Laser Surgery For Eyes

softail
Posted
Posted (edited)
I had laser surgery at Chong Hue Hospital three years ago for correction of far sighted (did'nt want to use reading glasses any more). Dr. Go assured me no problem he could correct BOTH eyes so I could see far and near (I had 22/22 vision) before the surgery. I had heard that you can only have one eye done to correct for reading but he said they had the NEWEST STATE OF THE ART Laser so I went for it. 50,000.00 plus meds and I lost my 22/22 for 9 months and I could still not see close up to read. Did a second surgery to try and fix it and still the same problem and more money. After about 1 year my 22/22 returned but not the same still blurry and I still need reading glasses.Now I talked to several older people like me in the waiting room that were having problems and did some research and the truth is older people have allot of problems with laser I was 57 at the time. Even my Mom in Hawaii had problems with Laser there when she was old.Now my son had Dr. Go do his eyes for near sighted (he was 20) and no problem.Soooooooo my take on Laser is if you older don't do it unless your correcting for glaucoma or some other easy to fix problem then O.K. Remember if you diabetic forget it! You can lose your sight.I guess it is hard to fool around with mother nature and old age is a factor. Best of LuckMr. Tropic
Three or four years ago I decided I was tired of the reading glasses and I looked into laser surgery,  I was advised by the Dr that they can do nothing helpfull for far sighted people and that I wasn't a candidate for laser surgery.  Now near sighted wasn't a problem.  Still using my reading glasses and was so glad the Dr was honest with me.  I'm not in the medical profession simply passing on what the good Dr told me.Doug and Sally  Edited by Mr. Lee
repair quote box

Mr Tropic
Posted
Posted

I just want to add to this that you can consult your or a Dr. in regards to eye surgery or any other surgery or medical condition BUT, I am of the opinion that the responsibility is yours to find out through other means of information to make a decision that you can live with. With out pointing fingers I think it is fair to say that money is a motivating factor for the medical community like any profession. I feel I have found that out personally. Just do your research and be well informed cause its your life and you have to live with it, not the Dr.

Steve
Posted
Posted
Is this just for Lasik or for glaucoma as well?
There is not surgical intervention for glaucoma... just medication to reduce the pressure in the eyeball.Personally... IMO - avoid any medical procedure of any kind unless you have a condition that you cannot live a reasonable lifestyle with... or the condition is going to substantially deteriorate without prompt intervention. About 25% of the potential medical malpractice cases I am contacted on arising from surgical procedures involve elective procedures that could have been avoided altogether.Tom in Texas
Sorry, I meant cataract

easy44
Posted
Posted
Is this just for Lasik or for glaucoma as well?
There is not surgical intervention for glaucoma... just medication to reduce the pressure in the eyeball.Tom in Texas
Actually there is. My mother had a couple of operations to relieve the pressure in her eyes after the medications were no longer effective. I believe they used a laser to punch small holes in some part of the eye. Sorry, don't know enough about the procedure to be more specific, but it was done in Southern Calif. It did work and she kept her eyesight until she died.