Permanent Residency Without Philippine Partner

splashandsun
Posted
Posted

For all those contributors a token of appreciation! Thanks to you all....Apparently the topic is quite subordinate to surprising dynamics currently ongoing in the Philippines. Since this matter is not that urgent in our case we will closely observe any changes for the time to come, not to say the least, in our interest as well. We are aware that political constructs set out in national legislation just take time to adjust to match developments in the Philippine society and the demands finding the origin in the international community. We are also aware that a country like the Philippines have to maintain a balance in many aspects between the foreigners (resources, investments,etc) and the own local population, the indigenous people.Our next steps will probably concentrate on visiting more of this beautiful country, seeing more places, but also compare the Phillippines to other countries of the Pacific Rim.Have a nice daygerard

mike
Posted
Posted
Dear readersIt struck me that most issues concerning living in the Philippines as a permanent resident (expat) addressed only those cases whereby one of the partners held a Philippine Citizenship.The question to pop now is how does it work, if both partners are not Philippine citizens but find their country of origin within the European Community?How about they just want to retire there and do not want to set up a business, but e.g. just rent a place?We have been visiting only a few places during five weeks of holiday over Christmas 2008 and Christmas 2009. We have met some very very nice people in places wherever we stayed or travelled, without exception. In about a year from now also our youngest son will leave home for his studies abroad, so there are just the two of us left. We have lived a fair part of our lives in Europe and are keen to swap this area for a place in the Fast East, of which the Philippines are on top of the list of preferred countries. If possible and feasible the Phillippines could become our fifth country of residence...Looking forward to receiving your suggestions and referrences to verifiable sources (Acts, etc) I remainwith best regardsg
Suggest you look at the pra.gov.ph web for Philippines retirement authority.Now a days a lot cheaper to join especially if you have pension funds coming in.The potentially even better news is that the PRA is now answerable to the Department of Tourism . This means that a new perspective, treating retirees as investors who need to be looked after is on the cards.Once all the new political appointments are made to the the DOT and PRA following the recent elections it will be a good place to check in and view.Expect changes to be made over the next 12 months that will be very favourable in attracting new retirees.I am a an SRRV holder under the old scheme rules which are not as attractive as new scheme rules.Mike
That is good news Mike,I applied in London for my PR and the Vice Consul, PI Embassy, said it was realized the eXpat bringing his pension and spending while living in PI could be responsible for boosting the local economy AND providing much needed jobs for about 4 locals PER eXpat Retiree.... He was very keen to learn why I chose PI when Malay was on my doorstep in S'pore.Now it seems that attitude in PI Gov. is coming to light. Thankfully.UK Tom 23_11_60[2].gif
He was very keen to learn why I chose PI when Malay was on my doorstep in S'pore.I was asked the same Reason I gave did make them stop and pause. I told them "I am here for my wife, if she was Malay I be in Malaysia, I wish she was Malay as they have a far superior retirement scheme, I am not here for the Philippines." this was not rude just a very straightforward piece of feedback that retirees need a far bigger attraction to view the Philippines as being a preferred destination and relying on partners should not be the reason.My hope is that the the PI gov will evolve the PRA scheme so its is at least on par with what is offered elsewhere. The Philippines is not the only game in town, hence its reasons for being at the bottom of most ratings covering a broad range of topics need positive and constructive input for output to be meaningful.Mike
Mike,Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't MM2H require something like P3 million deposited in a bank or in property & what you get in return is only a 10 year multi entry visa? Your wife would not need to be Malay though. If correct, the SRRV here is far superior. If your wife is as you say , Filipina, then why did you not get a 13a resident visa not a retirement visa? As an aside, although Malaysia has 1st world infrastructure (well KL & PJ area at least), it has a 3rd world mentality still. I much prefer here. BTW I lived & worked there for 5 years. I do respect the fact that for the most part, it is one of the few counties where Muslim & other cultures, race & religion do co-exist in relative harmony.Uzi
When I arrived we were not at that time married so 13a was not appropriate.Being under 50 the old scheme rules required 75, 000$US as deposit at that time well in excess of 4million pesos with exchange rate over 50. Old scheme members are not allowed to migrate to new scheme rules.The malay deposit is for a period of time that you can then revert to buying two Freehold properties if you so wish. Here You can buy leasehold which will run out and if you use your PRA deposit you then pay 1.5% of that deposit anually as a fee.Here u get a max 3 year multi entry visa before costs of renewal against 10 year renewal one in Malaysiathe Malay scheme is better for the long term.The new rules coming into force on the PRA scheme is making it more attractive, it just had to get better!! There are lots more things to be done to bring it up to competitive speed.I have delayed migrating to the 13a visa whilst the new political appointments and policy directives under the DOT are decided.
Good news is that the recent meeting now under the DOT has had a very positive impact on the PRA and its members A university Don who is apolitical is drafting a policy paper that may better encapsulate the need to attract overseas retirees and effective policy to ensure the objective is met On the strength of that meeting alone I will be deferring any possible transfers to the 13a scheme.I cannot share anymore as the meeting is treated as closed door P & C. I can say that the DOT approach was refreshing and invigorating.