Divided Between Manila And Cebu

Strange Dahlia
Posted
Posted

Alright guys - I know I'm new around here but I need serious advice. I got a ticket from Montreal to Manila and am boarding the plane on Oct. 10th.Believe me, I've done my homework and will probably settle in the Phils for a while. Now, some background about me and my dilemma ....I'm 23, self-employed (working in the marketing and self-help fields) and I make more than enough online every month to sustain myself on my journey to the Phils, with an occasional trip to neighboring countries. For a while I believed I'd move to Cebu - but now I'm really not so sure. You see, while I'm 100% positive Cebu is a nice place to live ... I'm scared it might be a tad too "passive" for me, whereas Manilla seems to have a younger and wilder lifestyle. I love the quiet and an opportunity to kick back and relax from time to time .... but most of all, I need action.For the past year I lived in Montreal where I attended Rave parties every week-end or so, went out with friends, etc.My biggest concern about living in Cebu would be to get bored extremely quickly, and having a hard time building rapport with the younger crowd over there due to the "province's" more limited English skills.It may seem that my choice has already been made in favor of Manila .... yet - Manila seems like a huge city .... I can live with that, I've spent 12 months in Montreal and loved it .... but I could jump on the Metro line and get wherever I wanted with ease. Not so in Manilla .... So I guess I'd have to choose my neighborhood extremely carefully ...I do expect prices in Manilla to be somewhat higher than they'd be in Cebu. I know that means letting go of my plans to take Capoeira lessons (only Maestro is in Cebu)And this is something I'm ready to live with.But do I have to?I'm definitely not the "target crowd" and most expats are probably 45 and older - but I'm sure you've seen enough of the Phils already to help me out on this.Please share any piece of advice or recommendation you may have, I will take every help I receive in consideration.

Strange Dahlia
Posted
Posted

Sorry, double posting.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Alright guys - I know I'm new around here but I need serious advice. I got a ticket from Montreal to Manila and am boarding the plane on Oct. 10th.Believe me, I've done my homework and will probably settle in the Phils for a while. Now, some background about me and my dilemma ....I'm 23, self-employed (working in the marketing and self-help fields) and I make more than enough online every month to sustain myself on my journey to the Phils, with an occasional trip to neighboring countries. For a while I believed I'd move to Cebu - but now I'm really not so sure. You see, while I'm 100% positive Cebu is a nice place to live ... I'm scared it might be a tad too "passive" for me, whereas Manilla seems to have a younger and wilder lifestyle. I love the quiet and an opportunity to kick back and relax from time to time .... but most of all, I need action.For the past year I lived in Montreal where I attended Rave parties every week-end or so, went out with friends, etc.My biggest concern about living in Cebu would be to get bored extremely quickly, and having a hard time building rapport with the younger crowd over there due to the "province's" more limited English skills.It may seem that my choice has already been made in favor of Manila .... yet - Manila seems like a huge city .... I can live with that, I've spent 12 months in Montreal and loved it .... but I could jump on the Metro line and get wherever I wanted with ease. Not so in Manilla .... So I guess I'd have to choose my neighborhood extremely carefully ...I do expect prices in Manilla to be somewhat higher than they'd be in Cebu. I know that means letting go of my plans to take Capoeira lessons (only Maestro is in Cebu)And this is something I'm ready to live with.But do I have to?I'm definitely not the "target crowd" and most expats are probably 45 and older - but I'm sure you've seen enough of the Phils already to help me out on this.Please share any piece of advice or recommendation you may have, I will take every help I receive in consideration.
HiNot sure what you mean by the province's limited English speaking skills,you are talking about going to Cebu city, second largest city in the Philippines aren't you?Maybe your best shot would be Angeles city, plenty of party there! SugarwareZ-004.gif Tom

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hi Strange Dahlia ....... just a little info for you ..... as far as speaking English any Filipino that has been to school can speak English and Tagalog .... both languages are required learning in the Philippines ....... of coarse if they haven been to school they many times can't ....... As far as Cebu goes as Tom said it is the 2nd largest city as they consider the Cebu Metro Area as being all part of Cebu city ....... you will find everything here you could want ...... if you look long and hard enough ........ except maybe good pizza ........ but who is to say what is good pizza .... SugarwareZ-047.gif ........ even restaurants that serve prime rib can be found if you know where to look ......... found one that sells all you can eat fairly decent prime rib on Thurs. ......... for approx 900p ....... expensive ... yea ..... but worth it if you are a big eater ........ you just can't take any home with you ......If you have specific questions ask a way ....... myself and others will try to answer you ........ just to many choices or wants and needs to list them all here ....... as this forum grows more info will become available ...... in the mean time just ask away ...... I will try and help you with all but the night-life (I'm taken ..... sorry Billie SugarwareZ-011.gif ) and don't drink but most other stuff is fair game ........

