Gma Signs Mandatory Helmet Law

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

GMA signs mandatory helmet law MANILA, Philippines - President Arroyo has signed the Mandatory Helmet Act of 2010 that requires all motorcycle drivers and their passengers to wear helmets at all times and imposes stiff penalties on violators. Republic Act 10054, authored by Sen. Ramon Revilla Jr., is aimed at protecting motorcycle drivers, back-riders as well as pedestrians from injuries and death in accidents. The law, however, exempts drivers of tricycles – a motorcycle with a side cab, which is a common mode of transport in the country – from wearing helmets."From narrow streets to major thoroughfares, motorcycles and scooters are a common sight every day and night. Wearing helmets will greatly reduce fatalities in road accidents and would also (foster) a sense of discipline in all motorcycle riders," he said. Revilla said it took a long while to see his measure enacted into law. There are an estimated 3.5 million motorcycles registered in the country."After more than two years of pushing this bill, our long wait is finally over," Revilla said. "The passage of this measure will not be fulfilled if not for the support of our motorcyclists and the motorcycle manufacturers and dealers who are aware of the danger of not wearing a helmet." He said studies have show that good helmets and their proper use are estimated to be 37 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries and 67 percent effective in preventing brain damage to motorcycle drivers and their passengers. Under the law, those who will be caught not wearing protective helmets face a minimum fine of P1,500 and a maximum penalty of P10,000. The law requires the Department of Trade and Industry to conduct mandatory tests on all locally manufactured and imported motorcycle helmets in the country. Manufacturers and importers of motorcycle helmets are also required to secure a Philippine Standard mark or an import commodity clearance before they can sell and distribute their products or pay a fine of P10,000 to P20,000 if they violate the provision.http://www.philstar....ubCategoryId=65

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Interesting :thumbsup:

Singers
Posted
Posted
Interesting :thumbsup:
An "interesting" revenue earner - me thinks.Improved driving standards should be THE PRIORITY with safety checks on "Public" transport a high second target.UK Tom23_11_60[2].gif

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
GMA signs mandatory helmet law MANILA, Philippines - President Arroyo has signed the Mandatory Helmet Act of 2010 that requires all motorcycle drivers and their passengers to wear helmets at all times and imposes stiff penalties on violators....aimed at protecting motorcycle drivers, back-riders as well as pedestrians from injuries and death in accidents.The law, however, exempts drivers of tricycles..."...Wearing helmets will greatly reduce fatalities in road accidents and would also (foster) a sense of discipline in all motorcycle riders,"......studies have show that good helmets and their proper use are estimated to be 37 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries and 67 percent effective in preventing brain damage...
I assume passengers on tricycles will be exempt... but cannot tell since the article references "drivers" specifically. I guess the expectation of protecting "pedestrians" is to be a hopeful byproduct of fostering "a sense of discipline in all motorcycle riders."I'm sure there will be complaints... expense, inconvenience, uncomfortable, etc., but the benefits of regulations aimed at improving public safety generally outweigh the objections to the regulation. Hopefully that will be the outcome of this legislation. Whether this law will be effectively enforced or not, I believe it is encouraging anytime legislative bodies seek to address any public health and safety concern.Tom in Texas

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
GMA signs mandatory helmet law MANILA, Philippines - President Arroyo has signed the Mandatory Helmet Act of 2010 that requires all motorcycle drivers and their passengers to wear helmets at all times and imposes stiff penalties on violators....aimed at protecting motorcycle drivers, back-riders as well as pedestrians from injuries and death in accidents.The law, however, exempts drivers of tricycles..."...Wearing helmets will greatly reduce fatalities in road accidents and would also (foster) a sense of discipline in all motorcycle riders,"......studies have show that good helmets and their proper use are estimated to be 37 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries and 67 percent effective in preventing brain damage...
I assume passengers on tricycles will be exempt... but cannot tell since the article references "drivers" specifically. I guess the expectation of protecting "pedestrians" is to be a hopeful byproduct of fostering "a sense of discipline in all motorcycle riders." I'm sure there will be complaints... expense, inconvenience, uncomfortable, etc., but the benefits of regulations aimed at improving public safety generally outweigh the objections to the regulation. Hopefully that will be the outcome of this legislation. Whether this law will be effectively enforced or not, I believe it is encouraging anytime legislative bodies seek to address any public health and safety concern.Tom in Texas
Well that has cleared that up for me. !!!NOW as clear as MUD.1%20%28103%29.gifThank you AttyUK Tom Edited by Singers

