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, longway said:

I bought it as a package, Model 6000 2.1, sorry but I don't remember where as it's been a long time ago. I don't think that model is even sold anymore.  I bought it on some kind of online sale. Last retail advertized price for this one was $500, it is more than adequate for my needs. I think buying a top rated brand even if not their most expensive is the way to go. At the time I bought it PolkAudio was considered a premium brand. And may still be, I don't know. An Audiologist recently suggested listening to regular TV through the Soundbar would improve the speech clarity for my older ears and it sure is better.

Thanks!  Polk has moved to the top of my list.  They have a Shopee store and and a Lazada store, and are opening a store in Manila.  I wish I could listen to them.

How far a way do you have your wireless subwoofer?

Speech is also important to me and they have some sort of speech enhancement technology.  With my 5.1 surround systems, now and before, speech sometimes gets totally drowned out by special effects sounds.

Signa S4 Atmos system is a bit over my budget, but fits the bill for a compact system.  I will start trying to sell my current home theatre and if I get enough for it, maybe I can get the S4.

=========================================

Product details of Polk Audio Signa S4 Dolby Atmos Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer Polk Signa S4, ATMOS soundbar
Polk Audio Signa S4 Dolby Atmos Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer
True Dolby Atmos Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer, eARC, and Bluetooth
The Signa S4 Dolby Atmos 3.1.2 soundbar with wireless subwoofer delivers powerful, crystal clear, cinematic 3D surround sound—at an unbeatable value. Features VoiceAdjust™, Bass Adjust, and Night, Music, and Movie modes for customizable sound. Set up with virtually any TV by simply connecting one cable. Enjoy Bluetooth music streaming and more.
Features:
Enjoy Movies, TV & Games in Stunning Dolby Atmos 3D Surround Sound
Seven Speaker Soundbar with Up-Firing Drivers for Fully Immersive Sound
Powerful Wireless Subwoofer for Deep, Effortless Bass
Low-profile design won’t block your TV or your remote and can also be wall-mounted
Five Decades of Engineering for the Perfect Home Theater Sound
Signa S4 was designed in Polk's Acoustic Research and Development center outside Baltimore, MD by the speaker experts at Polk. They have leveraged over 50 years of American hi-fi loudspeaker engineering so Signa S4 will deliver the surround sound experience you’ve always dreamed of in your home—but at a value, you could never imagine.
Dolby Atmos Certified 3.1.2 Sound Bar System
Enjoy the latest blockbuster releases, immersive music, and your favorite TV shows in the amazing 3D sound provided by Dolby Atmos* and the Signa S4. Its advanced seven-driver array and wireless subwoofer deliver a lifelike Atmos listening experience with a huge soundstage and effortless bass. With Signa S4, you’ll hear sounds flying overhead courtesy of up-firing speakers that support Atmos height channels, and any non-Atmos content you watch can also be enjoyed in a virtual Atmos experience. *Requires HDMI eARC connection.
Customizable Sound to Hear Every Word and More
Polk’s patented VoiceAdjust™ technology combines with Signa S4’s dedicated center channel for clear, easy-to-understand dialogue. Bass Adjust controls bass on both the soundbar and sub ensuring maximum impact. Plus, one-button presets for movie watching and music listening, along with Night Mode—so you won’t wake the neighbors or kids during late-night binge-watching sessions.
Sets Up in Seconds
One simple connection via the included HDMI or optical cable (or aux-in for older TVs) ensures the ultimate listening experience with virtually any TV—even the latest 8K Ultra-HD TVs. For added convenience, Signa S4 is pre-programmed to work with most TV remotes out of the box and it quickly pairs to your mobile device via Bluetooth to stream your favorite music.

longway
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

How far a way do you have your wireless subwoofer?

About 15 feet away from the soundbar. Mine has a seperate volume for the subW. I keep it relatively low out of respect for my neigbors. Bass travels heavy a long distance.

• Like 1