paul
Posted
Posted

Hiya Strange, don't knock us partying 42 year olds, until you have been out with us. The younger crowd may party a bit differently... but you can bet your a** you will not be disappointed if hanging out with an older crowd in cebu.However, if that is your wish, to hang wtih a younger crowd, they have "Disco's" (yeah, I know) and other partying bars in Cebu, not far from Fuente Osme

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Dahlia, I am not quite sure I follow you or not but from the little knowledge I have of Rave parties, they are usually associated with drugs and, well lets just leave it at that. I do not wish to tell you what to do but if drugs is what you have in mind, please understand that the Philippines has very strict drug laws which could end up meaning life in prison or a shorter time if you are lucky, and either way spending time in what has often been called hell by expats who have had to spend time in them. If you not Filipino then you are bound to stand out and even end up possibly being set up for something so that some greedy person can get a pay off. While I do not make a habit of the night life because I am happily married, I have been to Manila as well as Cebu and it does seem to get more wild in Luzon than in Cebu from what I have seen, but I have surely not seen everything. It would be my suggestion to think about Angeles City as I believe Boss Man suggested if you want wild all night parties but if drugs is what you are talking about, may I suggest that you try a different country to play it safe. Have fun.

Strange Dahlia
Posted
Posted

First, thanks to everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

Dahlia, I am not quite sure I follow you or not but from the little knowledge I have of Rave parties, they are usually associated with drugs and, well lets just leave it at that. I do not wish to tell you what to do but if drugs is what you have in mind, please understand that the Philippines has very strict drug laws which could end up meaning life in prison or a shorter time if you are lucky, and either way spending time in what has often been called hell by expats who have had to spend time in them. If you not Filipino then you are bound to stand out and even end up possibly being set up for something so that some greedy person can get a pay off. While I do not make a habit of the night life because I am happily married, I have been to Manila as well as Cebu and it does seem to get more wild in Luzon than in Cebu from what I have seen, but I have surely not seen everything. It would be my suggestion to think about Angeles City as I believe Boss Man suggested if you want wild all night parties but if drugs is what you are talking about, may I suggest that you try a different country to play it safe. Have fun.
Lee, I understand where you're coming from with your concerns. It is true that popular culture will most times associate rave parties with drugs - and I won't deny that a good deal of drugs can be consumed by some people in that context. Does everyone who attends use drugs? Definitely not, and I've been staying clear and away from the stuff. I get my kick just from the music, the freedom, the people, the open attitude and friendly setting ...Your comment about the nightlife being wilder in Luzon matches what I've collected from other sources, and that's why I have decided to give Manila (Makati to be more exact) a try.When it comes to Angeles, to me it seems to me that this place is more of a "tourist trap" than anything else, overly Americanized to cash in on tourism and more shady activities, whereas my objective is to discover and experience the real Philippines.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Makati is very nice and big city like. Kind of reminds me of NYC. There you can find almost anything to eat or do most hours of the night and the best shopping I have seen within the Philippines, as well as great prices on most things. I almost moved to Makati but since I am older and have already done my share on nightlife, Cebu seems to be the place for me and it is centrally located and just a quick plane trip away from most other places within the Philippines.

chimellie
Posted
Posted
Makati is very nice and big city like. Kind of reminds me of NYC. There you can find almost anything to eat or do most hours of the night and the best shopping I have seen within the Philippines, as well as great prices on most things. I almost moved to Makati but since I am older and have already done my share on nightlife, Cebu seems to be the place for me and it is centrally located and just a quick plane trip away from most other places within the Philippines.
MrLee, how long did you live in Makati ?Thanks

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
MrLee, how long did you live in Makati ?Thanks
Hi Chi, welcome to this forum. We usually go to Makati every other year and stay with a friend or in a hotel but we have never lived there.