Australian Meat

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I read on another forum a few weeks ago about Australian meat in particular beef was shit,over the past week or so I have checked out the Australian meat section in a few supermarkets.I think from looking at it,its not Australian beef or lamb at all,it looks nothing like what we have in Australia bearing in mind that Australia exports our best meat and leaves a lower quality for us Aussies to eat.The cuts are weird and the color of the meat is not right,even the texture is wrong.A good steak will have marbling of fat through out the meat but I can not see that here.Is it or is it not,that is the question?:cool_beans:

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
I read on another forum a few weeks ago about Australian meat in particular beef was sh&t,over the past week or so I have checked out the Australian meat section in a few supermarkets.I think from looking at it,its not Australian beef or lamb at all,it looks nothing like what we have in Australia bearing in mind that Australia exports our best meat and leaves a lower quality for us Aussies to eat.The cuts are weird and the color of the meat is not right,even the texture is wrong.A good steak will have marbling of fat through out the meat but I can not see that here.Is it or is it not,that is the question?:cool_beans:
Here, in UK, I often use a Chinese wholesale Supermarket in Birmingham for Tex's Eastern palate. The Chinese restaurants in town have deliveries from them. I have bought "full" fillet steak there for less than 1/2 the normal supermarket price. It is good. The receipt showed the items purchased correctly except for the Brazilian Beef which was labeled Chinese vegetables. So labeling local meat as Aussie beef, where you are, would be of little surprise.? Me thinks.:cool_beans: Edited by Singers

Braddo
Posted
Posted
I read on another forum a few weeks ago about Australian meat in particular beef was sh&t,over the past week or so I have checked out the Australian meat section in a few supermarkets.I think from looking at it,its not Australian beef or lamb at all,it looks nothing like what we have in Australia bearing in mind that Australia exports our best meat and leaves a lower quality for us Aussies to eat.The cuts are weird and the color of the meat is not right,even the texture is wrong.A good steak will have marbling of fat through out the meat but I can not see that here.Is it or is it not,that is the question?
Hi Boss Man,We went to Macro's when in Cebu they had a huge range of meats I purchased a full Brazilian Tender Loan Frozen, was a bit sceptical about buying Frozen meat as you can never tell how many times it has been thawed then refreezed again but it was delicious and the price was cheap as well.Cheers braddo

Singers
Posted
Posted
I read on another forum a few weeks ago about Australian meat in particular beef was sh&t,over the past week or so I have checked out the Australian meat section in a few supermarkets.I think from looking at it,its not Australian beef or lamb at all,it looks nothing like what we have in Australia bearing in mind that Australia exports our best meat and leaves a lower quality for us Aussies to eat.The cuts are weird and the color of the meat is not right,even the texture is wrong.A good steak will have marbling of fat through out the meat but I can not see that here.Is it or is it not,that is the question?
Hi Boss Man,We went to Macro's when in Cebu they had a huge range of meats I purchased a full Brazilian Tender Loan Frozen, was a bit sceptical about buying Frozen meat as you can never tell how many times it has been thawed then refreezed again but it was delicious and the price was cheap as well.Cheers braddo
Hi Braddo,I also used Makro, Cebu, last year and found the Brazilian fillet "tender and tasty".Cheers mate,UK Tom

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I read on another forum a few weeks ago about Australian meat in particular beef was sh&t,over the past week or so I have checked out the Australian meat section in a few supermarkets.I think from looking at it,its not Australian beef or lamb at all,it looks nothing like what we have in Australia bearing in mind that Australia exports our best meat and leaves a lower quality for us Aussies to eat.The cuts are weird and the color of the meat is not right,even the texture is wrong.A good steak will have marbling of fat through out the meat but I can not see that here.Is it or is it not,that is the question?:th_thbarbaque:
There is a company called Australia Meat, but I think they just use the name and I don't think their meat comes from Australia. I've bought it before and the meat is not that high of quality. I don't think the Philippines imports a high quality of meat. Decent beef is hard to come by, especially steaks, and when you find it, its very expensive. I used to buy Australian meat imported from Australia at a local sari-sari store and it was very good meat, although at over 700p/kg it was very expensive.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Since there is very little if any truth in advertising in the Philippines and since the government here does not regulate truth in advertising, I seriously doubt that meat which says it is Australian meat is really imported from there. Heck the signs in the restaurants never represent the actual product you get when you order them. Is it really beef from Australia, the chances are probably maybe one in a hundred IMO.Now with that said, this is the Philippines and those of us who live here or visit often, know what to expect, so we should not raise our expectations too high. What is, is and we just have to accept it. BTW, this is not being negative, this is just being honest.

