Australian Meat

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I read on another forum a few weeks ago about Australian meat in particular beef was sh&t,over the past week or so I have checked out the Australian meat section in a few supermarkets.I think from looking at it,its not Australian beef or lamb at all,it looks nothing like what we have in Australia bearing in mind that Australia exports our best meat and leaves a lower quality for us Aussies to eat.The cuts are weird and the color of the meat is not right,even the texture is wrong.A good steak will have marbling of fat through out the meat but I can not see that here.Is it or is it not,that is the question?th_thbarbaque.gif
is there a town in the Philippines named Australian?
YES,but you need an international flight to get there :cheersty:

• 2 months later...
country member
Posted
Posted

I agree, in general, "Australian Beef" in Makati/Fort B is tough and cheap. Flavour is ok, good for stewing only.But, considering decent cuts (fillet, rib-eye, sirloin) in Australia cost $30-50AUD per kilo (1200-2000 peso), and Makati "Australian Beef" costs 300-600pesos per kilo, why the surprise?I buy most of my meat at S&R at Fort, good chicken and really excellent pork. S&R sells "Australian Beef" good for stewing only, and sometimes excellent "NZ Beef". The NZ beef is variable, so when they have the good stuff, I buy bulk.The issue I have generally with Manila supermarket meats is the lack of care in handling and butchering meats. Most shops (except S&R) do not date stamp packaging.My biggest turn-off is the handling of chicken. Go to some chicken shops (except S&R), and it smells like raw sh&t. They (especially Rustan's) chop up the chickens BEFORE they take out the guts. They then hose the sh&t off the meat and offer it for sale.I highly recommend SM at Glorietta for fish, but probably best to stay away from the freshwater stuff, and NEVER eat Manila catfish, cos they can be caught in the Pasay sewer, er, River.Tanigue fish is my favourite, a tuna relative, a bit like mackeral. Excellent fry or BBQ.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I agree, in general, "Australian Beef" in Makati/Fort B is tough and cheap. Flavour is ok, good for stewing only.But, considering decent cuts (fillet, rib-eye, sirloin) in Australia cost $30-50AUD per kilo (1200-2000 peso), and Makati "Australian Beef" costs 300-600pesos per kilo, why the surprise?I buy most of my meat at S&R at Fort, good chicken and really excellent pork. S&R sells "Australian Beef" good for stewing only, and sometimes excellent "NZ Beef". The NZ beef is variable, so when they have the good stuff, I buy bulk.The issue I have generally with Manila supermarket meats is the lack of care in handling and butchering meats. Most shops (except S&R) do not date stamp packaging.My biggest turn-off is the handling of chicken. Go to some chicken shops (except S&R), and it smells like raw sh&t. They (especially Rustan's) chop up the chickens BEFORE they take out the guts. They then hose the sh&t off the meat and offer it for sale.I highly recommend SM at Glorietta for fish, but probably best to stay away from the freshwater stuff, and NEVER eat Manila catfish, cos they can be caught in the Pasay sewer, er, River.Tanigue fish is my favourite, a tuna relative, a bit like mackeral. Excellent fry or BBQ.
I agree, in general, "Australian Beef" in Makati/Fort B is tough and cheap. Flavour is ok, good for stewing only.But, considering decent cuts (fillet, rib-eye, sirloin) in Australia cost $30-50AUD per kilo (1200-2000 peso), and Makati "Australian Beef" costs 300-600pesos per kilo, why the surprise?
lol, that explains why on another forum I once read a comment that Australian beef was crap,if they can sell an imported beef well below the average price of its country of origin then its either not real Australian beef or it is the worst quality meat that can be found.I believe Australia only exports its best and that's why in most cases unless you know where to find export quality beef in Australia you end up buying supermarket grade.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
I agree, in general, "Australian Beef" in Makati/Fort B is tough and cheap. Flavour is ok, good for stewing only.But, considering decent cuts (fillet, rib-eye, sirloin) in Australia cost $30-50AUD per kilo (1200-2000 peso), and Makati "Australian Beef" costs 300-600pesos per kilo, why the surprise?
lol, that explains why on another forum I once read a comment that Australian beef was crap,if they can sell an imported beef well below the average price of its country of origin then its either not real Australian beef or it is the worst quality meat that can be found.I believe Australia only exports its best and that's why in most cases unless you know where to find export quality beef in Australia you end up buying supermarket grade.
Australian beef IME is very good like NZ meat.I had one of the best steaks I have ever eaten in Sydney 1973 when "The good stuff" didn't have wings and fly to Tokyo... like the best Oz fruit etc... don't see many OZ men on Japanese Menu :mocking:I have been told the EU "dumps" low quality meat in Asian markets (open secret) - sold and stamped as low grade. It may be that this "Dog food" quality meat is cut and packed in PI and labeled OZ or Kiwi. SugarwareZ-002.gifSame goes with SA meat Brazilian Etc.. They buy the low quality in some Asian Countries... In Cebu MAKRO sell good quality SA meat but in bulk. eg a whole fillet minimum. I think it expensive though.UK Tom Edited by Singers