Home Invasion That Just Happened To Us

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
One good thing comes out of all this,all the things I taught Lee about self defense have paid off :o The only thing he forgot to do is the bayag trick,two twists to the left,hard twist to the right and the nut case should not be moving much more.Glad you guys are OK :)
I am ashamed to say this but I did try and could not find any on him while I had him down on his face. I thought if I grabbed him by his nuts then he would give in but they just were not there, not sure why but it sort of surprised me so I continued on in some other places. Nila and I are hurting but I can assure you that when he wakes up in the mental hospital tomorrow morning, he is going to know he had a run in with me and that is about all I need to say. Thank you all for the kind words and I can tell you that it is much harder to use none deadly force on a nut case that does not seem to feel any pain, than it is to use any form of deadly force, but with deadly force always comes problems even when justified, so unless an invader has a knife or a gun, best to just beat him up a little here in the states but in the Philippines I am not sure what might be best and that is why we live in a condo there and that is why we may sell our house here and get a condo too, and now we will have to see if he decides to come back for another round once he gets out of the mental institution. Next time he may not be so lucky if he does because now it is all documented. I just hope he gets the medicine he needs and he comes back and apologizes, that would be a happy ending for all of us.

Jake
Posted
Posted
One good thing comes out of all this,all the things I taught Lee about self defense have paid off :o The only thing he forgot to do is the bayag trick,two twists to the left,hard twist to the right and the nut case should not be moving much more.Glad you guys are OK :)
I am ashamed to say this but I did try and could not find any on him while I had him down on his face. I thought if I grabbed him by his nuts then he would give in but they just were not there, not sure why but it sort of surprised me so I continued on in some other places. Nila and I are hurting but I can assure you that when he wakes up in the mental hospital tomorrow morning, he is going to know he had a run in with me and that is about all I need to say. Thank you all for the kind words and I can tell you that it is much harder to use none deadly force on a nut case that does not seem to feel any pain, than it is to use any form of deadly force, but with deadly force always comes problems even when justified, so unless an invader has a knife or a gun, best to just beat him up a little here in the states but in the Philippines I am not sure what might be best and that is why we live in a condo there and that is why we may sell our house here and get a condo too, and now we will have to see if he decides to come back for another round once he gets out of the mental institution. Next time he may not be so lucky if he does because now it is all documented. I just hope he gets the medicine he needs and he comes back and apologizes, that would be a happy ending for all of us.
The reason why you couldn"t find any bayag on him was because they receded back into the bodyfor fear of extreme torture administered by you.  And from what you have told, your wife Nila stood her ground protecting you, your home became secondary.  You go girl!This brings me to an idea about purchasing some non lethal weapons such as a nice wooden bat or axe handle (like Mik suggested) or perhaps a pepper spray home defense kit.  They come in various sizes and shape and prices are reasonable from Amazon.  Does anyone have any experience buying or using pepper spray in the Philippines?  Hopefully they are legal to purchase/use without all the red tape.Respectfully -- Jake

char
Posted
Posted

Dad, I am so glad you and mom are ok. Nobody messes up with Dad. Our prayers are with you dad and mom. TC!

char
Posted
Posted
I'm glad that you and Nila ok! I had no doubt that you would be able to handle yourself in a situation like this.
oo love. like my gwapo bana to be. 

mikejwoodnz
Posted
Posted

OK - BUT I think you were maybe too kind - this time you won - why make it a competition for your life ?

brock
Posted
Posted

What if he had overpowered you....Think I would have shot him, at least in the legs.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
OK - BUT I think you were maybe too kind - this time you won - why make it a competition for your life ?
Mike you may be correct but something inside told me not to kill the guy and I have no idea why except that I am pretty self confident and have been in many fights in my life and no weapon equals no deadly force to me. I do not recommend it for anyone who does not know how to handle themselves but had I killed him and then found out later on that he was a neighbor and off his meds, then I might not have been able to live with myself. Anyone who has never taken a human life face to face might not understand why it should be the last course of action and when all else fails.
What if he had overpowered you....Think I would have shot him, at least in the legs.
Had it ended up where I could not have controlled him, then I would have used my gun which was then in my back pocket because I never showed it to him and never took it out because I felt that I did not need it, and had I used my gun then it would have only been with the intent to kill. IMO a weapon is only pulled out when my life is definitely in danger and that would then mean shoot to kill, so had he over powered me, then he would be dead. People with any type of training should always listen to their inner feelings and while this guy was stronger than I anticipated and did not feel pain, he still lost the fight and I am only sorry Nila had to get involved because she knows I have a bad back and was concerned my back would pop out and then the guy would pummel me, but when adrenaline is flowing, I would have never felt it pop out, but she did not know that.  Again thank you all for your concern and please take what happened to us and learn from it and that was why I posted it, not to get any sympathy and just so that others know it could also happen to them. So often we go through life thinking that things only happen to the other person and I actually believed that we live in a good neighborhood but I never expected a neighbor to attack me and my wife. Danger often lurks right within reach of our homes and we may never know it until it happens, so everyone please be careful and stay safe. 

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
post-682-12759244785043_thumb.jpgpost-682-12759245277102_thumb.jpg post-682-12759274768089_thumb.jpgWe live in a gated subdivision and we live right next to our gate entrance guard house! We own our home, it's small, but an 800 lb sumo wrestler won't be able to knock down our windows or doors if he tried, because all of our windows and doors all have 5/8" wrought iron grills with double meshed aluminum screens, steel door frames with double dead bolt locks! Yes, we sleep good at night and or anytime of the day! Even our garage is enclosed all around with wrought iron grills and sliding 1/4" glass windows!We've lived in the Philippines a total of 24 years and 10 of those years living in our present home.This is our way of keeping our home intruder proof giving us peace of mind. Some may think our way is over kill, but being safe is better than being sorry of an unexpected invasion of one's home and privacy where a loved one may be injured or possibly killed! So, each to their own in figuring out a way to be safe here in the Philippines or any other country one may be living in or just visiting! Crime knows no boundaries, it happens everywhere! Edited by Pinoy Art

Mik
Posted
Posted

Lee, you did the right thing showing restraint with your firearm. Your years of law enforcement experience no doubt guided your instincts in the right way. Another person would likely have panicked and blasted away. .

Steve
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear that both of you are OK!