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
I assume passengers on tricycles will be exempt... but cannot tell since the article references "drivers" specifically. I guess the expectation of protecting "pedestrians" is to be a hopeful byproduct of fostering "a sense of discipline in all motorcycle riders."I'm sure there will be complaints... expense, inconvenience, uncomfortable, etc., but the benefits of regulations aimed at improving public safety generally outweigh the objections to the regulation. Hopefully that will be the outcome of this legislation. Whether this law will be effectively enforced or not, I believe it is encouraging anytime legislative bodies seek to address any public health and safety concern.Tom in Texas
Well that has cleared that up for me. !!!NOW as clear as MUD.1%20%28103%29.gifThank you AttyUK Tom
I had no expectations of clearing anything whatsoever up for you. bonk.gif I'm a lawyer..... not a magician.Tom in Texas

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Well that has cleared that up for me. !!!NOW as clear as MUD.1%20%28103%29.gifThank you AttyUK Tom
I had no expectations of clearing anything whatsoever up for you. bonk.gif I'm a lawyer..... not a magician.Tom in Texas
You disappoint me ....I thought Lawyers were magicians --- the way they can make clients money disappear !!! AND illusionists ..... One "sees" a Grey suited Ambulance Chaser and the reality is ....trickery??UK Tom SugarwareZ-011.gif Edited by Singers

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
You disappoint me ....I thought Lawyers were magicians --- the way they can make clients money disappear !!! AND illusionists ..... One "sees" a Grey suited Ambulance Chaser and the reality is ....trickery??UK Tom SugarwareZ-011.gif
On the other hand, you do not disappoint me at all. Rather, just as expected, your reply reflects a basis lack of knowledge. affe_ani0.gif"Ambulance Chasers" make money "appear" for their injured clients. "Ambulance Chasers" make money "disappear" from the bank accounts of the corporations and persons who have wrongfully injured their client... and then "re-appear" in the bank accounts of the injured client and (praise the Lord) the attorney also. 36_1_68[1].gifSo, no need for you to be disappointed. I did not want to have to tell you a carefully guarded professional secret, but lawyers really are magicians. 7522.gif565.gif Thats why we dance all the way to the bank.Tom in Texas

Singers
Posted
Posted
You disappoint me ....I thought Lawyers were magicians --- the way they can make clients money disappear !!! AND illusionists ..... One "sees" a Grey suited Ambulance Chaser and the reality is ....trickery??UK Tom SugarwareZ-011.gif
On the other hand, you do not disappoint me at all. Rather, just as expected, your reply reflects a basis lack of knowledge. affe_ani0.gif"Ambulance Chasers" make money "appear" for their injured clients. "Ambulance Chasers" make money "disappear" from the bank accounts of the corporations and persons who have wrongfully injured their client... and then "re-appear" in the bank accounts of the injured client and (praise the Lord) the attorney also. 36_1_68[1].gifSo, no need for you to be disappointed. I did not want to have to tell you a carefully guarded professional secret, but lawyers really are magicians. 7522.gif565.gif Thats why we dance all the way to the bank.Tom in Texas
WELL done,Tom from Texas....I thought your business went BUST?UK Tom SugarwareZ-011.gif

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
WELL done,Tom from Texas....I thought your business went BUST?UK Tom SugarwareZ-011.gif
I guess its a matter of perspective.th_thimage_265775.gif36_1_68[1].gif After making my living as a magician... sorry, I mean plaintiff's trial lawyer... for 34 years... when the credit crunch hit in 2007, rather than fund $1M+ per year case development cost out of my own pocket, and risk that money in the hope the economy would turn around so I could recoup that money plus fees... I elected to shut down my firm and retire 6 years earlier than planned.So, I guess "going BUST" versus "retiring RICH" would depend on your financial perspective. th_exactly.gifTom in Texas