Locked Baggage

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Does anyone put locks on the suit cases when traveling to the Philippines,on my last trip I had about 3 locks on my suit case but when I picked it up from the Carousel in Cebu the locks were gone and the zippers were not closed properly.There was nothing missing and I had gift wrapped perfume in the bag which I thought would be gone but was not.Is there some law about locking our bags?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Does anyone put locks on the suit cases when traveling to the Philippines,on my last trip I had about 3 locks on my suit case but when I picked it up from the Carousel in Cebu the locks were gone and the zippers were not closed properly.There was nothing missing and I had gift wrapped perfume in the bag which I thought would be gone but was not.Is there some law about locking our bags?
The baggage screeners have the right to visually inspect any checked or unchecked luggage, and if locked, they will often remove the locks. In the US, you can buy TSA-approved locks that TSA employees have a universal key to open. Any other lock is subject to removal.

Steve
Posted
Posted
The baggage screeners have the right to visually inspect any checked or unchecked luggage, and if locked, they will often remove the locks. In the US, you can buy TSA-approved locks that TSA employees have a universal key to open. Any other lock is subject to removal.
Can the Philippine agents unlock the TSA approved locks as well? I thought about using them this time.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I always just leave our bags unlocked because the TSA have opened ours and inspected the contents and left notes in them at times. I do not know how it works in other countries but in this day and age of terrorism, my guess is that most countries might want the rights to inspect things that show up strange on the x-rays. One trip many years ago to Cebu and upon arrival the inspector asked me to open the one with a white chalk x on it and I of course did and then she told me that they has seen a lot of springs and wondered what they were and it was just a bag full of pens for our family and friends that we brought but that was before 9/11, so do not be fooled, they do x-ray luggage and would not open them back then but will nowadays.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I always just leave our bags unlocked because the TSA have opened ours and inspected the contents and left notes in them at times. I do not know how it works in other countries but in this day and age of terrorism, my guess is that most countries might want the rights to inspect things that show up strange on the x-rays. One trip many years ago to Cebu and upon arrival the inspector asked me to open the one with a white chalk x on it and I of course did and then she told me that they has seen a lot of springs and wondered what they were and it was just a bag full of pens for our family and friends that we brought but that was before 9/11, so do not be fooled, they do x-ray luggage and would not open them back then but will nowadays.
Its a catch 22 situation,we lock our bags to keep the contents safe and to also make sure no one adds something like a parcel of drugs without our knowledge but if it was found with drugs after the bag was unlocked or in my case the locks cut off then how do you prove someone else tampered with your bag.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Its a catch 22 situation,we lock our bags to keep the contents safe and to also make sure no one adds something like a parcel of drugs without our knowledge but if it was found with drugs after the bag was unlocked or in my case the locks cut off then how do you prove someone else tampered with your bag.
Good point but from my experience the baggage handlers who are expecting the drugs would have removed them before you got your bags back or they might never see them again, so once you pick up your bags then you would be safe unless someone wants to set you up and then they will no matter what, so always best to stay under the radar and not give anyone a reason to hate us. Now when traveling around within the Philippines, I usually lock our bags for that reason and to prevent possible theft because of the low wages within the Philippines and have never had a problem with someone breaking them open or removing the locks. The more locks, the more that someone might think you have something worth stealing.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

TSA did the same cut off the locks and left a note in my luggage routine. Now I use simple zip ties instead of a lock. The ties let me know if it has been tampered with.

softail
Posted
Posted

I just use the TSA locks and havn't had a problem. They want to check, they have a key. Not sure if I have been checked or not. Never had anything missing.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
TSA did the same cut off the locks and left a note in my luggage routine. Now I use simple zip ties instead of a lock. The ties let me know if it has been tampered with.
I also always use the TSA locks. I believe the baggage handlers and those inspecting bags are different personnel. I consider the locks are protection from the baggage handlers. The TSA locks allow authorized personnel globally to get in luggage. USA TSA agents will leave a flyer in your bags to let you know they inspected the luggage. I've not seen this done in other countries. In China / Shanghai on a flight to Manila, I was called into a room to open the locks while they inspected what the found in the bags that caused them a concern - (a battery for a power drill, which they made me hand cary).The only problem with TSA locks is sometimes they come up missing. On flights where you have to get luggage and recheck, it pays to have extra to relock.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I always use the TSA locks as well. Gold Heart's advice to bring an extra lock is a very good idea. I was travelling from the US to New Delhi and I had to recheck my bags after the domestic portion of the flight. When I picked up my bags, the locks weren't there so I checked them unlocked. When I got to Delhi, the contents of my suitcase had been stolen and replaced with garbage. They put actual garbage in them....there was food debris, tissues, and normal stuff you see in trash. That flight was through Hong Kong shortly after the handover to China.My company reimbursed me for everything, but I'm a bit larger than your average Indian so finding clothes that fit me was a challenge. I had to wear kurtas in the short term until I found other clothes. Given my white skin, long hair, and beard my friends took to calling me 'The Pink Serd' (serds are the Sikhs with long beards and turbans) when I was wearing traditional garb. So I got a new wardrobe and a nickname my Indian friends still use.....so it wasn't a total loss.Ever since then, I always take a couple TSA locks in my carry on bag just in case I need them.