Homesick

RobertM
Posted
Posted

Looking for a bit of advice and opinions if I may guys,I got married to my beautiful Filipina not long ago and we are about to start on the process of bringing her home to the states.You guys that have moved your Filipina to the states should be able to throw some light on how she coped with being away from family and friends in a new land. Did any one have a difficult time with their wife or maybe better put did your wife get home sick?Can you advise on the best way to help her get used to a new life in a different country or did your wife adapt easily .How did she manage with little things like food,did she try to find the sorts of food that she normally eats or change more to a western diet?I am hoping for a smooth transition for her and would appreciate any good advice you guys may have.Robert

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Looking for a bit of advice and opinions if I may guys,I got married to my beautiful Filipina not long ago and we are about to start on the process of bringing her home to the states.You guys that have moved your Filipina to the states should be able to throw some light on how she coped with being away from family and friends in a new land. Did any one have a difficult time with their wife or maybe better put did your wife get home sick?Can you advise on the best way to help her get used to a new life in a different country or did your wife adapt easily .How did she manage with little things like food,did she try to find the sorts of food that she normally eats or change more to a western diet?I am hoping for a smooth transition for her and would appreciate any good advice you guys may have.Robert
Good topic Robert and perhaps one not covered here before.I too would be interested in what our members and their wives experiences are with relocating.:cheersty:

RobertM
Posted
Posted
Good topic Robert and perhaps one not covered here before.I too would be interested in what our members and their wives experiences are with relocating.:cheersty:
thank you boss,I am a bit concerned for her as she basically is a province girl with little city experience.She comes from a large family as most do here and hasn't been away from them before,how she will cope with that is i guess my biggest concern.Its not like going on a 2 week vacation and retuning to the safety of our own familiar surrounds so i expect there could be some difficult times so thats why i am asking the forum members to share their stories.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
thank you boss,I am a bit concerned for her as she basically is a province girl with little city experience.She comes from a large family as most do here and hasn't been away from them before,how she will cope with that is i guess my biggest concern.Its not like going on a 2 week vacation and retuning to the safety of our own familiar surrounds so i expect there could be some difficult times so thats why i am asking the forum members to share their stories.
Hi Robert,My wife was not home-sick at all, initially, and fell into the UK domestic life quickly.Now after 4 years here, perhaps for the last year she has "Missed" home at Fiesta time and family gatherings.We have been back to PI each year for vacation which also helps with combatting homesickness if any.If the (your) PI family have a telephone you can set up a low call charge system from US. If not then you might consider installing a "house 'phone" in PI and paying the bill.Do they have a computer? or is there a 'Net Cafe nearby?. Instruct them how to use if there is one. Consider buying a "Home computer" for the PI family. Depending on your circumstances.Facebook is a great way for the "Estranged" & home-sick?? Filipina to keep up-to-date with what is happening back in PI.For your wife to be-friend Pinoy, if any, in your community is a TWO EDGED sword... IMO is not the best solution to homesickness !?. My wife works and 10 of the staff are Pinoy so that helped her assimilate.Her cousin in Germany married with a daughter to a German had a very BAD experience with the Pinoy community there!Just a few pointers for you to consider??And congratulations and best of luck 2 U2 SugarwareZ-225.gif UK Tom Edited by Singers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hello Robert and welcome back. :th_thsmilies-29057:I found the best way to deal with this is to make sure she will have other happily married Filipina friends to talk to, so find out if she knows others in the US or has family members in the US and if not then try to look up the Filipino community or Filipino restaurants in your area and then take her to Filipino events and eat out at the restaurant and see if you both can find other couple like yourselves to go out with and wives that she can talk to on the phone. Be careful that they are happily married because otherwise unhappily married wives can cause problems for you both. When my wife first came to Florida with me, I arranged a good long distance service for her to call her friends and former coworkers who had phones back then (over 16 years ago before cell phones were popular in the Philippines) and I also promised to bring her back to the Philippines yearly if possible or at least every three years if not possible every year, and we have been lucky enough to be able to do it yearly. Later on when cell phones became readily available in the Philippines, we sent money for her trusted niece to buy one so my wife could call her and keep up to date with what was happening in the family and so that our niece could contact us once we also got a phone and put it on roaming here in the states.  Nowadays with computers and so many Internet cafés in the Philippines and cell phones all over the place, it would be much easier to keep in touch and stay in touch with family if you set up time schedules. Another thing you can do is to have her put her sim card on roam before she leaves or buy a roaming Smart sim card on ebay and put it in a quad band unlocked phone in the US and that way her family can text her and she can answer on chikka.com or they both can just text back and forth on chikka.com and you can help her family with communications costs, to keep your wife happy. Many ways to keep in touch nowadays and that will keep her from getting lonely IMO.Hope some of that helps.  Feel free to ask if you are not sure how to set these things up and members can help. 

