Medical Health Ins In The Rp Or From Elsewhere?

UZI
Posted
Posted (edited)
Really sad how some medical insurance companies here in the Philippines discriminate against people with previous medical health conditions and are exempted from coverage until after a year waiting period and there's no guarantee that they will after the year waiting period! But even it is approved after one year, they will eventually increase your premiums after wards! Where's the reason or justice in that? A word to the wise, read the reimbursement policy before purchasing ins coverage in the Philippines if you have other forms of health coverage elsewhere!
After nearly 3 weeks of information exchanges with Blue Cross which I provided certified proof of continuous and current coverage from my current insurer Cigna I also provided them the results of all my recent physical exams including those recently obtained to get my SRRV visa. They included Xrays, full blood work, EGK, Urine, all vitals, etc. They then wanted to see my claims history. The Medical insurers in the US do not provide this kind of information to others -- part of HIPPA regulations and thought it was extremely odd that another insurer would be asking for this information. In the interest of getting insured here within my one month goal - end of February, I went to the Cigna web site and generated and provided a report of claims in the last two years (all that Cigna makes available). The report does not give the detail of any procedure but the cost of the claim and the specific general area. They then questioned certain claims ALL of which I explained were me taking preventive and required medical tests to obtain my visa (e.g. xrays, EGK, etc.). Not due to any illness. The largest expense was for a dreaded Colonoscopy that I wanted to complete before coming here. After providing that, they then asked me yesterday to get a stress test and an 2D echo test before they would approve my policy. All this at my expense. Fortunately I have a good doctor friend here that was able to prescribe the tests and I had them done today. This is far more than I ever expected. These tests are normally prescribed because of some problem and the folks in the lab seem to be bewildered that I did not have some condition driving me to take them.This validates the comments that Art has made. I have yet to see where this is going and whether the saga will continue. Interested to see if other members have had this experience with Blue Cross. I will have to read my policy carefully. I will keep you posted on where this goes. I envy the Canadians.
Art, Truly hit the nail on the head. With a diagnosis of borderline blood pressure under control -- taking the lowest form of diuretic, Blue Cross has informed me that they want to charge me a 20% additional premium on their rates to cover this " pre-existing condition". I find this outrageous. They may leave me no option but I have to explore other alternatives. I may just choose a lower plan options and cover the outpatient things myself. This is important so that my family does not get our resources drained or saddled with debt in the event of a major issue. I've seen lives destroyed and families driven to bankruptcy and poverty trying to cover things with their own resources. Does anyone know of other insurance providers and other options?
Gold Heart,You could try these to see if they are better for your needs:GLOBE INSUREINSULAR LIFE HEALTHCAREOr internationals like:HEALTHCARE INTERNATIONALBUPAHope you let us know if they help. Personally, as I have too many pre-existing conditions, so health insurance is a non starter.UZI Edited by UZI

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Didn't you also mentioned that once you got medical health insurance like Blue Cross, that you plan to cancel or terminate your U.S. Cigna Insurance? Doesn't Cigna cover you while you're in the Philippines where you can file reimbursment charges if you get hospitalized in the Philippines? Because if you decided to keep your Cigna insurance while having Blue Cross here in the Philippines, Blue Cross will still have you use your Cigna first for reimbursement payments before they will pay the difference on any medical cost acquired here in the Philippines. Blue Cross will say that, Cigna is what they will refer to as the "other insurance coverage" that has priority over any claims that you may have in the future if you retain Cigna as your other insurance coverage. Blue Cross has good insurance policies depending which coverage you chose, but the premium costs may be a little expensive as you reach the age of 65 and over! Blue Cross's insurance coverage at the age of 65 and over is the same cost or more of that in the U.S.! That's why most foreigners decline to purchase health care insurance in the Philippines and would just keep what they have in their home country to use for emergencies or use their nest egg to cover their medical cost. But when their financial resources have been depleted here in the Philippines, they are forced to return to their home country for free health care for the aged! Sometimes it's a real difficult choice to make if one is going to live in the Philippines for good because of this medical factor alone! That's what all of the poor people in the Philippines have to contend with! They just have to suffer and live with their ailments and just wait to die a slow death! It's sad , but it's true!
Yes. I intend to cancel the US Policy. I'm currently covered by Cigna under a company subsidized COBRA plan. When the subsidy ends this month, the costs rise to more than double the Blue Cross policy even with the 20% adder they just hit me with. I also have access to a retiree plan from another company and the cost of Blue Cross as over 50% less. If I look at the cost of Blue Royale Premire plans for 66 and above they are still less than the current plans in the US both the Cobra and company retiree plans. So local Blue Cross is a MUCH MUCH better deal than US Insurance plans. The plans are equal to the current US plans when I reach the age of 80. Of course US premium costs are increasing at a ridulous pace. I do not intend to keep both plans and will ensure this is clear so that they will be responsible for any and all claims. If I can prove continuouls coverage, I can always go back to the company sponsored retiree plans.I think those who are referring to costs here with Blue Cross vs. cost in the US and those who are forced to return home are comparing it to Medicare at age 65. The hospitalization part of medicare is "currently" free while the outpatient costs are minimal. You can't beat free with any other commercial plan. ( most have been paying into medicare for the working life so it is not literally free).

