Laser Surgery For Eyes

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Hi, anyone got info on a good hospital that can do laser eye surgery and what is the approximate cost? any relevant info appreciated. Thanks

Travis
Posted
Posted
Hi, anyone got info on a good hospital that can do laser eye surgery and what is the approximate cost? any relevant info appreciated. Thanks
Tom in Texas made a post here http://philippines-expats.com/index.php?showtopic=4891&view=findpost&p=22579 & it lists an eye doctor so if someone here cannot steer you in the right direction then maybe he can steer you to the right person

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Ok, thanks. Good info on hospitals.....anyone know the cost of lasik eye surgery at any of these hospitals....thanks

Mr Tropic
Posted
Posted

I had laser surgery at Chong Hue Hospital three years ago for correction of far sighted (did'nt want to use reading glasses any more). Dr. Go assured me no problem he could correct BOTH eyes so I could see far and near (I had 22/22 vision) before the surgery. I had heard that you can only have one eye done to correct for reading but he said they had the NEWEST STATE OF THE ART Laser so I went for it. 50,000.00 plus meds and I lost my 22/22 for 9 months and I could still not see close up to read. Did a second surgery to try and fix it and still the same problem and more money. After about 1 year my 22/22 returned but not the same still blurry and I still need reading glasses.Now I talked to several older people like me in the waiting room that were having problems and did some research and the truth is older people have allot of problems with laser I was 57 at the time. Even my Mom in Hawaii had problems with Laser there when she was old.Now my son had Dr. Go do his eyes for near sighted (he was 20) and no problem.Soooooooo my take on Laser is if you older don't do it unless your correcting for glaucoma or some other easy to fix problem then O.K. Remember if you diabetic forget it! You can lose your sight.I guess it is hard to fool around with mother nature and old age is a factor. Best of LuckMr. Tropic

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I had laser surgery at Chong Hue Hospital three years ago for correction of far sighted (did'nt want to use reading glasses any more). Dr. Go assured me no problem he could correct BOTH eyes so I could see far and near (I had 22/22 vision) before the surgery. I had heard that you can only have one eye done to correct for reading but he said they had the NEWEST STATE OF THE ART Laser so I went for it. 50,000.00 plus meds and I lost my 22/22 for 9 months and I could still not see close up to read. Did a second surgery to try and fix it and still the same problem and more money. After about 1 year my 22/22 returned but not the same still blurry and I still need reading glasses.Now I talked to several older people like me in the waiting room that were having problems and did some research and the truth is older people have allot of problems with laser I was 57 at the time. Even my Mom in Hawaii had problems with Laser there when she was old.Now my son had Dr. Go do his eyes for near sighted (he was 20) and no problem.Soooooooo my take on Laser is if you older don't do it unless your correcting for glaucoma or some other easy to fix problem then O.K. Remember if you diabetic forget it! You can lose your sight.I guess it is hard to fool around with mother nature and old age is a factor. Best of LuckMr. Tropic
Very good point about diabetic not having laser surgery, my friend Ham (God rest his soul) who was the same age as me, went in to have laser surgery in the US and the doctor told him it was a risk but he did not listen, and to make matters worse, the doctor did both his eyes at once and it blinded him to where all he could see was some light and shadows, so he lived out his last years blind. Ham died about 6 years ago at the age of 56 because he had lost his will to live and just wasted away until he passed. If any of you are diabetic or even borderline diabetic, please DO NOT consider laser surgery, and if you are going to gamble, then IMHO gamble with just one of your eyes and not both. 

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Hmmm....thanks. Is a slight concern as I'm 54 in november and will be in Cebu then. Was considering having it done because just hate wearing glasses. not sure what to do now.

Travis
Posted
Posted
Hmmm....thanks. Is a slight concern as I'm 54 in november and will be in Cebu then. Was considering having it done because just hate wearing glasses. not sure what to do now.
if it were me then I would just play it safe & wear the glasses. some people become vain & think glasses show their age but I wear mine proudly & it also keeps the dust out of my eye here & automatically changes to sunglasses when I go out so I do not need to carry those around also & the sun here is very strong so it is safer to wear sunglasses IMO (OK Lee so I added IMO) hehehe

Steve
Posted
Posted
If any of you are diabetic or even borderline diabetic, please DO NOT consider laser surgery, and if you are going to gamble, then IMHO gamble with just one of your eyes and not both. 
Is this just for Lasik or for glaucoma as well?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
If any of you are diabetic or even borderline diabetic, please DO NOT consider laser surgery, and if you are going to gamble, then IMHO gamble with just one of your eyes and not both. 
I am not a doctor, so I guess it might be best to consult one before any eye surgery. I am not familiar with what is done for glaucoma other than medication. The eye surgery my friend had was to improve his eyesight so I guess I should have said Lasik type surgery because I have been told that to remove cataracts that it would be OK, but IMO everyone should consult their own physicians to make sure they are candidates for any type of surgery before they have that surgery.  Simple things doctors often forget to tell us unless we ask, is to stop all vitamins, aspirins, some medications and fish oil before surgeries but what about people whose life depends on some of those items,  so I always give my doctors a list of everything I take before any operation and discuss my conditions with him before I have any surgery, and that would include Lasik or laser surgery.I feel it is best to know the risks ahead of time and I would be one of those who would rather wear glasses than have eye surgery but glaucoma is another issue and I believe must be dealt with if at all possible so maybe best to ask your doctor to be sure.

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
There is not surgical intervention for glaucoma... just medication to reduce the pressure in the eyeball.Personally... IMO - avoid any medical procedure of any kind unless you have a condition that you cannot live a reasonable lifestyle with... or the condition is going to substantially deteriorate without prompt intervention. About 25% of the potential medical malpractice cases I am contacted on arising from surgical procedures involve elective procedures that could have been avoided altogether.Tom in Texas