Expat Medical Insurance --Please Advise

Karel
Posted
Posted (edited)

no spam or insurance agents please... :(i am new here. will be relocated to Cebu in July.I have some experiences with health insurance. most of the companies are good.I got people from manulife, great eastern, global health asia. all claiming theirs is the best.I understand insurance today is so competitive that its not the evaluation of the package but the reliability of the company and the people behind it...now that I'm relocating to Phillipines in less than 3 weeks,I'm thinking of switching to pallas global insurance cos of company policiesbut I need your thoughts, especially those covered by them.Do you think this is my best option? please please suggest other insurance companies that work best for youThe hardest part is starting all over again.

Edited by Boss Man
removed link by new member

Mik
Posted
Posted

Some people in good health forego medical insurance, they just pay as they go and keep a high limit credit card for emergencies. It doesn't hurt to have some savings too..

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Some people in good health forego medical insurance, they just pay as they go and keep a high limit credit card for emergencies. It doesn't hurt to have some savings too..
That is me!I call it self insurance.However, I still have Australia as my back up plan. I stopped bothering with insurance after I spent 4 days in hospital in 1995. I realised after making my claim that it was a waste of time as the aud $50 per day claim for incidentals, allowed for in my policy, far exceeded all the other costs for hospital stay such as private room, medicines and doctor visits. I have had to go to hsopital since but am still way way way ahead.Regards: Jim

UZI
Posted
Posted
That is me!I call it self insurance.However, I still have Australia as my back up plan. I stopped bothering with insurance after I spent 4 days in hospital in 1995. I realised after making my claim that it was a waste of time as the aud $50 per day claim for incidentals, allowed for in my policy, far exceeded all the other costs for hospital stay such as private room, medicines and doctor visits. I have had to go to hsopital since but am still way way way ahead.Regards: Jim
I guess it all comes down to your current health. I have a heart condition, which of course then is a 'pre-existing condition' so Med insurance wont cover it. So do I want to pay a large sum each month 'just in case' something else comes along or do I save that money in an bank account/savings? I chose Jim's way - self insure.Different if you have kids though.Philhealth - at least for now - is a must have for the family.Uzi

• 1 year later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

PHILHEALTH is available for those who live here,, it is only 100php a month or 1200 php a year,payments can be made at most banks, easy to enroll...www.philhealth.gov.ph

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

For Americans, there is Medicare A insurance which is an 80/20 copayment system. Medicare A will cover major expensive items such as surgery, hospitalization and recuperation at a nursing home If you live in the Philippines, you would need to fly to Hawaii. A much closer location is Guam. There is a new, world-class hospital owned by Filipino doctors under construction. I recently did a 300 months projections (65 to 90 years) for Medicare B, C and D premiums. If you never need medical care and assuming zero inflation for the next 25 years, your 300 months of premium payments will be around $80,000. With projected inflation added, the amount is $112,500. That's assuming you remain healthy. If you get sick, there are deductibles, which in Hawaii is an additional $2,500 per year. Self-pay is not an option in the United States because doctors and hospitals charge astronomical amounts. It is an option for the Philippines because doctors and hospitals are more reasonable. Of course, everything is relative. Many Filipinos cannot afford to pay for medical care.

• Like 2

Patsada
Posted
Posted

anybody covered by BlueCross?? experience? thanks,Patsada - still in good shape! :cheersty:

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm on Phil Health. The catch is (unless rules recently changed) that a foreigner can only be on it if the Filipino(a) spouse is the primary member. This means that I can be on Myrlita's plan but not one of my own.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I'm on Phil Health. The catch is (unless rules recently changed) that a foreigner can only be on it if the Filipino(a) spouse is the primary member. This means that I can be on Myrlita's plan but not one of my own.
The rules has changed, see Item# 5 http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/individually_paying/faqs/membership.htm#m5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The rules has changed, see Item# 5 http://www.philhealt...mbership.htm#m5 Wow! That's terrific news about Phil Health.