Christmas Dinner

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Speaking of culture,is there any such think as a traditional Christmas dinner in the Philippines? :23_11_59[1]:

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Yes but it's late on Christmas Eve.There are traditional foods but not turkey and stuff. Coconut rice steamed in banana leaves is a favourite with my family.It's usual to have open house - the food is cooked and put on the table and those that come set about it.On Christmas day we go to the beach for a good karioke and beer.

Hoz
Posted
Posted

We made Turkey Relleno* one year here in the US. It was well received but there was way to much leftovers for the amt of work involved. * Relleno is usually made from chicken or Bangus. They are skinned and deboned, then the meat is chopped and sausage, garlic, onion, hard boiled eggs, olives and herbs, are added. The skin is then filled with the mixture and baked. What looks like a regular baked chicken or fish turns into quite a surprise at carving time!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Yes but it's late on Christmas Eve.There are traditional foods but not turkey and stuff. Coconut rice steamed in banana leaves is a favourite with my family.It's usual to have open house - the food is cooked and put on the table and those that come set about it.On Christmas day we go to the beach for a good karioke and beer.
My type of ChristmasEasy, fun, food no matter what it is and plenty of beer, I'm not a traditional type of Christmas person.I can remember with my first wife (Aussie) and my family a stink over Christmas dinner, we used to take turns of hosting the dinner between all family members each year, one year my wife and I decided that we were having a cold meat and salad dinner.Needless to say we went our own way and the rest had their hot dinner together.Ah the joy of Christmas :23_11_59[1]:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
We made Turkey Relleno* one year here in the US. It was well received but there was way to much leftovers for the amt of work involved. * Relleno is usually made from chicken or Bangus. They are skinned and deboned, then the meat is chopped and sausage, garlic, onion, hard boiled eggs, olives and herbs, are added. The skin is then filled with the mixture and baked. What looks like a regular baked chicken or fish turns into quite a surprise at carving time!
Sounds good to me,plenty of flavor and a bit different :23_11_59[1]:

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Sounds good but I know from experience you can't debone a bangus. Those things are made of bones. Tasty though.

Steve
Posted
Posted
Speaking of culture,is there any such think as a traditional Christmas dinner in the Philippines? :23_11_59[1]:
Hi spoke with my Asawa and this is what she replied withChristmas is the longest and most celebrated holiday in the Philippines. On December 16, the festivities start with a daily pre-dawn Mass, called SIMBANG GABI or MISAS DE AGUINALDO (Gift Masses), and culminate in the MISA THE GALLO on Christmas eve. On Christmas Eve family members are gathered together to partake a sumptous meal at twelve midnight called the NOCHE BUENA this is right after the family has attended the mass called the MISA DE GALLO. Noche Buena is also an opportunity where family can get together, eat and talk..Also a time opening the gifts and gift giving and welcoming friends who are less fortunate to join and celebrate Christmas .. This Noche Buena will last until 4 or 5 in the morning..During the day family are again going to attend the mass. .Others would take this time to have a family reunions for the extended family members.

• 3 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Speaking of culture,is there any such think as a traditional Christmas dinner in the Philippines? :th_thsmilies-29057:
Hi spoke with my Asawa and this is what she replied withChristmas is the longest and most celebrated holiday in the Philippines. On December 16, the festivities start with a daily pre-dawn Mass, called SIMBANG GABI or MISAS DE AGUINALDO (Gift Masses), and culminate in the MISA THE GALLO on Christmas eve. On Christmas Eve family members are gathered together to partake a sumptous meal at twelve midnight called the NOCHE BUENA this is right after the family has attended the mass called the MISA DE GALLO. Noche Buena is also an opportunity where family can get together, eat and talk..Also a time opening the gifts and gift giving and welcoming friends who are less fortunate to join and celebrate Christmas .. This Noche Buena will last until 4 or 5 in the morning..During the day family are again going to attend the mass. .Others would take this time to have a family reunions for the extended family members.
Wow, plenty to do that day.What about things like Turkeys,Ham on the bone, are they available to buy easily.This is the sort of Traditional Christmas dinner fare for Australia. :AddEmoticons04230:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not sure about ham on the bone ...... seen canned ham ..... turkey is available but rather expensive and then you need an oven to cook it in mine is only large enough to gook a 10 pounder ...... maybe ...... It starts at 12:00am ...... well afraid they will start with out me ...... I'll be fast asleeeeeeep ....... New Years is something else as far as food goes ...... already have my Black-eyed Peas ready to soak and cook with some pork .... haven't seen hog jowls yet but I'm sure I can find it ...... cabbage is easy to find and did find some fine grained corn meal but forgot where ...... but still have time to find it again ...... now here's the rub .... Julie also has favorites that she cooks for New Years ....ham some salad she also mentioned spaghetti SugarwareZ-047.gif ....... and of coarse the 12 fruits on the table ...... so as I see it it is gonna be just one big long feast day :th_thsmilies-29057: ..... hahahahaha ........wow .... I may have to get 5/6 from the Boombay ........ SugarwareZ-004.gif

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
It starts at 12:00am ...... well afraid they will start with out me ...... I'll be fast asleeeeeeep ....... Are you sure? Have you heard the Christmas Eve and New Years fireworks yet? :th_thsmilies-29057: ....... and of coarse the 12 fruits on the table ...... You have room in your place for that many Bayots?I'm not sure about hog jowels but I am sure some type of suitable pork will be available. We always had salt pork. So good fried. Just the part you don't put in the beans. You looking for the corn meal to make cornbread?