Mediocrity Opinion by John Lesaca Manila Times

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Cola Cubes said:

They are also very choosy about when and if they will work.  

I can think of so many countries where this also a fact BUT many of those countries have a Social System that covers that and is severely abused, It is what it is here and unlikely to change :tiphat:

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

I'd of probably thought he sounded a dick before my wife had businesses here but he's not wrong lol. I wouldn't have an issue with them asking what the salary is but asking if there's overtime pay for a stay in driver job would be a red flag.

SM etc don't have 100s of employees standing around doing almost nothing for fun, it's because people want to do 1/4 of a job and they often just don't turn up for work. A lot of the hard workers have already left the country or atleast gone to Manila.
Life's obviously not easy here but there's plenty of minimum wage jobs about if people want them.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Cola Cubes said:

The reality here is that the poorest people are surprisingly choosy about what work they will accept.

They are also very choosy about when and if they will work

It’s only when they don’t have Red Horse or cigarettes, or when their bellies aren’t full of Jolibee chicken, is when they want to work. 🤣

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gator said:

It’s only when they don’t have Red Horse or cigarettes, or when their bellies aren’t full of Jolibee chicken, is when they want to work. 🤣

So maybe :89:they got it right, They work to live  whereas we tend to live to work ? Food for thought? :shades: 

• Like 2

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I can think of so many countries where this also a fact BUT many of those countries have a Social System that covers that and is severely abused, It is what it is here and unlikely to change :tiphat:

We used to have plenty of people asking for a "loan".  That stopped when we started offering them work.  All of the adults were too busy.  One sent their child to work.  I lost most of my sympathy for them being "poor".

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Lee1154 said:

One sent their child to work

that is a pandemic here

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 4/29/2024 at 7:19 PM, fillipino_wannabe said:

I'd of probably thought he sounded a dick before my wife had businesses here but he's not wrong lol. I wouldn't have an issue with them asking what the salary is but asking if there's overtime pay for a stay in driver job would be a red flag.

SM etc don't have 100s of employees standing around doing almost nothing for fun, it's because people want to do 1/4 of a job and they often just don't turn up for work. A lot of the hard workers have already left the country or atleast gone to Manila.
Life's obviously not easy here but there's plenty of minimum wage jobs about if people want them.

I suspect most of us agree with most of his observations.  The criticism is more about the condescending, elitist way he said it.  I think it could be rewritten to make the same points, but in different way that is not as condescending.  The fact that he does not see this tells me that he is oblivious to what goes on outside his upper class world.

• Like 5

Possum
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I suspect most of us agree with most of his observations.  The criticism is more about the condescending, elitist way he said it.  I think it could be rewritten to make the same points, but in different way that is not as condescending.  The fact that he does not see this tells me that he is oblivious to what goes on outside his upper class world.

He reminds me of some of the superior beings I have encountered in the USA at places like DC, the Hamptons, Palm Beach and other countries outside the USA. I've yet to live in a classless society. But I've always thought it unwise to flaunt ones imagined superiority when you're outnumbered by a large margin. We do seem to have a disproportionate number of people with the 'big fish, small pond' syndrome here though. I find them humorous most of the time

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

The fact that he does not see this tells me that he is oblivious to what goes on outside his upper class world

Therein lies the problem  (and/or he does not care)

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Agree 100 percent, but again, there is a reason for this.   It is a generational systematic system to keep people exactly where they are.  There are very very very few lower middle class/lower class that go through life believing they will every "move up";  they develop the ?????? it mentality.   Always thought this place is a sociologists wet dream

• Like 2