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Really sad how some medical insurance companies here in the Philippines discriminate against people with previous medical health conditions and are exempted from coverage until after a year waiting period and there's no guarantee that they will after the year waiting period! But even it is approved after one year, they will eventually increase your premiums after wards! Where's the reason or justice in that? A word to the wise, read the reimbursement policy before purchasing ins coverage in the Philippines if you have other forms of health coverage elsewhere!
After nearly 3 weeks of information exchanges with Blue Cross which I provided certified proof of continuous and current coverage from my current insurer Cigna I also provided them the results of all my recent physical exams including those recently obtained to get my SRRV visa. They included Xrays, full blood work, EGK, Urine, all vitals, etc. They then wanted to see my claims history. The Medical insurers in the US do not provide this kind of information to others -- part of HIPPA regulations and thought it was extremely odd that another insurer would be asking for this information. In the interest of getting insured here within my one month goal - end of February, I went to the Cigna web site and generated and provided a report of claims in the last two years (all that Cigna makes available). The report does not give the detail of any procedure but the cost of the claim and the specific general area. They then questioned certain claims ALL of which I explained were me taking preventive and required medical tests to obtain my visa (e.g. xrays, EGK, etc.). Not due to any illness. The largest expense was for a dreaded Colonoscopy that I wanted to complete before coming here. After providing that, they then asked me yesterday to get a stress test and an 2D echo test before they would approve my policy. All this at my expense. Fortunately I have a good doctor friend here that was able to prescribe the tests and I had them done today. This is far more than I ever expected. These tests are normally prescribed because of some problem and the folks in the lab seem to be bewildered that I did not have some condition driving me to take them.This validates the comments that Art has made. I have yet to see where this is going and whether the saga will continue. Interested to see if other members have had this experience with Blue Cross. I will have to read my policy carefully. I will keep you posted on where this goes. I envy the Canadians.
Art, Truly hit the nail on the head. With a diagnosis of borderline blood pressure under control -- taking the lowest form of diuretic, Blue Cross has informed me that they want to charge me a 20% additional premium on their rates to cover this " pre-existing condition". I find this outrageous. They may leave me no option but I have to explore other alternatives. I may just choose a lower plan options and cover the outpatient things myself. This is important so that my family does not get our resources drained or saddled with debt in the event of a major issue. I've seen lives destroyed and families driven to bankruptcy and poverty trying to cover things with their own resources. Does anyone know of other insurance providers and other options?
Gold Heart,You could try these to see if they are better for your needs:GLOBE INSUREINSULAR LIFE HEALTHCAREOr internationals like:HEALTHCARE INTERNATIONALBUPAHope you let us know if they help. Personally, as I have too many pre-existing conditions, so health insurance is a non starter.UZI
UZIThanks ... this is helpful. I've already started to investigate some of these options. I wish there was a clear path and that you were not held hostage. Blue Cross may be the best option for me. I'm just pissed that they forced a 20% payment addition to deal with their risk. Dreaded pre-existing conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Didn't you also mentioned that once you got medical health insurance like Blue Cross, that you plan to cancel or terminate your U.S. Cigna Insurance? Doesn't Cigna cover you while you're in the Philippines where you can file reimbursment charges if you get hospitalized in the Philippines? Because if you decided to keep your Cigna insurance while having Blue Cross here in the Philippines, Blue Cross will still have you use your Cigna first for reimbursement payments before they will pay the difference on any medical cost acquired here in the Philippines. Blue Cross will say that, Cigna is what they will refer to as the "other insurance coverage" that has priority over any claims that you may have in the future if you retain Cigna as your other insurance coverage. Blue Cross has good insurance policies depending which coverage you chose, but the premium costs may be a little expensive as you reach the age of 65 and over! Blue Cross's insurance coverage at the age of 65 and over is the same cost or more of that in the U.S.! That's why most foreigners decline to purchase health care insurance in the Philippines and would just keep what they have in their home country to use for emergencies or use their nest egg to cover their medical cost. But when their financial resources have been depleted here in the Philippines, they are forced to return to their home country for free health care for the aged! Sometimes it's a real difficult choice to make if one is going to live in the Philippines for good because of this medical factor alone! That's what all of the poor people in the Philippines have to contend with! They just have to suffer and live with their ailments and just wait to die a slow death! It's sad , but it's true!
Yes. I intend to cancel the US Policy. I'm currently covered by Cigna under a company subsidized COBRA plan. When the subsidy ends this month, the costs rise to more than double the Blue Cross policy even with the 20% adder they just hit me with. I also have access to a retiree plan from another company and the cost of Blue Cross as over 50% less. If I look at the cost of Blue Royale Premire plans for 66 and above they are still less than the current plans in the US both the Cobra and company retiree plans. So local Blue Cross is a MUCH MUCH better deal than US Insurance plans. The plans are equal to the current US plans when I reach the age of 80. Of course US premium costs are increasing at a ridulous pace. I do not intend to keep both plans and will ensure this is clear so that they will be responsible for any and all claims. If I can prove continuouls coverage, I can always go back to the company sponsored retiree plans.I think those who are referring to costs here with Blue Cross vs. cost in the US and those who are forced to return home are comparing it to Medicare at age 65. The hospitalization part of medicare is "currently" free while the outpatient costs are minimal. You can't beat free with any other commercial plan. ( most have been paying into medicare for the working life so it is not literally free).
If I were to purchase a medical health plan in the Philippines, Blue Cross would be my first choice, because of locality of their main office and reputable hospitals they are affiliated with. As you mentioned, their most expensive health plan for seniors is no more than that of in the U.S.. Some of the other international health plans being offered are just "go between middlemen" doing business in the Philippines after their commissions via world wide call centers! I don't like doing business via call centers if it can be avoided! I currently received my U.S. military TRICARE health care plan which has no premiums to pay while in the Philippines and when I reach 65, I will also be able to use my U.S. Medicare benefits in conjunction with my TRICARE! I believe Cigna now has Medicare available in Manila, I read this on another forum. But you said that you plan to cancel your Cigna so it no longer will apply to you. Well, good luck with Blue Cross! Edited by Art & Jho

