Testicles Attacked By Dogs

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
My pet saying is "there is no such thing as a bad dog - JUST - Bad owners...UK Tom
Exactly! Any breed can be trained to be mean and for fighting. Dogs inherently want to please their owners. People who breed dogs for fighting use harsh techniques to make the dogs mean and want to fight. Pit bulls just happen to be a favorite for fight breeders which has caused them to get a bad rap. I've had a couple of friends who owned pit bulls, but who raised them and trained them to be gentle dogs. So its all in how you train and treat your dog.
Well, there goes the neigborsdog :(Most american pitbull terriers look like mixed breeds, or mutts...until the hood started breeding for a big head, cropping the ears ect...and that bully type out crossed with probably a mastiff, complete with the bling ...with such nice lines such as Gotti and Razoredge.
michael-vick-jury-cartoon.jpg"YEA ..... He's definately a sh&tzu, of a, Dog owner!"SugarwareZ-011.gifUK TOM
Edited by Singers

MattFromGA
Posted
Posted

What about the first face transplant woman? Her face was eaten by her own Labrador, which she was not raising to be a fighter or mean. Dogs are animals, and while 99%+ of all house dogs wouldnt do such things, you cant be totally shocked when it does happen. If you have babies and dogs in the same house, you need to keep your eye out a bit more. Even a dog you've known for years could turn around and attack a baby out of the clear blue. It doesnt happen often, but it does happen.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very tragic. No matter who is at fault an innocent has suffered horribly. Maybe dog and owner should be put down.

Edited by tom_shor

Singers
Posted
Posted
Maybe dog and owner should be put down.
Yes Tom,Perhaps we had the same Tutor??UK Tom

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted

I love dogs, and have five... a Siberian Husky, two Italian Greyhounds and two Maltese. I would love to have a Pit, but just do not want the responsibility. The Pit is a victim of its own success. It was initially bred for the necessary attributes to be used as a bear baiter or bull baiter, including magnificent musculature and endurance, large, forceful jaws, and the ability to bite, hold-on and violently tug... to the death of its target or itself if necessary. Its breeding for these attributes was so successful, that the breed was then cross-trained for pit fighting against other dogs... hence its name... Pit Bull.The Pit Bull is not person aggressive by nature, but it is animal aggressive, including other dogs of any breed. Regardless of how it occurs, if a full grown Pit finds itself in a fight with a dog other than a Pit, without intervention, it will likely kill the other dog. Not a fun day at the dog park.Even though not person aggressive, if for whatever reason a Pit does make a person the target of attack, without intervention, it will likely inflict extreme injury or kill that person. It could be under certain circumstance... but likely will not be... a fun day for you. As I stated above, I would love to have a Pit due to their many terrific attributes... but I never will because I do not want the responsibilty. Tom in Texas

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Well said Tom, although many can and do become socialized with other dogs and can become part of the pack (they are dogs first most), they, like other powerful dogs, are not for everyone. People need to be aware of the fact a american pitbull terrier is a dog that is eager to please, and if trained to go after humans by an underhanded owner, he will do so. This, of course, will begin to create a unstable dog (and line if breeding said dog), as the long time breeding of the dog was completely opposite this characteristic. If you are in want of this great animal, get one from a responsible breeder...actually, one that actually has "fighting" lines in it, and not some backyard breeder... they make INCREDIBLE loyal stable dogs. I tend to disagree with the shelters and adoption of a "pit" versus purchasing one from a bona fide breeder, as most of the adoptable pitbulls are not only mixed other type dogs, but poorly bred, and many can and do have issues...from poor breeding to cruel owners, if they are ineed actually american pitbull terriers in the first place. Due to the media lumping any short haired dog that bites as a pitbull, many owners of real bulldogs are now are carrying DNA papers on the line, in hope to distance ourselves from the new media created breed. I have personally been around close to 500 real bulldogs in my life, friends with some of the top breeders, and I have only seen one that I wold call unstable.

