Riding A Jeepney

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those who have not experienced riding in a Filipino Jeepney, this you tube shouldget you started with the basic etiquette and customs.  Remember now, don't forget tosay Bayag (pronounced by-yag) when you ready to pay he, he.Have a good one guys -- Jake

Edited by Mr. Lee
repair link

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
For those who have not experienced riding in a Filipino Jeepney, the above link shouldget you started with the basic etiquette and customs.  Remember now, don't forget tosay Bayad (pronounced by-yad) when you ready to pay he, he.Have a good one guys -- Jake
Very cute Jake and the part about checking for your wallet and cell phone is right on. Pick pockets love to ride on jeepneys to make a living from what I have been told. No one has ever tried to pick my pockets on a jeepney but they once tried on a bus until I turned around and stared them in the eye and then they curled up into a little ball. lol

Singers
Posted
Posted
For those who have not experienced riding in a Filipino Jeepney, the above link shouldget you started with the basic etiquette and customs. Remember now, don't forget tosay Bayad (pronounced by-yad) when you ready to pay he, he.Have a good one guys -- Jake
Very cute Jake and the part about checking for your wallet and cell phone is right on. Pick pockets love to ride on jeepneys to make a living from what I have been told. No one has ever tried to pick my pockets on a jeepney but they once tried on a bus until I turned around and stared them in the eye and then they curled up into a little ball. lol
Lee,Tex was robbed by 2 knife wielding scum on a Jeepney in Manila. The jumped off with her Cell and wallet AND were immediately followed by a "More dangerous looking guy" who joined them. Their "back-up" IMOIMO you were lucky their "back-up" might have got your back UP had you become prysical."He got my back up???) = he annoyed me in UK parlance" but it may be a Universal phrase??. My meaning is a knife in the back - though."Be careful out there" (Hill St. Blues...) :lol: UK Tom

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
For those who have not experienced riding in a Filipino Jeepney, the above link shouldget you started with the basic etiquette and customs. Remember now, don't forget tosay Bayad (pronounced by-yad) when you ready to pay he, he.Have a good one guys -- Jake
Lee,Tex was robbed by 2 knife wielding scum on a Jeepney in Manila. The jumped off with her Cell and wallet AND were immediately followed by a "More dangerous looking guy" who joined them. Their "back-up" IMOIMO you were lucky their "back-up" might have got your back UP had you become prysical."He got my back up???) = he annoyed me in UK parlance" but it may be a Universal phrase??. My meaning is a knife in the back - though."Be careful out there" (Hill St. Blues...) :lol: UK Tom
Tom you are correct, when it comes to robbers and maybe even pick pockets, but it has been my experiences in life that most pick pockets usually do so without wishing to use force, but should they be put in a position of resistance, then if they had a backup and you resist to the point of endangering them, then it might get nasty. From all I have read, most criminals in the Philippines work in groups, so on the jeepneys or with street robbers for instance, there will almost always be a second or third guy who has not only a knife but possibly a gun, and who does not get involved because a robbery with a gun can get serious jail time, so unless the robbery goes bad, the second guy will just sit or stand around quietly, and then if things go bad, the simple robbery may turn into murder. So all, it is usually better to not carry a lot of valuables and to just give it up should it ever come to that. No personal items are worth your life IMO.

Singers
Posted
Posted
Tom you are correct, when it comes to robbers and maybe even pick pockets, but it has been my experiences in life that most pick pockets usually do so without wishing to use force, but should they be put in a position of resistance, then if they had a backup and you resist to the point of endangering them, then it might get nasty. From all I have read, most criminals in the Philippines work in groups, so on the jeepneys or with street robbers for instance, there will almost always be a second or third guy who has not only a knife but possibly a gun, and who does not get involved because a robbery with a gun can get serious jail time, so unless the robbery goes bad, the second guy will just sit or stand around quietly, and then if things go bad, the simple robbery may turn into murder. So all, it is usually better to not carry a lot of valuables and to just give it up should it ever come to that. No personal items are worth your life IMO.
Mr Lee,Excellent Life Lesson IME and good advice for anyone traveling away from home be it only to the Diner. Give them your Lucre not your Life!UK Tom

Jake
Posted
Posted
For those who have not experienced riding in a Filipino Jeepney, this you tube shouldget you started with the basic etiquette and customs. Remember now, don't forget tosay Bayag (pronounced by-yag) when you ready to pay he, he.Have a good one guys -- Jake
I was hoping that some members would catch my curve ball regarding which is correct --bayad or bayag? I mentioned this because Judy played a nasty joke on me when she told me to say bayag instead (which means balls as in testicles). Can you imagine the look the jeepney driver gave me?I get no respect sometimes he, he -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I haven't ridden in a jeepney in the past 10 years! I hardly go out at night let alone drive at night unless it's in a bus or a rented van with a personal driver! It just seems that all the bad things that occur is usually at night and some times during the day in secluded areas where no law enforcement is present! So be observant of the people around you, learn the techniques of judging people's body language out in public or when driving out on any road and know the area! When I was in the military ages ago, these techniques were taught to all military personnel by the O.S.I., F.B.I. or C.I.A. in countries where crime and or terrorism is a common occurrence! Learning and knowing of these techniques may save your life one of these days! Here's a few body language signs: http://1to101.com/Body_LanguageBut I'm sure if anyone is interested, the internet is where to look! So, always be safe, make your own rules to live by that you think may help you to avoid being robbed or killed!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah, Jake I noticed the misspelling! Have Judy give you a good swift kick in your BAYAG so you'll remember to ask her to correct your Tagalog spelling next time!SugarwareZ-011.gif:lol:

Edited by Pinoy Art

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I haven't ridden in a jeepney in the past 10 years! I hardly go out at night let alone drive at night unless it's in a bus or a rented van with a personal driver! It just seems that all the bad things that occur is usually at night and some times during the day in secluded areas where no law enforcement is present! So be observant of the people around you, learn the techniques of judging people's body language out in public or when driving out on any road and know the area! When I was in the military ages ago, these techniques were taught to all military personnel by the O.S.I., F.B.I. or C.I.A. in countries where crime and or terrorism is a common occurrence! Learning and knowing of these techniques may save your life one of these days! Here's a few body language signs: http://1to101.com/Body_LanguageBut I'm sure if anyone is interested, the internet is where to look! So, always be safe, make your own rules to live by that you think may help you to avoid being robbed or killed!
Excellent advice Art and I would just toss in to learn as much of the language as possible so that we know what is going on around us. One time when I was with my wife and one of her friends walking at the Taoist Temple in Cebu, a guy behind us basically told the girls to watch out for us Kanos because we were all bad and we would just use them and toss them away. The look on his face when I turned and gave him a dirty look was worth a bunch to me and I did not understand every word but understand enough to know he was talking bad about me and assuming the worst about the ladies I was with. 

Jake
Posted
Posted
Very interesting education on body language. I especially like the lower body language signs he, he.Maybe now is the time you could further educate us in body language that is unique to the Filipino.For example, two fingers tapping the forearm means what?Another curve ball -- Jake