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted (edited)
If I were to purchase a medical health plan in the Philippines, Blue Cross would be my first choice, because of locality of their main office and reputable hospitals they are affiliated with. As you mentioned, their most expensive health plan for seniors is no more than that of in the U.S.. Some of the other international health plans being offered are just "go between middlemen" doing business in the Philippines after their commissions via world wide call centers! I don't like doing business via call centers if it can be avoided! I currently received my U.S. military TRICARE health care plan which has no premiums to pay while in the Philippines and when I reach 65, I will also be able to use my U.S. Medicare benefits in conjunction with my TRICARE! I believe Cigna now has Medicare available in Manila, I read this on another forum. But you said that you plan to cancel your Cigna so it no longer will apply to you. Well, good luck with Blue Cross!
I've resolved myself to Blue Cross. I was just a bit stewed that they make me pay a 20% additional premium for pre-existing borderline blood pressure. Even with that it is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of US premiums.As a result of the stimulous package, I get extend my Cobra coverage longer with assistance so my deadline is extended. I will sign-up for April now.I did check with other providers including Cigna and Blue Cross appears to have the best rates -- by far. I don't know about Tricare global coverage. I checked on Medicare even though I have several years to go before 65. Medicare only covers you in the US which was the essense of the issue previously stated. Its hard to move from full hospitalization with no premium to potentially high premium costs. A US commericial plan would provide limited coverage (hospitalization) based on reimbursement while here. Medicare offers nothing while here. You of course could travel back to the US for major medical issues. Don't know if your Medicare is different?Thanks Edited by Gold Heart