mikejwoodnz
Posted
Posted
Rice and Lechon is the answer. Buy a rice cooker, a 25kg bag of sticky rice and one of Jasmine rice and buy plenty of pork roasts. Put her in charge of the rice and yourself in charge of roasting the pork and then you will both be happy thumbs-up-smile.gif . ps - let her buy and eat as many 2 minute noodles as she likes (pansit) SugarwareZ-047.gif

• 4 months later...
RobertM
Posted
Posted
Rice and Lechon is the answer. Buy a rice cooker, a 25kg bag of sticky rice and one of Jasmine rice and buy plenty of pork roasts. Put her in charge of the rice and yourself in charge of roasting the pork and then you will both be happy thumbs-up-smile.gif . ps - let her buy and eat as many 2 minute noodles as she likes (pansit) SugarwareZ-047.gif
Good advice there Mike,i would never had thought i would be eating so much rice myself but its funny how you get used to it.laugh.gif

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Due to the hi-tech stuff that is now available, a PC, Magic Jack and Skype is all you need for your wife to stay in touch with her family in the Philippines when ever she wants and it's mostly free or inexpensive as long as her family has the same setup in the Philippines! Now it's the other way around for my wife, because her immediate family is now living in the U.S. and we are now permanently retired in the Philippines! Her family and ourselves have the same PC setup with Magic Jack and Skype! Works great and it's all free PC to PC calling and with a web cam too using Skype! Try it! It will make your wife a lot less lonely!

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

A few years ago Filipinos were still using Friendster to stay in touch. Now they've got Facebook and I've seen my wife's "social life" sky rocket. She's back in touch with everyone she's ever known and the gossip I get fed, while sometimes repetitive, is pretty good stuff. Funny thing is, even while back in the Philippines, most of their friends might be scattered around the globe, working in Saudi, HK, Canada, UK, and such. The thing about the Philippines that will be hardest to replace is that women are used to having everyone else care for their kids (IMExperience). God, it's annoying that people from such a poor country expect to live like royalty and complain because they have no one to nanny for them! lol... I hate that. My wife complains constantly about taking care of our two kids by herself, and while I sympathize, I'm like, "What the hell is knew? People have been raising their own kids for thousands of years. YOU'RE NOT UNIQUE!!"So, for us, going back to the Philippines will be great because you can almost forget you have kids at times. There are so many people who'll nanny for you, you can finally have time to be yourself again. The hardest part of that, is remembering to still be a parent.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
Hello Robert. When I came to the states over 16 years ago there was homesick because I was in a strange place with people who did not look at all like Filipinos so my husband insisted that I call friends where I used to work in CDO and that helped a lot. He also made sure to bring me to places where other Filipinos hung out. In todays word no one should get too homesick with roaming phones, chikka and computers. Foods were a bit of a problem back then until my husband bought me a rice cooker and brought me to a chicken and rice place and some Chinese restaurants and then it was smooth sailing from that point on.Also Robert you are always welcome to pm us with your phone number when she gets to the states and we can call her and I can talk to her and she will always be welcome to call me if she has questions or just feels lonely.