Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

I'm always amused at Europeans who wanna school Americans. :smile:

:hystery:

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

By the way....Welcome here Daniel.

There is a wealth of knowledge here that all are willing to share.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
On 4/25/2024 at 4:23 PM, Daniel Osborne said:

I'm just a bit nervous. How safe is it there?

Daniel,

Have you've been outside of the states before?

Well, if not I wanna let you know Johnny Cash made a song after me...."I've Been Everywhere" man.

I surely had anxiety or excitement the first time of all the places/counties/continents I've traveled to or lived in at the immigration in-processing points.

Research the area & the local customs of where you are going and defiantly follow the PI customs of your Filipina Asawa and you will be fine.

As far as safety, your much safer in the PI than you are in the "The Wild West".

I would be more nervous about The Heat & Humidity than anything else.

Again....Welcome. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Agree with others spend time in Philippines first before making any serious plans.

Nobody was schooling anyone, at least not I in my post. Simply commenting on the regularity at which American posters bring up the subject of guns in the Philippines as if it's an important criteria for living somewhere which is not America. It amuses me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

"Want to" :whistling:

• Haha 5

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

Nobody was schooling anyone, at least not I in my post. Simply commenting on the regularity at which American posters bring up the subject of guns in the Philippines as if it's an important criteria for living somewhere which is not America. It amuses me.

Again....:hystery:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, hk blues said:

important criteria for living somewhere which is not America.

This is way off topic HK, but I believe some explanation might be in order. 

There is a HUGE segment of the US population (usually in the west and southeast) where shooting weapons is as much of a hobby as playing golf, fishing or any other outdoor hobby. I grew up in California where I grew up surfing and stuff. My cousins grew up in South Dakota on the family ranch. They grew up shooting for fun, heck my girl cousins could knock down a running squirrel at 25 yards at age 14. Guns were just their way of life and passion. Today one still runs the farm with her family, another is a retired schoolteacher a third is a retired mining engineer while the fourth is working in Vietnam supervising a shrimp farm of all things. :89:. None are homicidal maniacs, chew Tabacco and talk funny like is usually shown on the news. It just that they shoot guns as a hobby (and are really good at it)

However most Yanks are fully aware that very few countries have such liberal gun ownership laws as the states. So I really dont find it all that strange for him to ask about carrying a firearm just as I wouldn't find it strange for a guy thinking about moving here asking about golf, cycling, recreational fishing or any hobby. Before I moved here I pestered the board members about racquetball courts (and I am still looking :hystery:). 

But it is normal to question behavior that is unfamiliar to us.....hell, most yank shake there head in wonder when there is a story about a deadly riot at a European football match (soccer to us colonials):thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

football match (soccer to us colonials)

Actually, we call it either. :smile:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

This is way off topic HK, but I believe some explanation might be in order. 

There is a HUGE segment of the US population (usually in the west and southeast) where shooting weapons is as much of a hobby as playing golf, fishing or any other outdoor hobby. I grew up in California where I grew up surfing and stuff. My cousins grew up in South Dakota on the family ranch. They grew up shooting for fun, heck my girl cousins could knock down a running squirrel at 25 yards at age 14. Guns were just their way of life and passion. Today one still runs the farm with her family, another is a retired schoolteacher a third is a retired mining engineer while the fourth is working in Vietnam supervising a shrimp farm of all things. :89:. None are homicidal maniacs, chew Tabacco and talk funny like is usually shown on the news. It just that they shoot guns as a hobby (and are really good at it)

However most Yanks are fully aware that very few countries have such liberal gun ownership laws as the states. So I really dont find it all that strange for him to ask about carrying a firearm just as I wouldn't find it strange for a guy thinking about moving here asking about golf, cycling, recreational fishing or any hobby. Before I moved here I pestered the board members about racquetball courts (and I am still looking :hystery:). 

But it is normal to question behavior that is unfamiliar to us.....hell, most yank shake there head in wonder when there is a story about a deadly riot at a European football match (soccer to us colonials):thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

I guess it's a bit like the tipping culture that some Americans (Including members of this fine forum) seem to want to export everywhere they go.

But, let's not open up that wound again!

• Like 3
  • Love it 1