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

The good thing about the Military "TRICARE for Life Program" overseas for ages 65 and over, is that Medicare claims can also be reimbursed in conjunction with using TRICARE here in the Philippines! So I have no need to return to the U.S. for medical treatments or just to use my Medicare benefits. I'm not yet 65 but getting close to it! There are a lot of certified TRICARE health providers in the Philippines and we have a few just across the street from where we live which really makes it convenient for me and my wife! Also other major hospitals like Fort Med Clinic, Southern Luzon Hospital, Asian Hospital, Makati Med, St. Luke Hospital and Chinese General Hospital, all have TRICARE certified health care providers and a few in Sta. Rosa, Binan and Calamba, Laguna! And our reimbursement claims can now be submitted by way of FAX instead of mailing it in. Things are ever so surely getting better for retired military families in the Philippines!And just in case we didn't like TRICARE, we can always go back to using Kaiser or any other health care plans in the U.S., but we'll end up paying costly monthly premiums all over again! :36_6_3[1]: What's President Obama up to anyway with the Medical Reform Act?

Edited by Art & Jho

Mik
Posted
Posted

I opted out of my Federal Retirees health insurance when I moved here. So, I have had no medical insurance for over four years. For emergency purposes only, I keep a high limit credit card (with zero balance). I just pay as I go for any needed health care. Platoon (1986) Sgt. O'Neill: "Bob, I got a bad feeling on this one, all right? I mean I got a bad feeling! I don't think I'm gonna make it outta here! D'ya understand what I'm sayin' to you?"Sgt. Barnes: "Everybody gotta die some time, Red.".

• 1 month later...
Gold Heart
Posted
Posted (edited)
Gold Heart,You could try these to see if they are better for your needs:GLOBE INSUREINSULAR LIFE HEALTHCAREOr internationals like:HEALTHCARE INTERNATIONALBUPAHope you let us know if they help. Personally, as I have too many pre-existing conditions, so health insurance is a non starter.UZI
I was able to locate a consolidator who provided a summary analysis for a variety of insurance providers. This does not include Blue Cross that I have decided to go with as the best options based on my circumstances.I hope some may find this helpful as you explore options.

Medical Overview - Insurance Plans.pdf

Edited by Gold Heart

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
I opted out of my Federal Retirees health insurance when I moved here. So, I have had no medical insurance for over four years. For emergency purposes only, I keep a high limit credit card (with zero balance). I just pay as I go for any needed health care. Platoon (1986) Sgt. O'Neill: "Bob, I got a bad feeling on this one, all right? I mean I got a bad feeling! I don't think I'm gonna make it outta here! D'ya understand what I'm sayin' to you?"Sgt. Barnes: "Everybody gotta die some time, Red.".
The only thing you have to worry about is an expensive catastrophic event. This is the major cause of bankruptcy in the US and could have the same consequences here. Of couse you could decide to forgo heart surgery or a major organ transplant and just pray for a miracle or decide your time has come.I saw a personal story here that an expats entire wealth was consumed for heart surgery which he went back to the US to have done. Under 65 with no health insurance, the costs had to come out of his personal savings. He unfortunatley passed away a year later now leaving his family with nothing. If you are very very wealthy this is also not a concern.The cost of standard care is not a concern and is generally very inexpensive.

• 2 months later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Just a few more tid bit of information to inform our fellow expats living in the Philippines concerned about medical health insurance. Below are just a few Health Care Insurance providers in the Philippines that may be of interest to you that has not been mentioned amongst the other threads here on this topic. Just click on the links below. http://www.globalhea...dical-insurancehttp://www.kainoshealth.net/https://915230920240...&attredirects=1https://915230920240...&attredirects=1