My Observations About Safety And Security In Cebu City

MattFromGA
Posted
Posted

I've been living in Cebu City for 4.5 years now and have never once felt threatened in a Jeepney or anywhere I've gone. I've taken my motorcycle to Carbon market at 11pm with my wife to buy vegetables and tooled around barangay mabolo at 1am and never had a flinch of fear. Granted I myself am intimidating looking and dont look like an old man, so I'm sure that helps me to be left alone.However, the real issue I've found is people that get within your inner circle and are interacting with your life in some way. The scams or theft that can and do happen by people you deal with is the much bigger problem. We had a break-in here, and the police labeled it as an "inside job". Could have been the house maid, or a family member. We never did find out (which still bothers me to this day).

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I've been living in Cebu City for 4.5 years now and have never once felt threatened in a Jeepney or anywhere I've gone.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

TOTALLY agree with Matt....I tend to feel safe anyplace I want to go, but I do have distrust of inner circles, until I can trust them. Being poor, starving poor is one thing...and an issue here of course as it is third world, but so is jealousy. Somebody trying to snatch a few pesos from you to feed themselves is one thing, but a worker or family member snatching a piece of bling because they wish they had it is something that like Matt, would bother me far worst.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I've come to change my opinion about safety in the Philippines. When living in Baguio, I did not feel all that safe at night. There were very few street lights or vehicle traffic. Come 9pm, the town pretty much rolled up the sidewalks. It was definitely uncomfortable for me to walk around deserted, dark streets no matter the quality of neighborhood I was in. There were also a lot of people staring. Baguio is not provincial by any means, but foreigners were less common there than in Manila.Now that we live in Manila, my attitude has changed. There are always so many people around that I feel safer. That may be an illusion, but I think its easier to avoid crime when there are lots of people and well-lit streets. I had my pocket picked on the LRT a few months ago, but that was more my stupidity then a sign that the city is dangerous. All in all, I feel pretty safe walking around the neighborhood now. Nobody has hassled me and as time has gone by, the touts and beggars seldom bother me anymore.Aside from having my pocket picked, the only other problem I've had was with people stealing slippers off our front porch and my wife's underwear off the clothes line in Baguio. That was more annoying and creepy than dangerous though.

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted

In my entire 8 years here, I have been cheated, scammed, robbed, home broken into, business broken into, ect.... Only once is all of these cases was it a stranger. Or from walking the streets. All the other times, has been girlfriends friends, family, workers, or someone who knowed a worker, or someone connected someway... Thats the ones really to watch...Only had one fist fight in all my time here...... It was with another Foreigner...... Been threatened to be shot twice....... By foreigner ( same one as fight. lol ha ha ha ) So i will agree totally that the inner circle is the ones to really watch..... I have come up with the thinking, each time i meet a new pinoy ( and some foreigner also ) I think, " ok, wonder what he is thinking of scamming, stealing, cheating, ect...... Not all deserve that, but if i start with that, seems I do better and watch more carefully..... I will add, in my case, its the ones you would least think would do something like that, that is always the ones who do it.....

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
In my entire 8 years here, I have been cheated, scammed, robbed, home broken into, business broken into, ect.... Only once is all of these cases was it a stranger. Or from walking the streets. All the other times, has been girlfriends friends, family, workers, or someone who knowed a worker, or someone connected someway... Thats the ones really to watch...Only had one fist fight in all my time here...... It was with another Foreigner...... Been threatened to be shot twice....... By foreigner ( same one as fight. lol ha ha ha ) So i will agree totally that the inner circle is the ones to really watch..... I have come up with the thinking, each time i meet a new pinoy ( and some foreigner also ) I think, " ok, wonder what he is thinking of scamming, stealing, cheating, ect...... Not all deserve that, but if i start with that, seems I do better and watch more carefully..... I will add, in my case, its the ones you would least think would do something like that, that is always the ones who do it.....
Not a bad thing becoming a Realist. ! All good wishes for the future.UK Tom Edited by Singers

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I've come to change my opinion about safety in the Philippines. When living in Baguio, I did not feel all that safe at night. There were very few street lights or vehicle traffic. Come 9pm, the town pretty much rolled up the sidewalks. It was definitely uncomfortable for me to walk around deserted, dark streets no matter the quality of neighborhood I was in. There were also a lot of people staring. Baguio is not provincial by any means, but foreigners were less common there than in Manila.Now that we live in Manila, my attitude has changed. There are always so many people around that I feel safer. That may be an illusion, but I think its easier to avoid crime when there are lots of people and well-lit streets. I had my pocket picked on the LRT a few months ago, but that was more my stupidity then a sign that the city is dangerous. All in all, I feel pretty safe walking around the neighborhood now. Nobody has hassled me and as time has gone by, the touts and beggars seldom bother me anymore.Aside from having my pocket picked, the only other problem I've had was with people stealing slippers off our front porch and my wife's underwear off the clothes line in Baguio. That was more annoying and creepy than dangerous though.
:hystery:Haha...just spit up my drink. Yes, that is creepy. Haha...laughing out loud...imagining you both outside asking each other...did we have underwear here last night?

Jake
Posted
Posted
I've been living in Cebu City for 4.5 years now and have never once felt threatened in a Jeepney or anywhere I've gone. I've taken my motorcycle to Carbon market at 11pm with my wife to buy vegetables and tooled around barangay mabolo at 1am and never had a flinch of fear. Granted I myself am intimidating looking and dont look like an old man, so I'm sure that helps me to be left alone.However, the real issue I've found is people that get within your inner circle and are interacting with your life in some way. The scams or theft that can and do happen by people you deal with is the much bigger problem. We had a break-in here, and the police labeled it as an "inside job". Could have been the house maid, or a family member. We never did find out (which still bothers me to this day).
Hey Guys,This reply could also be in the "things to bring to PI" thread, but I believe it's more relevant here.I'm currently researching all the home security systems such as smoke and motion detectors and of course a camera system. Maybe two exterior cameras with night vision capabilities and one forinterior surveillence. Prefer wireless to PC for video feed and power requirements need to be universal (220vac).You folks see any of those items there in PI? Meanwhile, I will continue to research here in SoCal.Respectfully -- Jake

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hey Guys,This reply could also be in the "things to bring to PI" thread, but I believe it's more relevant here.I'm currently researching all the home security systems such as smoke and motion detectors and of course a camera system. Maybe two exterior cameras with night vision capabilities and one forinterior surveillence. Prefer wireless to PC for video feed and power requirements need to be universal (220vac).You folks see any of those items there in PI? Meanwhile, I will continue to research here in SoCal.Respectfully -- Jake
Hi Jake,Our security lights kept "blowing" in only slight rain after fitting last year. I had them replaced and they continued to short and blow. I checked and found ALL the connections on the outside were made with electricians TAPE!!! thus allowing the rain to penetrate.?Things on my list to take/send --- Quality Electric connectors (WaterProof).OH -- The Electrician tied small umbrellas to the security light posts as a "solution" SugarwareZ-011.gif lasted until the first gust of wind!!!???UK Tom Edited by Singers

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
You dont need to bring your own,there are places to buy,what part of the Philippines are you going to live?