Us Account ? > Xoom With Lower Fees

chimellie
Posted
Posted

I used to send money via PNB Remithome, but for some reason I stopped using it and I have been using Xoom.com for about 3 years now and love it. The service is super fast, within 5 minutes my wife's family can get the money .

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

A few years ago when we were on vacation in the U.S., I couldn't get pass Xoom's registration process either! They requested all sorts of documents to show proof of residence in the U.S. like a utility billing in my name, photo of my driver's license! I had none of those since we don't permanently live in the U.S. anymore or don't have any utility bills or driver's license in my name! Also, I was not allowed to send money to myself in the Philippines, money taken out from my U.S. bank account to my bank account in the Philippines due to the "Money Anti-laundering Act" of the Philippines, where the recipient has to be someone else other than yourself, but I've read stories on other forums saying that was what they were exactly doing, sending money to themselves! Go figure! Now I'm totally confused! So, I was never able to open an account with www.xoom.com ever since and xoom informed me that I will need to use a different U.S. account in re-registering with them since the previous account that I used has been blocked or was voided from being used again! So, go figure that, again!

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

You don't send it to yourself. You send it to your wife. Use a proxy when logging on to xoom so the see you as a US IP.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
You don't send it to yourself. You send it to your wife. Use a proxy when logging on to xoom so the see you as a US IP.
Well, some people have said that they send money to themselves! That won't work either if her name is on the account too! They ask for proof of utility billing statements and photo copy of your State driver's license with your U.S. home address on it! It's too late now to open another U.S. bank account, so a proxy server won't do me any good now! Anyway, I don't send money to anyone in the Philippines or to the U.S. anymore! The gravy train has stopped running and out of commission indefinitely ever since I retired! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Well, some people have said that they send money to themselves!
You are correct, of course. Every time someone uses an ATM they are sending money to themselves from wherever their bank account is held.But XOOM cut off my account long ago because they said I cannot send money to myself. Shortly after that they stopped dealing with Canadian bank accounts so I have had nothing to do with them for years now.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Well, some people have said that they send money to themselves!
You are correct, of course. Every time someone uses an ATM they are sending money to themselves from wherever their bank account is held.But XOOM cut off my account long ago because they said I cannot send money to myself. Shortly after that they stopped dealing with Canadian bank accounts so I have had nothing to do with them for years now.
Dave,You've just confirmed what I've been saying all along and I wasn't talking about money remittances which isn't the same as to bank to bank money transfers to oneself in just dollars! What about those on-line U.S. banks to overseas banks account transfers (not remittances) when both accounts are in one's name? I read somewhere Wells Fargo in the U.S. are now linked with BPI Bank here in the Philippines, but no one has posted anything here on the forum if on-line transfers from a U.S. Bank to their BPI bank in the RP can be done or how's it's done without a lot of terms and conditions! I've read on other forums that it can be, but was never explained how it was actually done! Maybe it was just a remittance type of a transaction and not the same as an account transfer! So, I'm just waiting for some one to confirm what I've read elsewhere! My bank has that feature, but it will only work if I'm physically in the U.S. and I have a U.S. cellphone tied in with my on-line and cellphone banking system and have a special random security code for verification! That doesn't do me any good if I'm in the Philippines and my U.S. cellphone is in the "roaming" mode, which defeats the purpose of trying to avoid the cost of the transfers if there are any! Just the roaming service alone will cost me! Not a very practical system, but I don't know how Wells Fargo system works pertaining to on-line U.S. bank to overseas bank transfers (not remittances)! So far I've found this Wells Fargo info site and still looking for more details: https://www.wellsfar.../transfers_faqs https://www.wellsfar...change/products https://www.wellsfar...nsfer_guide.pdf Edited by Art2ro