The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and Pit Bulls placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate
:565:

Singers
Posted
Posted
Well said Tom, although many can and do become socialized with other dogs and can become part of the pack (they are dogs first most), they, like other powerful dogs, are not for everyone. People need to be aware of the fact a american pitbull terrier is a dog that is eager to please, and if trained to go after humans by an underhanded owner, he will do so. This, of course, will begin to create a unstable dog (and line if breeding said dog), as the long time breeding of the dog was completely opposite this characteristic. If you are in want of this great animal, get one from a responsible breeder...actually, one that actually has "fighting" lines in it, and not some backyard breeder... they make INCREDIBLE loyal stable dogs. I tend to disagree with the shelters and adoption of a "pit" versus purchasing one from a bona fide breeder, as most of the adoptable pitbulls are not only mixed other type dogs, but poorly bred, and many can and do have issues...from poor breeding to cruel owners, if they are ineed actually american pitbull terriers in the first place. Due to the media lumping any short haired dog that bites as a pitbull, many owners of real bulldogs are now are carrying DNA papers on the line, in hope to distance ourselves from the new media created breed. I have personally been around close to 500 real bulldogs in my life, friends with some of the top breeders, and I have only seen one that I wold call unstable.
The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and Pit Bulls placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate
Thank you for this "balanced" view. I am considering a "Guard dog" , for our PI home and not yet completely decided on a breed.I worry about the Climate there adversely affecting certain breeds.? (Their comfort level)Any information on this aspect of selecting a dog will be appreciated. In UK I have a Jack Russell and my choice of guard dog here would be Rhodesian Ridgeback or Doberman.My family have bred & raced Greyhounds so I can care for a dog and we had Irish setters and sheepdogs working also.I had a Weimaraner here in UK -- a complete Hooligan -- but safe with children and was sadly missed. UK Tom SugarwareZ-003.gif

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Thank you for this "balanced" view. I am considering a "Guard dog" , for our PI home and not yet completely decided on a breed.I worry about the Climate there adversely affecting certain breeds.? (Their comfort level)Any information on this aspect of selecting a dog will be appreciated. In UK I have a Jack Russell and my choice of guard dog here would be Rhodesian Ridgeback or Doberman.My family have bred & raced Greyhounds so I can care for a dog and we had Irish setters and sheepdogs working also.I had a Weimaraner here in UK -- a complete Hooligan -- but safe with children and was sadly missed. UK Tom SugarwareZ-003.gif
I would suggest a German Shepard, but of course you have negatives with this great dog breed.1- Hair...they shed a lot of hair.... it comes out in clumps. They also might not enjoy the climate here...more a cold weather dog. 2- They bite weeners as puppies3- Hip problems are a HUGE issue with this dog. Jack Russel terriers are great little bundles of energy, and also quite feisty themselves with other dogs...as well as the best rat and squirrel killers of all time. I tend to lean towards the american pitbull terrier simply because I am in the KNOW as to how people friendly they are...thus the ability to keep potential burglars at bay, while knowing they will not actually bite a child of person. IOW, the media has created a image that I disagree with obviously, but use to create space from the bad element. What they don't know is alright by me in the Philippines. :DDobermans make great watch dogs...short haired, and magnificent looking animals. Same with Rottweilers, however again...with these big powerful breeds you MUST be the alpha as well as all members of the family. Rottweilers, IMHO, make the best guard dogs. :565:

Singers
Posted
Posted
I would suggest a German Shepard, but of course you have negatives with this great dog breed.1- Hair...they shed a lot of hair.... it comes out in clumps. They also might not enjoy the climate here...more a cold weather dog. 2- They bite weeners as puppies3- Hip problems are a HUGE issue with this dog. Jack Russel terriers are great little bundles of energy, and also quite feisty themselves with other dogs...as well as the best rat and squirrel killers of all time. I tend to lean towards the american pitbull terrier simply because I am in the KNOW as to how people friendly they are...thus the ability to keep potential burglars at bay, while knowing they will not actually bite a child of person. IOW, the media has created a image that I disagree with obviously, but use to create space from the bad element. What they don't know is alright by me in the Philippines. :DDobermans make great watch dogs...short haired, and magnificent looking animals. Same with Rottweilers, however again...with these big powerful breeds you MUST be the alpha as well as all members of the family. Rottweilers, IMHO, make the best guard dogs. :cheers:
Excellent information Inspector -- many thanks.A friend had a Rottwiller -- he was most impressed by it -- I had it going to its bed, on my command, within minutes. He seemed slightly peeved :565: It was also great with his children and when he was away never left the children alone. Always "on Guard".As most of the PI extended family live in the BRGY their safety is paramount when choosing. In the final decision the availability of a good dog in PI will be the clincher and I am warming to the Pit breed. You have enlightened me. Thank you.What do you think of having one dog or a second for company?.UK Tom :cheersty: