Dog Meat Menu

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I wonder if we ate some of this some where before??Philippine police seize dog meat Police have seized 79 slaughtered dogs apparently being delivered to restaurants in the Philippines. Policeman Renato Niturada says the 400kg of dog meat in 10 sacks were confiscated on Sunday from a van at a checkpoint in northern Pangasinan province. Niturada said on Tuesday the van driver was charged with violating animal welfare law. Killing dogs for meat is illegal in the Philippines. He faces up to two years in jail or a fine of up to 5000 pesos ($A119). Dog meat remains a delicacy in the northern Philippines, where back-street restaurants serve it despite protests from animal rights advocates. Niturada said the dog carcasses were buried at a public cemetery.:welcome:

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Filipinos get a bad rap for eating dogs. As long as its advertised as dog meat so people know what they're eating, what's the big deal? The Hindus don't get their panties in a twist because Americans eat cows, why should people care that Filipinos eat dog? The law banning it sounds like one of those PC laws to appease activists or to help the Philippines improve their image. There is a plentiful supply of dogs in the Philippines, so bon appetit I say.

manabouttown
Posted
Posted
Filipinos get a bad rap for eating dogs. As long as its advertised as dog meat so people know what they're eating, what's the big deal? The Hindus don't get their panties in a twist because Americans eat cows, why should people care that Filipinos eat dog? The law banning it sounds like one of those PC laws to appease activists or to help the Philippines improve their image. There is a plentiful supply of dogs in the Philippines, so bon appetit I say.
hi all i think eating dog is not a good thing only because we were brought up with the idea that dog is mans best friend, but if you tell that to those who had their face ripped off then i expect they wont agree.Now i know theres not much meat on a cat but if i had to choose in a restaurant then it would be cat,perhaps with a dipping sauce. :welcome:

johnb
Posted
Posted

As I understand things unless the dog has been bred for food you risk any number of diseases, by eating what most probably was a slaughtered stray or worse a dead diseased dog,you run the risk of picking up a disease even after lengthy cooking, rabies is alive and well in this country these stray dogs only get by, by scavenging, if they find a dead rat they'll eat it, that rat could have digested rat poison amongst many other vile products, a lot of these strays survive from eating garbage and road kill, they have a short life and generally meet there demise from one of the many diseases picked up from the streets or there food source.........if you want them as part of your food Chain, order fido tonight

TheMason
Posted
Posted
As I understand things unless the dog has been bred for food you risk any number of diseases, by eating what most probably was a slaughtered stray or worse a dead diseased dog,you run the risk of picking up a disease even after lengthy cooking, rabies is alive and well in this country these stray dogs only get by, by scavenging, if they find a dead rat they'll eat it, that rat could have digested rat poison amongst many other vile products, a lot of these strays survive from eating garbage and road kill, they have a short life and generally meet there demise from one of the many diseases picked up from the streets or there food source.........if you want them as part of your food Chain, order fido tonight
You make an excellent point. I had only considered this from the cultural perspective and overlooked the food safety angle.

Guest OceanBreeze
Posted
Posted

Maybe sizzling Kabayo (horse meat) as legal alternative ? Seen at Capitol Rest / Libertadhoresea01d06b2y.jpg

Travis
Posted
Posted
excellent post. most dogs here eat all the things they say in the US will kill them such as chicken bones & anything they can to get to survive so I often wonder why they do not turn on humans to eat or do they?

Fell2Hell
Posted
Posted

my moms side of the family eats cats and dogs, and their way of killing is very barbaric at times....for them collies tend to be the favorite breed as long its not too big or too small.

retired
Posted
Posted

Have never tried dog meat but my wife thinks i am joking when i tell her i have smelled and tasted dog food that was better than some of the canned meat products she has brought home . The canned sausage and the corn beef comes to mind . SugarwareZ-047.gif

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

sorry to all, as this post is off topic but loosely linked in the area of strange food source, I spent some years as a British development worker, living in the poorest rural areas of Papua New Guinea, as well as other developing countries, dog has always been part of the menu for the people of PNG, these days more so in the Highlands than the low lands or coastal regions however in the past [and possibly to this day] some areas still enjoy the taste of human flesh, I have it on good authority that the tastiest part of the human body is the palms of the victims hands: 7_4_17[1].gif

Edited by johnb