The Philippines, Your Positive Or Negative Thoughts

Singers
Posted
Posted
I find the issue of people trying to overprice everything a headache in the Philippines especially when it doesn't make any sense...The Philippines has a lot going for it and its very easy to complain but its the positive aspects you need to dig deep and find.. otherwise you will just be as miserable as the country you left!
Totally agree with you. When I get "Kano price" I leave the store and buy somewhere else.I was divorced 6 years when I met Cristina in S'pore so faced with a "Smorgasboard" of delight for that 6 years in S'pore I had not "settled" on one Lady and it Tex took 18 months to get me to realize (silly me) we were meant for each other.I had chosen PI, BEFORE I met Tex, as 1st choice for my Retirement. Therefore I may fit the profile "old man-young Filipina" but I have never found any animosity other than among my UK Pal's wives ???? who were never popular with me in any case. My first time in PI was 1976. When first with Tex in PI, 2006, in Guizano Tacloban, 2 Nuns came towards us and I was a little stressed as Tex turned and gave me a hug.. I think I expected a "reproach"!!!... far from it the 2 Nuns smiled and one said I hope you will be very happy together!! Amazed me!We assisted in replacing the Chapel roof in our BRGY last year. Tex had been approached by the "Committee" Chairwoman to GIVE. $$$$She said we would pay and organize it with her Father as foreman. OH dear the gossip started "They are mean Etc." This Lady was known for extracting kitty cash for her own use and employing "Relatives" to work on BRGY projects which would normally be done for free labour.A neighbour donated 4 Coconut trees, free, Fathers brother turned them into lumber, free, and Bro-in-Law Engineer/builder worked for free. The Basketball team and friends gave a weekend's time, free, to remove the old roof. A real Community project. All were involved in some way, with work on " snacks" and dinner the most important, and ALL felt they had achieved something.We paid for the Metal sheets Etc and Tiles for the Alter. Not a vast amount. When the work was completed the "ChairWoman" was overheard telling how she had organised it ALL. Great... woman that she is.UK Tom:551:

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
I find the issue of people trying to overprice everything a headache in the Philippines especially when it doesn't make any sense...The Philippines has a lot going for it and its very easy to complain but its the positive aspects you need to dig deep and find.. otherwise you will just be as miserable as the country you left!
Totally agree with you. When I get "Kano price" I leave the store and buy somewhere else.I was divorced 6 years when I met Cristina in S'pore so faced with a "Smorgasboard" of delight for that 6 years in S'pore I had not "settled" on one Lady and it Tex took 18 months to get me to realize (silly me) we were meant for each other.I had chosen PI, BEFORE I met Tex, as 1st choice for my Retirement. Therefore I may fit the profile "old man-young Filipina" but I have never found any animosity other than among my UK Pal's wives ???? who were never popular with me in any case. My first time in PI was 1976. When first with Tex in PI, 2006, in Guizano Tacloban, 2 Nuns came towards us and I was a little stressed as Tex turned and gave me a hug.. I think I expected a "reproach"!!!... far from it the 2 Nuns smiled and one said I hope you will be very happy together!! Amazed me!We assisted in replacing the Chapel roof in our BRGY last year. Tex had been approached by the "Committee" Chairwoman to GIVE. $$She said we would pay and organize it with her Father as foreman. OH dear the gossip started "They are mean Etc." This Lady was known for extracting kitty cash for her own use and employing "Relatives" to work on BRGY projects which would normally be done for free labour.A neighbour donated 4 Coconut trees, free, Fathers brother turned them into lumber, free, and Bro-in-Law Engineer/builder worked for free. The Basketball team and friends gave a weekend's time, free, to remove the old roof. A real Community project. All were involved in some way, with work on " snacks" and dinner the most important, and ALL felt they had achieved something.We paid for the Metal sheets Etc and Tiles for the Alter. Not a vast amount. When the work was completed the "ChairWoman" was overheard telling how she had organised it ALL. Great... woman that she is.UK Tom:551:
UK Tom, Know exactly what your talking about.. the Aunt here is like that thumbs-up-smile.gif same reason when work was wanting doing on the family lots they always ask my wife to do it as they don't trust their sister and after she robbed me don't blame them..lol It's the old women you have to be wary of not the politicians..

softail
Posted
Posted
I will agree 100% for my case. I come here for the women, I stay here because I have no choice in the matter now. To much invested, and to much lost, stolen, cheated from me. I have to recover. But even when i do recover, I think the draw of the women would keep me here. So i wont deny that.As for my thoughts for foreigners who come here. Please listen. If you have a good retirement and some savings. KEEP IT. The Philippines is one of the greatest places in the World to come and retire, spend your pension or retirement for your needs. DONT DO BUSINESS HERE. That will ruin it all for you... Belive me I know what I am talking about. Even though I have one of the most succesful restaurants in my area. It was not always like that. I lost alot, a whole lot. Girls, Govenment, Thinking like a foreigner, and not really knowing what I was getting into really cost me..... I believe my life would have been so great, and I could have lived like a king. I was lucky to have a good amount when I arrived. But, thinking I could really do good here, not researching, not listening to other foreigners here. Thinking I was smarter than someone who been here for long time... I just really screwed up.But, now I have got it right. Took a long time, but now its going good. But I will have to spend 5 more years of my life just to recover what I orginally come with. So there you go. I would have been fine and alot better off not to do any business here. OR lets say at least the scale in which i done it. Smaller scale would probally be ok. Just make sure if you will be ok if its all is a loss and wont affect your life....Let me add, if you really, really have to, or want to do business here. First, please get with a well seasoned expat, who has been in business here for long time. Please listen to him and let him give advice and help (if he or she will ). All foreigners want to own a bikini bar (especially American). Its like a young boys dream. Let me tell you, its tough tough. I have never owned one, but I can tell you from much experience with friends. Better have all your I dotted and T's crossed and some real good connections, and a real good knowledge of the local business sense. If not you are in for a long hard road... They have been more bikini bars sold, trade hands, sold and repurchased, renovated, closed and opened than I would care to try to count. For me that is the biggest downfall for The Philippines. All the other things mentioned in other posts, Its all personal choice. I can live with most of those things and dont bother me. Sorry if i got off topic a little.....
Thats a great post. Alot of knowledge from the school of hard knocks. I think alot of expats could save themselves alot of problems by learning from your experiences. Thanks for shareing.agree.gif Doug and Sally