Divided Between Manila And Cebu

chimellie
Posted
Posted
Hi Strange Dahlia ....... just a little info for you ..... as far as speaking English any Filipino that has been to school can speak English and Tagalog .... both languages are required learning in the Philippines ....... of coarse if they haven been to school they many times can't ....... As far as Cebu goes as Tom said it is the 2nd largest city as they consider the Cebu Metro Area as being all part of Cebu city ....... you will find everything here you could want ...... if you look long and hard enough ........ except maybe good pizza ........ but who is to say what is good pizza .... SugarwareZ-047.gif ........ even restaurants that serve prime rib can be found if you know where to look ......... found one that sells all you can eat fairly decent prime rib on Thurs. ......... for approx 900p ....... expensive ... yea ..... but worth it if you are a big eater ........ you just can't take any home with you ......If you have specific questions ask a way ....... myself and others will try to answer you ........ just to many choices or wants and needs to list them all here ....... as this forum grows more info will become available ...... in the mean time just ask away ...... I will try and help you with all but the night-life (I'm taken ..... sorry Billie SugarwareZ-011.gif ) and don't drink but most other stuff is fair game ........
Hi Mike....Can you please tell me what restaurant that serves prime rib for 900p ? And location too please....I am sick of eating soup. Thanks

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Mike....Can you please tell me what restaurant that serves prime rib for 900p ? And location too please....I am sick of eating soup. Thanks
Chi, the place that sells the prime rib is Don Mertos in the Casa Escario bed and breakfast on Juana Osmena street down the street a few block from Winland Towers and right down the street with Williams bar on the corner. The prime rib special is seasonal.

scianna54
Posted
Posted
First, thanks to everyone for your replies, much appreciated.
Dahlia, I am not quite sure I follow you or not but from the little knowledge I have of Rave parties, they are usually associated with drugs and, well lets just leave it at that. I do not wish to tell you what to do but if drugs is what you have in mind, please understand that the Philippines has very strict drug laws which could end up meaning life in prison or a shorter time if you are lucky, and either way spending time in what has often been called hell by expats who have had to spend time in them. If you not Filipino then you are bound to stand out and even end up possibly being set up for something so that some greedy person can get a pay off. While I do not make a habit of the night life because I am happily married, I have been to Manila as well as Cebu and it does seem to get more wild in Luzon than in Cebu from what I have seen, but I have surely not seen everything. It would be my suggestion to think about Angeles City as I believe Boss Man suggested if you want wild all night parties but if drugs is what you are talking about, may I suggest that you try a different country to play it safe. Have fun.
Lee, I understand where you're coming from with your concerns. It is true that popular culture will most times associate rave parties with drugs - and I won't deny that a good deal of drugs can be consumed by some people in that context. Does everyone who attends use drugs? Definitely not, and I've been staying clear and away from the stuff. I get my kick just from the music, the freedom, the people, the open attitude and friendly setting ...Your comment about the nightlife being wilder in Luzon matches what I've collected from other sources, and that's why I have decided to give Manila (Makati to be more exact) a try.When it comes to Angeles, to me it seems to me that this place is more of a "tourist trap" than anything else, overly Americanized to cash in on tourism and more shady activities, whereas my objective is to discover and experience the real Philippines.
Hello. My name is Chris. This is my first post here on this forum. I don't quite understand what the real Philippines has anything to do with rave parties.Maybe let us know what you are really looking for and we can help you.Thanks..

• 1 month later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Chi, the place that sells the prime rib is Don Mertos in the Casa Escario bed and breakfast on Juana Osmena street down the street a few block from Winland Towers and right down the street with Williams bar on the corner. The prime rib special is seasonal.
There is a Don Mertos in SM North wing too. I think they have the same special. I saw it advertised on a banner at one of the entrances.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
First, thanks to everyone for your replies, much appreciated. Your comment about the nightlife being wilder in Luzon matches what I've collected from other sources, and that's why I have decided to give Manila (Makati to be more exact) a try.When it comes to Angeles, to me it seems to me that this place is more of a "tourist trap" than anything else, overly Americanized to cash in on tourism and more shady activities, whereas my objective is to discover and experience the real Philippines.
If you want to see the real Philippines you won't find it in the most upscale and westernised area of it's biggest city.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Firstly the "Real Philippines" is heading out of the cities into Provinces.. and once you do that there are no discos nevermind raves.. The music tastes are very different in the Philippines you want raves head to the Netherlands or festivals in the UK. Otherwise your going to be disappointed. Manila like most Cities in the Philippines is struggling to keep an identity its full of American influence which creates some strange mix mashes of ideals and fashion. Mix that with the current Koreans and the fashion they have its all gone strange.. But to be honest i would goto Manila for a few weeks see how you get on and Cebu is only a hop flight away which is pretty cheap. If you dont like it you can always go back to Manila. Truth is though there is no easy answer on what is better than another place.. as each place has pros and cons. Aswell the fact there are different groups of people in each.Language wise i think Cebu wins hands down.. not only because of the number of people that speak English but the fact that most speak Cebuano and Tagalog something that isnt done in Manila. A pet hate of my wife.. Exams etc. are done in Tagalog even though its not the local tongue in Cebu.. But what bugs my wife is that people from Cebu speak Tagalog in Manila. But people from Manila in Cebu expect people to speak Tagalog instead of Cebuano..Whatever you decide grab a guide book from a book store and look for the places of interest as Cebu an Luzon have both got a lot of things to see that you may miss otherwise..Have fun!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Firstly the "Real Philippines" is heading out of the cities into Provinces.. and once you do that there are no discos nevermind raves..Have fun!
I went to a fiesta, way back in the middle of nowhere, and the loud music, party atmosphere, and fun times were as much fun as any disco or dance party I have ever been to . . but that does not happen every night.Ditto that 'have fun!'

• 4 weeks later...
Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Manila is ... well, Manila. It is part of the Philippines. Although they don't understand that in Manila that it is just part of the Philippines, it is no more representative of the Philippines other areas than Montreal is like Newfoundland. For a young guy that needs to party and wants somewhat more sophisticated companions to party with, Manila is probably a good choice. But getting to know the Philippines is not getting to know Manila.