Sleeping On Airplanes And Recovering From Jet Lag

TheMason
Posted
Posted
My flights are not as long as some of you guys but I don't think I would be taking sleeping pills,its the "what ifs".What if the plane is ditching the the ocean but you cant wake up to brace, brace, brace.What if the plane lands and erupts in a fireball and you are too sleepy to toast your marshmallows.What if you arrive at your destination after a long sleep only to find as you exit the airport instead of the usual taxi touts,only camels and pyramids in the distance.Might be better to stay awake.:crack-up:
If the plane ditches into the ocean, I'd rather die sleeping. Of course, with the rampant rudeness in the world today, the other passengers would probably have no consideration for my needs and wake me up with their screams of terror. Inconsiderate bastards.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the tips. thumbs-up-smile.gif I think I'll try a combination of staying up as late as I can the night before my flight and take some benedryl once I get on the plane. Hopefully that'll knock me out and I'll sleep to till I get there. Be nice to be rested and refreshed when I land.
Instead of Benadryl, try taking melatonin which you can buy as a supplement in any drug store pharmacy. Melatonin is a hormone made by a small gland in the brain and helps control your sleep and wake cycles.
I have tried Melatonin and it did not work for me, so whatever a person wishes to try, I recommend that they try it ahead of time as well because we are all different and what works for one may not work for another.And as far as Boss Man's comment, I, and I would guess others would wake up pretty fast if the plane was going to ditch and our flights are almost 15 hours, and they do not allow me to play with my wife on flights, SugarwareZ-007.gif so I get bored with a trip that long. :crack-up:

Jerry
Posted
Posted

I have no problem sleeping on planes but when I,m with the wife she keeps wakeing me up by saying things like, Hush up that snoreing the others cant sleep,

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have no problem sleeping on planes but when I,m with the wife she keeps wakeing me up by saying things like, Hush up that snoreing the others cant sleep,
I have a snoring problem too, I think many people do but often do not know it unless their partner tells them. I spray my nose with Afrin (which is over the counter in the US) just before going to sleep on a plane and it stops the snoring, not sure why but it just does by opening my nose all the way. Please note that it cannot be used all the time or it gives rebound and the time it works becomes less and less but I have found that it can be used at least once a week without a problem for me. Always ask your doctor first and do a drug interaction checker to make sure it will not interfere with medicines you now take. In fact it is always good to do that anyway with all medicines you take, I do, and I have found that some medicines the doctors gave me had to be taken at different times of the day or they messed up the actions of the others or made them stronger which is also not a good thing.Drug interaction checker click here

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
My flights are not as long as some of you guys but I don't think I would be taking sleeping pills,its the "what ifs".What if the plane is ditching the the ocean but you cant wake up to brace, brace, brace.What if the plane lands and erupts in a fireball and you are too sleepy to toast your marshmallows.What if you arrive at your destination after a long sleep only to find as you exit the airport instead of the usual taxi touts,only camels and pyramids in the distance.Might be better to stay awake.:no:
If the plane ditches into the ocean, I'd rather die sleeping. Of course, with the rampant rudeness in the world today, the other passengers would probably have no consideration for my needs and wake me up with their screams of terror. Inconsiderate bastards.
Damn inconsiderate bastards,lolSeriously though,how much do sleeping pills knock you out,can you wake up easily or is hard. I don't know anyone who uses them so I have no idea of the effects.SugarwareZ-046.gif

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Damn inconsiderate bastards,lolSeriously though,how much do sleeping pills knock you out,can you wake up easily or is hard. I don't know anyone who uses them so I have no idea of the effects.SugarwareZ-046.gif
The effect varies by person and what you take. For me, 2 Ambien is enough to keep me asleep for 8-10 hours. I sleep pretty soundly, but I'm not comatose. I'll wake up if there is loud noise or if I'm jostled. Once I am awake, it takes 20 minutes or so to have a completely clear head and be fully awake. If you decide to try it, its best to try them at home first so you'll know how your body repsonds to them.

Mik
Posted
Posted
post-184-12653540283633_thumb.jpg.