Holy Week!

f3dragonjedi
Posted
Posted

As this is my first time in the Philippines during Holy Week, what should I expect?Places open or closed?Any special customs or restrictions that we should be aware of?I'm an American Catholic, but our observance of Holy Week in the US is obviously very different than that here in the Philippines. We visited Robinson's near Fuente yesterday as well as the new Robinson's Cybergate. To my great surprise, both are closed all day Holy Thursday and Good Friday (and in fact some of the individual stores are also closed on Wednesday).Are most/all shopping malls and restaurants closed Thursday and Friday?Was thinking to go to Moalboal or Dumaguete for a few days. Will things be "normal" those places, or VERY toned down?Any comments welcome.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
As this is my first time in the Philippines during Holy Week, what should I expect?Places open or closed?Any special customs or restrictions that we should be aware of?I'm an American Catholic, but our observance of Holy Week in the US is obviously very different than that here in the Philippines. We visited Robinson's near Fuente yesterday as well as the new Robinson's Cybergate. To my great surprise, both are closed all day Holy Thursday and Good Friday (and in fact some of the individual stores are also closed on Wednesday).Are most/all shopping malls and restaurants closed Thursday and Friday?Was thinking to go to Moalboal or Dumaguete for a few days. Will things be "normal" those places, or VERY toned down?Any comments welcome.
The country pretty much shuts down during Holy Week. Most people leave the city and go back to their home town in the provinces. Some stores will be open, but many will be closed. Its hit and miss what's open and what isn't. The biggest problem is that banks will be closed. Most are closed from Wednesday onward and will reopen on Monday the 5th. Since banks are closed, everyone uses the ATMs and they generally run out of money before things reopen on Monday. So, if you need cash, get it now before the banks close and while the ATMs still have cash.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Agreed, hit and miss and many of the malls will be closed Friday and the streets will look like a ghost town and I love it that way but the taxis and most of the jeepneys will still be all over, most places will be open on the weekend and there will be great sales running in some of the malls, all if it is like most past years.

Travis
Posted
Posted
Agreed, hit and miss and many of the malls will be closed Friday and the streets will look like a ghost town and I love it that way but the taxis and most of the jeepneys will still be all over, most places will be open on the weekend and there will be great sales running in some of the malls, all if it is like most past years.
th_exactly.gif36_1_68[1].gif7_4_17[1].gifth_thbarbaque.gif7_3_205[1].gifcrack-up.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Photos of the streets near Rain Tree Mall, Robinson's Mall and near Osmena Circle on Mango during last years Holy Week Good Friday. I am told the malls will be closed Friday and Saturday so if you are going then please check first to make sure they are open.

post-40-1270034628177_thumb.jpg

post-40-12700346395667_thumb.jpg

post-40-12700346551046_thumb.jpg

post-40-12700346888692_thumb.jpg

post-40-12700347043437_thumb.jpg

post-40-12700347186606_thumb.jpg

Travis
Posted
Posted

looks kind of dead on the roads anyone know what is open today tomorrow & the weekend & what is not?

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
looks kind of dead on the roads anyone know what is open today tomorrow & the weekend & what is not?
In all my years of traveling here, I had never been here before during Easter. This is my first full year living here so I'm learning too.I visited several malls today and some of the department stores were open while the malls were closed. The signs indicated they would re-open on Saturday. What surprised me was that the theatres were closed until Saturday too! I had tried to get bookings at local resorts last week and they were all fully booked.What are you to do Thursday and Friday?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
In all my years of traveling here, I had never been here before during Easter. This is my first full year living here so I'm learning too.I visited several malls today and some of the department stores were open while the malls were closed. The signs indicated they would re-open on Saturday. What surprised me was that the theatres were closed until Saturday too! I had tried to get bookings at local resorts last week and they were all fully booked.What are you to do Thursday and Friday?
I've been trawling various forums and eating gummy bears all day. Good times!

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Does anyone know if restaurants are open today? The chains I hate to mention Dim Sum Express, Chow King, Jollibee, McDonalds, etc. ? Because I have such a gold heart, I gave our helper the day off for observances. I see with our neighbors, all the helpers are working today. Now with no helper and my wife out of town, I've got to find a place for my son and I to eat. What surprises me is that with the extreme ultimates of entrepreneurial spirit here (people opening small businesses to build, sell, fix, everything) and people off from work looking for things to do, that more stores, restaurants, and vendors don't take advantage of being the only ones or the few that are open.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if restaurants are open today? The chains I hate to mention Dim Sum Express, Chow King, Jollibee, McDonalds, etc. ? Because I have such a gold heart, I gave our helper the day off for observances. I see with our neighbors, all the helpers are working today. Now with no helper and my wife out of town, I've got to find a place for my son and I to eat. What surprises me is that with the extreme ultimates of entrepreneurial spirit here (people opening small businesses to build, sell, fix, everything) and people off from work looking for things to do, that more stores, restaurants, and vendors don't take advantage of being the only ones or the few that are open.
Wish I knew but yesterday I walked past Chow King at Country Mall,there was a hand written sign on the door but because the security guard had the door open the sign was blowing upwards so I did not read it,my guess it would have said closed today.