Singers
Posted
Posted
haven't you guys heard yet bald is beautiful
Only if is someone else!!SugarwareZ-011.gif

parksb2
Posted
Posted
My wife and I went to Ayala to meet a friend for dinner, and she said lets go early and had something in her mind but was not letting on to me what. While walking around she said lets go down to Rustans Supermarket downstairs in the rotunda area to look for some bread, well we did not find the bread she wanted, so then she hinted that I really needed a haircut and has hinted that for the last few days, so while we were down on that floor she said "lets look in the hair cutter shop there" so we did and it was called Jolly Barbers. So I walk in the door and ask pila and they say p100, so I said what the heck, the worst they could do was scalp me and I might look better bald anyway. SugarwareZ-005.gif So in the chair I go and a nice your man named Dede was the barber, I liked him already because of what that means in Tagalog, :th_signs083: hint 1024.gif but maybe not spelled that way, anyway he cut my hair and it came out much better than I had expected it to and I did not have a bald head, so the day was going good so far, so I gave him a p50 tip which I know was way too much but I think I made his day and him hearing me speak to my wife in Cebuano back and forth probably made his day even more and having me answer him when he asked my wife a question in Cebuano about me really got him smiling. Ahhhh, the simple things in life that can make a persons day and I save about $15 from what it would have cost me in the US. :541: Good thing they were only using words I know. SugarwareZ-004.gif
Hmmm, you need to ask bagun about the place down by Iglesio Ni Cristo church near Fuente; Opee and I got cuts there for 120 php (thats two heads) total and I think we left a massive 20 php tip... but you'd need to be bayut tolerant to go in there; the "gal" who cut my hair was near over the top even by filipino bayut standards...I wouldn't have gone in without the bride; but it probably the sharpest haircut I've ever had all done with a straight SugarwareZ-011.gif razor; and we had a good laugh about it.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hmmm, you need to ask bagun about the place down by Iglesio Ni Cristo church near Fuente; Opee and I got cuts there for 120 php (thats two heads) total and I think we left a massive 20 php tip... but you'd need to be bayut tolerant to go in there; the "gal" who cut my hair was near over the top even by filipino bayut standards...I wouldn't have gone in without the bride; but it probably the sharpest haircut I've ever had all done with a straight SugarwareZ-011.gif razor; and we had a good laugh about it.
Hey pal, I am happy to hear from Charity and May that you are talking good care of my daughter and my future grandchild. :cheers: I have no problem who would cut my hair and I had a Korean man in Florida who used to cut my hair with a razor and it was one of the best and fastest haircuts I ever got, but he retired and I really miss his haircuts ever since and have never found anyone again who did as good a job as that man did, but with that said, nowadays with AIDS and all that being so prevalent, I would have to worry about any razor cut if the unit was not kept in some type of sterilization liquid (not normal for razors) or insert blade changed before my haircut because if he should happen to nick me then I might end up with AIDS and not even have had the pleasure of enjoying how I got it. SugarwareZ-005.gif SugarwareZ-007.gif Thanks for the tip though and I think I may just stick with the guy I used because I am happy with how the haircut came out and since we go to Ayala all the time, I can just stop in whenever I need one and not even go out of my way. :541:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KlausB
Posted
Posted

As you might see on my profile picture my haircut is not that bad at all. And 80 Peso only. I am used to leave 20 Peso Tip. My Barber is located in Mactan Island Marina Mall first level. But do not ask me for the name of the Shop i always forget it. But as far i know there is only one at this level.

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted

I have a local barber from here on Mactan Island come to my busienss and cut mine right in the office. I dont care for going and sitting in the chairs, and I dont care for the rubbing on my head and shoulders and the little 5 minute massage that comes with the haircut... Some might think it feels good and relaxing, I dont like it at all... Its more of a torture to me.... I pay P 100 with a tip of P 25 or 50.

buster
Posted
Posted

Having a haircut and shave in an old fashioned barber shop in the Philippines is a highlight of my trip and something I look forward to. In CDO last year I went to the local barber. From the the haircut itself followed by the hot towel on the face and the shave with the cut throat razor as well as head and shoulder massage the whole expeience took about an hour. ( i am on vacation so plenty of time) all for 60 peso plus tip. I thought I was in an old cowboy movie!!We have nothing like this in Australia anymore.PS. It was the closest shave I have ever had. Cant get anywhere near that with my Philishave.

• 10 months later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Update, I had another haircut at the same place, and now the cost is p120, so while a p20 increase does not seem like much, the exchange rate last year was around 47 to one US dollar, so a haircut cost me about $2.28 last year and now the exchange rate is less than 44, so at p120, a haircut cost now cost me $2.75, which in itself is not a substantial increase, but when all increases in costs of living are combined, this year it cost us approximately a 33% increase in costs just from last year at the same time. So all, if things keep up at this rate, it is going to get very expensive to live here.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Update, I had another haircut at the same place, and now the cost is p120, so while a p20 increase does not seem like much, the exchange rate last year was around 47 to one US dollar, so a haircut cost me about $2.28 last year and now the exchange rate is less than 44, so at p120, a haircut cost now cost me $2.75, which in itself is not a substantial increase, but when all increases in costs of living are combined, this year it cost us approximately a 33% increase in costs just from last year at the same time. So all, if things keep up at this rate, it is going to get very expensive to live here.
'get very expensive'?Your lifestyle is already WAY over the top of what I can afford. Haircuts at Franzy's in Fooda have been 50 pesos and consistently good for the last 3 years and a 20 peso tip is quite acceptable. I have found a lot that are more expensive in Ayala or SM and I have found a lot that are cheaper but do not do as good a job.Of course, when you tip the guy 50 pesos like you did last year, that is the exact same thing as saying: You are not charging enough, here, have some extra
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
'get very expensive'?Your lifestyle is already WAY over the top of what I can afford. Haircuts at Franzy's in Fooda have been 50 pesos and consistently good for the last 3 years and a 20 peso tip is quite acceptable. I have found a lot that are more expensive in Ayala or SM and I have found a lot that are cheaper but do not do as good a job.Of course, when you tip the guy 50 pesos like you did last year, that is the exact same thing as saying: You are not charging enough, here, have some extra
Thank you for pointing that out to me, yes that is one of my faults, that I am often too generous to those who I feel deserve it. While I do not give money to beggars who refuse to at least try to work, I will give to those who are disabled and therefore might not be able to work. I also give to those who are working and doing a good job of it, because IMHO they are not part of the problem here, but again IMHO actually part of the solution, and they therefore set a good example for the future generations, so if my tip encourages future generations to follow in the footsteps of their parents, family or friends, then I feel I have done a service to this country, in my own little way. Now back to the haircut, I do not feel that my p50 tip was the cause of the price going up, yet I do feel that the cost of living in general here was more responsible for the increase. There has been mandatory increases in salaries, as well as rent increases and the overall cost of supplies has no doubt also gone up. I also feel I save more than the difference between having a haircut done at a place outside of town, just by doing a few things all at one time, such as shopping, eating out and getting a haircut all in the same place. Most often the employers and landlords here seem to make all the money, while the employees seem to get the short end of the stick, so to me, it is the employees who deserve to make a little more for their hard work. So could I be a lot more frugal, you know that I could, but I only have one life to live, and since I do not know how long that life might be, I do my best to try to enjoy my life while I can and make sure that my time on this planet might be thought of kindly by some.
  • Like 1