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
I read on another forum a few weeks ago about Australian meat in particular beef was sh&t,over the past week or so I have checked out the Australian meat section in a few supermarkets.I think from looking at it,its not Australian beef or lamb at all,it looks nothing like what we have in Australia bearing in mind that Australia exports our best meat and leaves a lower quality for us Aussies to eat.The cuts are weird and the color of the meat is not right,even the texture is wrong.A good steak will have marbling of fat through out the meat but I can not see that here.Is it or is it not,that is the question?:th_thbarbaque:
Try the vacuum-packed tenderloin in Rustan's, Ayala. 900/kilo. They have marbling of fat, and the steak is really good.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Since there is very little if any truth in advertising in the Philippines and since the government here does not regulate truth in advertising, I seriously doubt that meat which says it is Australian meat is really imported from there. Heck the signs in the restaurants never represent the actual product you get when you order them. Is it really beef from Australia, the chances are probably maybe one in a hundred IMO.Now with that said, this is the Philippines and those of us who live here or visit often, know what to expect, so we should not raise our expectations too high. What is, is and we just have to accept it. BTW, this is not being negative, this is just being honest.
Hello Lee,Talk about truth in advertising. I often times accompany my wife to the local palengke (open public market) and would turn green whenever we venture into the "wet" section of the market. No matter what they're selling -- be it fish, meat, chicken or even vegetables, they all have one thing in common: flies, swarms of them. In spite of the obvious health hazards, "we accept what it is by not raising our expectations too high". As long we don't buy "re-dead meat" or "red tide mussels", we're good to go. "This is not being negative, this is justbeing honest". Some of us may be on a restrictive budget and we have to learn how to go native all the way.Respectfully -- Jake

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Hello Lee,Talk about truth in advertising. I often times accompany my wife to the local palengke (open public market) and would turn green whenever we venture into the "wet" section of the market. No matter what they're selling -- be it fish, meat, chicken or even vegetables, they all have one thing in common: flies, swarms of them. In spite of the obvious health hazards, "we accept what it is by not raising our expectations too high". As long we don't buy "re-dead meat" or "red tide mussels", we're good to go. "This is not being negative, this is justbeing honest". Some of us may be on a restrictive budget and we have to learn how to go native all the way.Respectfully -- Jake
I was so disgusted by the wet market in our town that I just stopped going. I decided if I didn't have to see the conditions the meat was sold under that I would be able to eat it ok. After all, millions of Filipinos buy the same meat and they don't seem any worse for it. We could shop at the more expensive grocery store, but I seriously doubt that their meat is handled any better. Its displayed nicer at the point of sale, but I'm sure it was handled in the same manner as the meat in the wet market throughout the supply chain.

Travis
Posted
Posted
I read on another forum a few weeks ago about Australian meat in particular beef was sh&t,over the past week or so I have checked out the Australian meat section in a few supermarkets.I think from looking at it,its not Australian beef or lamb at all,it looks nothing like what we have in Australia bearing in mind that Australia exports our best meat and leaves a lower quality for us Aussies to eat.The cuts are weird and the color of the meat is not right,even the texture is wrong.A good steak will have marbling of fat through out the meat but I can not see that here.Is it or is it not,that is the question?th_thbarbaque.gif
is there a town in the Philippines named Australian?