The E- visa bloody catastrophe, Again.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Big announcement that the European Union will be charging a fee starting in 2024 to enter any Schengen country.  Based on the number of current visitors, this would generate between $5 and $10 billion per year.  Then more press releases because member countries were disputing the amount and how to collect it.  Since we are leaving for Europe in a few weeks, I went online for an update.  Apparently, the scheme is delayed until 2025.  So, the bureaucratic inefficiency happens elsewhere, not just the Philippines.  

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Big announcement that the European Union will be charging a fee starting in 2024 to enter any Schengen country.  Based on the number of current visitors, this would generate between $5 and $10 billion per year.  Then more press releases because member countries were disputing the amount and how to collect it.  Since we are leaving for Europe in a few weeks, I went online for an update.  Apparently, the scheme is delayed until 2025.  So, the bureaucratic inefficiency happens elsewhere, not just the Philippines.  

Getting 29 countries to agree on how to split up money would be kind of like trying to herd cats.

• Haha 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2024 at 2:59 PM, Onemore52 said:

So the night before my flight back to the Philippines I did this mongrel of a thing for the fourth time an got a response that I would get a response within 7 days, not bad considering.

On the flight an announcement was made that people who hadn’t had the thing done could just see the people at the gate and they would be of assistance to get the mongrel of a thing done, yeah sure I thought.

So there was no one there to offer any assistance just a board with instructions what to do.

So I started to do this thing and immediately got the message that the email address I entered was in the wrong format, I immediately smelt a rat.

Having been on this merry go round not far the first time, I thought phuckm this for a joke and headed to the immigration desk, where the officer without any questions stamped my passport and wished me well.

I later learned that there was a malfunction with the system..

Don’t you just love it when a good plan comes together.

We are planning Thailand trip for next month, your making me nervous about this e pass thing as no idea what it is. Does my partner (Filipina) also need it? Sounds like a nightmare. Would you have a link for it, maybe easier to through a travel agent have them do it all.

graham59
Posted
Posted

I wonder if all the illegal immigrants will be asked to pay ? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, RBM said:

travel agent have them do it all.

Sometimes I really hate "progress" just for the sake of progress. At times I also believe these types of things (automated checkouts, self gas stations etc.)  are put in place so that 1. they dont have to deal with customers directly, 2. don't have to hire, train, deal with and pay employees 3. make the bottom line look better and 4. "hey look, aren't we the bomb! Look how cutting edge we are!" I remember the last time I went state side and they had the automated immigration kiosks, I stood there for 5 minutes trying to figure out what to do :89::571c66d400c8c_1(103):.

I guess I am just turning into an old curmudgeon. While I have no plans to travel in the near future, if I did I would be sorely tempted just to buy a ticket, show up, and when asked for this  E-travel crap just go :whatever: . "Don't know sir 

old man.jpg

• Like 4

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

Agreed @Gator I have been in an out 3 or 4 times this year & it's really been a simple process. An old friend of mine has nothing but trouble I don't get it?

It can only be a system error at that time me thinks.

The last 2 times on returning the official just asked have you done it Sir? Which I replied yes and will show you but they just no said its ok no need. To those having trouble. if its not a system error have you set up your account with all your details on it first? Good Luck

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It's the same thing most of our home countries have had in place for years for foreigners from no visa required or visa waiver reciprocal agreement countries. It's basically a digital entry card.  

Last time I arrived in the US I had to complete their version of it, same for Canada and in both cases that was in 2010.  My American GF at the time had to do the same for entry into Australia in 2009.

They've been around for a long time.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Yes as long as the system is functioning correctly.

• Like 1