Medical Health Ins In The Rp Or From Elsewhere?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I opted out of my Federal Retirees health insurance when I moved here. So, I have had no medical insurance for over four years. For emergency purposes only, I keep a high limit credit card (with zero balance). I just pay as I go for any needed health care. Morey
Morey or is it Mik now?I just noticed your thread about you opting out of your Federal Retiree Health Insurance Plan. Did you actually have the plan while working prior to your retirement? In my case, I kept mine until we received our medical benefits from my military service from the U.S.A.F. Reserves. I just suspended my Federal Health Insurance policy, because canceling or terminating our policy would prevent us from reinstating our Federal Health Insurance in the event we decided to go back to retain our previous original health care coverage in the future. At the present time, my wife and I are using our "TRICARE Standard" oversea military health care system in the Philippines which has no monthly premiums to pay, except for our 25% cost share of our total medical bills and our $300 annual co-payment. Anything over $3,000 within the year is 100% reimbursable and there are no pre-exsisting illness medical clauses like there are with Philippine local health insurance plans, where one has to to wait one year before they cover the pre-exsisting illness, which isn't guaranteed and if it is accepted, your premiums may be increased by 20%! Anyways, as long as you have a high limit credit card, and can afford to pay your medical bills, then you're OK. Hope to hear from you again and find out how you are doing! I'm just concerned because I haven't seen any other posts you have made recently concerning this topic. Take care!

Mik
Posted
Posted

I'm not a fan of the modern medical monopoly. Going to one of their hospitals or doctors very often leaves a person worse off if not dead. I don't call it health insurance because it has nothing at all to do with health. Eating poisons and letting them cut you is not health. It's more like assault and robbery.Anyway, I did have government insurance while working. When I retired I told personnel (call it human resources but it sounds like we're just numbered parts in the company inventory) to stop my gov't insurance. It was going to cost me about $300 a month. What a scam. They said that once stopped it can't be resumed later. That's fine by me. I don't have any medical bills or prescription drug bills. I've been retired for 6 years and am quite healthy. The simple secret is to be moderate in habits, get some exercise, have a diet like your great-parents (lots of meat and fat and eggs, low carb) and as much as possible avoid doctors and their advice. .

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mik,Good to know that you're still around and kicking! Yeah, I know what you mean about doctors! Luckily we don't have a lot of ailments! We just do the occasional physical exams once every 3 yrs or so, but since I'm diabetic, I require lab tests every 6 months to see how my meds are working! You see, I've only had diabetes just the past 2 yrs, but I'm certain I had it for at least 7 yrs, because these quack doctors couldn't put their fingers on it why I had certain high levels of everything from my lab test results and all of a sudden, Wala! I had out of control diabetes and had to be treated right away! Now, my diabetes is under control and I feel fine now for the past year and doing well with my meds. Other than that, I'm good to go and am able to enjoy my retirement for many years to come! And luckily, I too got rid of my Federal Health Plan by just suspending it and that $500 a month premium went back into my pocket as extra cash each and every month! So now, that $500 a month extra cash just goes into our nest egg in the bank for rainy days! Good to hear from you and doing well! Just stick to them meats, fats, eggs and low carbs and you'll do AOK! Take care!

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm