Pi Worries For A Expat

UZI
Posted
Posted
I like the health care system in the Philippines. It's cheap enough that you don't need insurance and also you can see a doctor right away.
I agree. I see one of the top Cardio's in the Philippines, at one of the top hospitals. He charges me just P800 for a full consultation (usually 30 mins plus) & I get to see him by appointment a day or two after phoning.Even hospital rooms cost less than a most hotels.
Its not cheap for locals unfortunately.A problem to consider is when you travel or visit the US, Europe or other countries and the length of stay. You are living cheap for the ridiculous.
When my wife or I need 'general' medical attention we go to the local Medical Center. Cost to see the OBGYN or Dr of Internal Medicine is P350. So for 'day to day' Dr needs, it is much less than a top Consultants p800. I guess Dr's in the more provincial areas would charge even less (cheaper overheads).

Singers
Posted
Posted
Thanks for sharing the information about doctors and hospital troubles,you are welcome to start another topic in the World Events Forum but could we try to keep this thread related to the Philippines thanks.:thumbs-up-smile:
I started this thread and the topic has followed my initial posting. What is wrong in that?It remains related to worries we exPats in Philippines have.Tom

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Thanks for sharing the information about doctors and hospital troubles,you are welcome to start another topic in the World Events Forum but could we try to keep this thread related to the Philippines thanks.:thumbs-up-smile:
I started this thread and the topic has followed my initial posting. What is wrong in that?It remains related to worries we exPats in Philippines have.Tom
I was not referring to your post,tropicalpenpals started to move away from the topic by talking about the UK hospitals etc and I only suggested to start another topic in the forum which allows for world wide topics.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
( Its one of those risks you take living outside a major city,not just in the Philippines but anywhere. Probably if you know you have life threatening illness its best to stay close such as history of heart problems etc.I read on a yahoo group once where some one had a medical emergence out in the sticks,there was an ambulance stationed there but the one and only driver was to drunk to drive it,lol )I was not referring to your post,tropicalpenpals started to move away from the topic by talking about the UK hospitals etc and I only suggested to start another topic in the forum which allows for world wide topics.
Thanks BOSS.Tom Edited by Singers

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
I was not referring to your post,tropicalpenpals started to move away from the topic by talking about the UK hospitals etc and I only suggested to start another topic in the forum which allows for world wide topics.
My Reply was in support of Singers initial post agreeing with him that the NHS is poor at best. At least in RP you get what you pay for not the 1000s of others that dont pay in front of you (which is the UK). As regarding the use of medical services I think you have to pick a doctor on reference from others. I dont trust the one I got my wife to change from as when we were having Zoei the doctor would sit there telling us she had just come back from a cruise around Australia as part of her commission package for the vitamins she pushes thumbs-up-smile.gif nothing worse than someone not only stealing by the things "you need" (which you dont) shes happy to tell you that you paid towards her last cruise SugarwareZ-011.gif

Singers
Posted
Posted
My Reply was in support of Singers initial post agreeing with him that the NHS is poor at best. At least in RP you get what you pay for not the 1000s of others that dont pay in front of you (which is the UK). As regarding the use of medical services I think you have to pick a doctor on reference from others. I dont trust the one I got my wife to change from as when we were having Zoei the doctor would sit there telling us she had just come back from a cruise around Australia as part of her commission package for the vitamins she pushes thumbs-up-smile.gif nothing worse than someone not only stealing by the things "you need" (which you dont) shes happy to tell you that you paid towards her last cruise SugarwareZ-011.gif
My Doc in Tac, Leyte gave me a "Product" card from the Manufacturer of my BP medicine he prescribed. It gives me a 25% discount on the monthly cost of about

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Tom, If you give me the details of your meds I will see if I can get you a better deal from the Pharmacy as a friend of mine owns a few in Cebu. Could be a good business for him and Expats if some "discount" can be organised if a few orders from the community are regular.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Tom, If you give me the details of your meds I will see if I can get you a better deal from the Pharmacy as a friend of mine owns a few in Cebu. Could be a good business for him and Expats if some "discount" can be organised if a few orders from the community are regular.
Hi Matt,Bendroflumethiazide .. 2.5mg. andEnalapril ..20mg.Is my UK Script. The PI one I have forgotten but as my UK GP said "Why has he (PI GP) put you on this". I started BP Meds in PI.I would like to get the UK equivalent and F-in-Law was put on the PI Meds I was taking so I will ask Cristine, at work now, for the PI Script. names and let you have that info later.He lives near Tacloban Leyte so items could be picked up, 6 months supply or so, when I am in Cebu. Ta,Tomps. Sikhs should be allowed to wear their ceremonial daggers - known as Kirpans - to school and other public places, Britain's first Asian judge has said.Sir Mota Singh QC --- BBC News this AM in PC Britian... Gone MAD Britain is more appropriate - me THINKS.. Edited by Singers

Singers
Posted
Posted

Its one of those risks you take living outside a major city,not just in the Philippines but anywhere. Probably if you know you have life threatening illness its best to stay close such as history of heart problems etc.I read on a yahoo group once where some one had a medical emergence out in the sticks,there was an ambulance stationed there but the one and only driver was to drunk to drive it,lolI think the other important element is to have an emergency plan. The plan can be tested to some extent possible to ensure it will work.The plan should include a way of administering life saving care immediately and for getting someone to the hospital in an emergency. Recognizing the deficiencies in emergency response especially in remote areas (there are not an appropriate number of ambulances here). I've almost got my wife convinced to learn CPR and first aid: Not just for me but for our son. I think the other important thing is to have regular preventive care and check-ups to prevent some emergencies. Maybe some things can be addressed proactively.Yup! It's all about location, location, location! And that's the main reason why we live where we are at today, just a stone throw away distance from hospitals and transportation just in a matter of minutes! Living in the boonies is fine, if you are in good condition health wise! But if not, it would truly be a disadvantage!Thank you Art & Jho,Cristine thought your suggestion admirable and will set-up such a Emergency PLAN when we are next home in PI. It will have 'phone Numbers, (Driver, GP - Hospital) that would be needed. Tex (Cristina) plans to do a "Dummy run" also so times can be factored in and her training includes CPR. Tex will also give lessons to her family - friends and neigbours for their safety. Many thanks ,Kind regards,Tom & Tex

Singers
Posted
Posted
I worried. We had a emergency when Father-in-Law was ill. It took 40 minutes to get him to hospital. The Duty Doctor was examining him in 5 minutes. My Consultant there in 20.Father stabelised and preped for early morning Op. 1/2 hour.... in Tacloban.Time inc travel 1 hour 5 minute.I have given anguished thought to my "dilemma" about the 3rd.. World response if I had a emergency while living in the boondocks..??DO NOT WORRY ANY BRITS. 72 minutes ago I rang for a Medic/Ambulance. Nothing yet. 7 ringBacks from "staff" ... The Dr deputizing service will ring back "within 30 minutes".Not for me..My Rhodesian pal is in agony... here 4 a week. NOW 1 hour 20min. AGONY..2 years ago I called Emergency -- they were here in 7 SEVEN minutes. Cristina was able to talk with a Doctor from the outset and he reassured her..They just rang us asking for address & details again...1 hour 25 minutes.Brits -- You will not miss the OLD NHS service -- BECAUSE -- it has GONE.Embrace PI and if a emergency occurs consider - this - here in PI , I am no worse off.NHS Direct just rang?? now 1 hour 30 and the call was from Nottingham ?? 100 miles away and said ring another number.???Still waiting now 1 hour 40 minutes.!!!TomPS The Dr. just rang... could I give Peter some of my "stronger" medication? "NO - I said - not my responsibility! I have prescribed Morphine. SO I give him my meds and complications arise and I am in the sh&t. Then try to find the Madras Doctor who instructed me to medicate my pal.?They will call in perhaps 2 hours...Visit, I hope. now 2 hours. from 1st call by me to NHS... therefore 4 hours possibly from 1st. phone call.???
Its one of those risks you take living outside a major city,not just in the Philippines but anywhere. Probably if you know you have life threatening illness its best to stay close such as history of heart problems etc.I read on a yahoo group once where some one had a medical emergence out in the sticks,there was an ambulance stationed there but the one and only driver was to drunk to drive it,lol
I think the other important element is to have an emergency plan. The plan can be tested to some extent possible to ensure it will work.The plan should include a way of administering life saving care immediately and for getting someone to the hospital in an emergency. Recognizing the deficiencies in emergency response especially in remote areas (there are not an appropriate number of ambulances here). I've almost got my wife convinced to learn CPR and first aid: Not just for me but for our son. I think the other important thing is to have regular preventive care and check-ups to prevent some emergencies. Maybe some things can be addressed proactively.
Thank you ,please see my reply to Art & Jho which equally applies to you.kind regards,Tom