Think of retirement

Daniel Osborne
Posted
Posted

Hello and thank you for having me on the forum.

My wife is Philippine and has been here in the states for 25 or so years. We've been married for almost 20. We are planning to retire in the next 8 years or so and moving to her homeland. I'm just a bit nervous. How safe is it there? We will most likely be around Cagayan de Oro City but close to the beach. How are property taxes? Is it legal to carry a firearm? Can I own property without being a citizen? Lots of other questions but lets start with those.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Daniel.

Is it safe?  Most areas in the Philippines are quite safe.  The exception being areas in the south with majority Muslim population.

Property taxes?  I can't speak for the CDO are but here in Moalboal property taxes are VERY low compared to the USA.

Is it legal to carry firearms?  Non-Philippine citizens are not allowed to own or carry firearms.

Can I own property with being a citizen?  You can own a condo, you cannot own land.  If you wife is a dual citizen US/Philippine, she is allowed to own land.  The land would be considered to conjugal property under Philippine law.  If she is not a dual citizen (currently US only) she can still buy land but it is limited to 1000 square meters.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Daniel Osborne said:

Hello and thank you for having me on the forum.

My wife is Philippine and has been here in the states for 25 or so years. We've been married for almost 20. We are planning to retire in the next 8 years or so and moving to her homeland. I'm just a bit nervous. How safe is it there? We will most likely be around Cagayan de Oro City but close to the beach. How are property taxes? Is it legal to carry a firearm? Can I own property without being a citizen? Lots of other questions but lets start with those.

Good luck with your plans!

I will add I'm always amused at how much importance you Americans place on having a gun! :smile:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, graham59 said:

Definitely try a few extended holidays here before committing to migrating, and rent a property first, until you find your feet.

I echo this highly.

• Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I will add I'm always amused at how much importance you Americans place on having a gun! :smile:

No different than a rooster in every backyard....:shades:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

Good luck with your plans!

Agree with others spend time in Philippines first before making any serious plans.

I'm always amused at Europeans who wanna school Americans. :smile:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1