Sleeping On Airplanes And Recovering From Jet Lag

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

I've never really been able to sleep on an airplane, I'm not sure if its the excitement to get where or I'm going or if its just that I can't get comfortable. So, I'm just wondering if anybody has any good tips to help me sleep on planes. I'll be flying back to Cebu in a few weeks and would like to be rested when I land instead of being in zombie mode. I've thought about taking along some tylenol pm to see if they'll just knock me out, or perhaps a few drinks to do the same. As far as the jet lag goes, I just try to stay up the remainder of the day when I get there and watch the sun go down before I go to bed. This normally works pretty well and I adjust within a day or too. Anybody got any better tips?thanks

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I've never really been able to sleep on an airplane, I'm not sure if its the excitement to get where or I'm going or if its just that I can't get comfortable. So, I'm just wondering if anybody has any good tips to help me sleep on planes. I'll be flying back to Cebu in a few weeks and would like to be rested when I land instead of being in zombie mode. I've thought about taking along some tylenol pm to see if they'll just knock me out, or perhaps a few drinks to do the same. As far as the jet lag goes, I just try to stay up the remainder of the day when I get there and watch the sun go down before I go to bed. This normally works pretty well and I adjust within a day or too. Anybody got any better tips?thanks
I take Benedryl, an allergy medicine which is over the counter in the US and you can take up to two over the counter pills at a time. It would be best to buy or borrow some and try it at home first as it has different effects on different people, for example it keeps my wife up and makes me sleep like a baby when I take two or one and one Tylenol.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I always take 2 Ambien for my flight. I take them right after the first meal is served and usually wake up when they start moving around the cabin to serve the second meal shortly before arrival. The flight I usually take lands at about 6am, so sleeping all the way over on the plane leaves me wide awake and ready to go at 6 am. Its a win-win, the flight goes by quickly and jetlag is never an issue for me.If you go to the doctor regularly, ask him for a mild sedative to help you sleep. Most docs don't have an issue prescribing sleep aids. I never drink when I fly. I get very dehydrated on planes anyway and the alcohol just makes that worse.

UZI
Posted
Posted
I always take 2 Ambien for my flight. I take them right after the first meal is served and usually wake up when they start moving around the cabin to serve the second meal shortly before arrival. The flight I usually take lands at about 6am, so sleeping all the way over on the plane leaves me wide awake and ready to go at 6 am. Its a win-win, the flight goes by quickly and jetlag is never an issue for me.If you go to the doctor regularly, ask him for a mild sedative to help you sleep. Most docs don't have an issue prescribing sleep aids. I never drink when I fly. I get very dehydrated on planes anyway and the alcohol just makes that worse.
While I was still working, my job took me on many long haul flights. The trick I found that worked with jet lag, was to set my watch to the destination time as soon as I got on the plane. That way, when you arrive, your brain is already switched to 'local time' & I slept at night quicker :thumbs-up-smile:. Don't 'think' in your home country time.Taz

Mik
Posted
Posted

Use earplugs. Don't eat too much..

Steve
Posted
Posted

For me, what I do is typically stay up at least 24 hours before my flight departs. That way, I know I'll sleep in the flight, especially when it's 12 hours long. This way when I land, I can be on the proper sleeping schedule also.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tips. thumbs-up-smile.gif I think I'll try a combination of staying up as late as I can the night before my flight and take some benedryl once I get on the plane. Hopefully that'll knock me out and I'll sleep to till I get there. Be nice to be rested and refreshed when I land.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the tips. thumbs-up-smile.gif I think I'll try a combination of staying up as late as I can the night before my flight and take some benedryl once I get on the plane. Hopefully that'll knock me out and I'll sleep to till I get there. Be nice to be rested and refreshed when I land.
Making 8 trips back and forth from the US last year in some cases having to hit the ground running, it is a challenge. The trick is not to sleep on the plane per se but to quickly start sleeping when you are supposed to be sleeping and staying awake when you are supposed to be awake at your destination. This can be done by staying awake for a long period or through chemistry. Setting your watch to your destination helps you orient mentally as well. Good luck!

Steve
Posted
Posted
Instead of Benadryl, try taking melatonin which you can buy as a supplement in any drug store pharmacy. Melatonin is a hormone made by a small gland in the brain and helps control your sleep and wake cycles.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My flights are not as long as some of you guys but I don't think I would be taking sleeping pills,its the "what ifs".What if the plane is ditching the the ocean but you cant wake up to brace, brace, brace.What if the plane lands and erupts in a fireball and you are too sleepy to toast your marshmallows.What if you arrive at your destination after a long sleep only to find as you exit the airport instead of the usual taxi touts,only camels and pyramids in the distance.Might be better to stay awake.:crack-up: