My Tib Bit Of Info On The Balikbayan Stamp

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Balikbayan stamp is not a Visa per say, it's just a free one year stay (gift) for the benefits of Balikbayans, weather they be OFWs, Fil/Ams or foreigners married to their Filipino spouses! And normally the BB stamp are usually never denied upon entry, read the last paragraph in bold print of this thread, you may find it interesting!Does anyone know of any changes or other memorandums stating to the contrary to this Republic Act 6768? I myself haven't looked lately? For the past 12 years we have used the Balikbayan stamp without being denied the one year free stay! Just make sure to ask for it and stamped in your passports before leaving the airport!And also, if we want to stay longer prior to our BB Stamp elapsing, we have a few options, 1). Do the 59 days tourist visa extensions every 2 months good up to 16 months! 2). Do a 3 to 5 day weekend turn-around vacation to China, Hong Kong, Bangkok or Singapore and get the BB stamp again upon return to the Philippines, that's what we did 4 years ago when we went to Thailand! But make sure you have a follow-on (cheap throw away) ticket usually $35 to $75 per person on Air Asia or Flying Tigers from Clark, Angeles City or on-line for an e-ticket sent to your email prior to your boarding on your return trip back to the Philippines, I'm sure most know what a throw away ticket is for! Eventually we'll do the Dual Citizenship or 13g Visa thing since we are both Fil/Ams, when we do less traveling outside of the Philippines! BTW, Balikbayans are allowed to purchase one way tickets via Philippine Airlines only to or from the U.S. or Philippines (no follow-on tickets required), I don't know how they can do that, because it sounds like an illegal scheme to me, but they did and all the other airlines do not have this exclusive policy that PAL has originating from San Francisco Airport in California! I know this to be a fact, because we did just that a year and 1/2 ago and I hope it is still in effect when we go on vacation to California again this year. The advantage to this is, what if you purchased a round trip ticket to the Philippines and you didn't use the return portion of the round trip ticket when it expired after 6 or 12 months whatever the case may be on your open return tickets? You lose money in getting it refunded and may take weeks or months to get your refund and at a reduced amount from what you had paid for them originally!I hope this clears up The BB stamp definition, requirement criteria and the follow-on ticket policy imposed upon us all travelers by most of the other airlines! Have a nice day!The ''Balikbayan Program'' of the Philippines under Republic Act (RA) 6768The ''Balikbayan Program'' of the Philippines was enacted in November 1989 to attract andencourage overseas Filipinos to visit the Philippines.The following categories of persons can avail of the Balikbayan privilege: (a) a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year from the date of last departure; (b) a Filipino overseas worker (OFW); © a former Filipino citizen who had been naturalized in a foreign country and holds a foreign passport.A 'Balikbayan' is entitled to the following benefits: (a)Travel Tax exemption; (b)Visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one (1) year, for a foreign passport holder; ©Duty-Free shopping privilege of up to US$2,000.00 (US$1000.00 as arriving Balikbayan and US$1000.00 as arriving passenger) provided that: (i) Shopping must be done within two days upon arrival; (ii) Duty free shopping privilege can be availed of only once a year; and (iii) Purchases must be made personally by the Balikbayan.The Balikbayan privilege is extendable to legitimate members of thefamily (i.e. spouse and children) of individuals in the above-mentionedcategories, who are holders of Filipino passports ONLY IF they aretraveling to the Philippines together with the above-mentionedqualified individual.It can also be availed of by legitimate members of the family (i.e.spouse and children) of individuals in the above-mentioned categories,who are aliens or holders of foreign passports, ONLY IF they aretraveling to the Philippines together with the above-mentionedqualified individual.In order to avail of the privilege, qualified Filipino citizens need topresent only their Philippine passports showing the date of last exitfrom the Philippines, which should not be less than 1 year. Aside fromtheir foreign passports showing date of last exit from the Philippines,former Filipino citizens need to present their old Philippine passportor Philippine birth certificate. In the absence of these documents, theycan present foreign naturalization papers to show former Philippinecitizenship or certification from adopted country.Family members of the former Filipino citizen who are traveling withthe Balikbayan should present passports and any of the following: a)birth certificate, in case of children; b) marriage certificate, in caseof spouse; c) adoption papers, in case of legally adopted children.The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed theDepartment of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All ImmigrationOfficers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits andprivileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every timethey enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel".This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of theBalikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of timesthey enter the country within a year.

Edited by Pinoy Art
  • Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

This is the latest version, as far as i am awarehttp://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno9174.htmlRegards: Jim

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
This is the latest version, as far as i am awarehttp://www.chanroble...cactno9174.htmlRegards: Jim
If you read it carefully, it says that RA 9174 is just an "amendment" and does not replace the entire Republic Act 6768 all together, because this RA 9174 amendment obviously left out too many sentences and paragraphs that is originally in RA 6768 indicating that this RA 9174 is just an amendment (an add on) as it was intended. And I have read this RA 9174 for as long RA 6768 has been revised numerous times in the past to improve it's functionality for all of those eligible. We have been using this "Balikbayan Program", RA 6768 for the past 12 years now and has worked well for us. It's a no nonsense program due to it's constant improvements over the years. It's the best thing that the Arroyo administration has ever invented, but we all know what her real motives were, which should be in a separate topic of it's own! Edited by Pinoy Art

UZI
Posted
Posted (edited)
This is the latest version, as far as i am awarehttp://www.chanroble...cactno9174.htmlRegards: Jim
Hi Jim,If this 2002 amendment is, in fact, the latest, then it is worth noting that this is the current ruling in effect on the question of whether the BB stamp can be availed of more than once a year:
The privilege can be availed of by the balikbayan only once a year;
Those who use it for short visits may get caught out by that rarest of creatures, an up to date Immi at the airport.Anyone know of a later revision saying otherwise?UZI Edited by UZI

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Hi Jim,If this 2002 amendment is, in fact, the latest, then it is worth noting that this is the current ruling in effect on the question of whether the BB stamp can be availed of more than once a year:
Those who use it for short visits may get caught out by that rarest of creatures, an up to date Immi at the airport.Anyone know of a later revision saying otherwise?UZI
If you have read the last Paragraph of RA 6768, it answers your question of the once a year criteria! Here it is which was a revision on June 4, 2001.The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed theDepartment of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All ImmigrationOfficers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits andprivileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every timethey enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel".This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of theBalikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of timesthey enter the country within a year.

UZI
Posted
Posted (edited)
Those who use it for short visits may get caught out by that rarest of creatures, an up to date Immi at the airport.Anyone know of a later revision saying otherwise?UZI
If you have read the last Paragraph of RA 6768, it answers your question of the once a year criteria! Here it is which was a revision on June 4, 2001.The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed theDepartment of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All ImmigrationOfficers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits andprivileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every timethey enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel".This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of theBalikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of timesthey enter the country within a year.
The post from Jim points out that the Amendment is from 2002
If this 2002 amendment is, in fact, the latest
wheras your quote is from a year before that .......2001
The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed theDepartment of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001
So my question remains the same - "Anyone know of a later revision saying otherwise?" Edited by UZI

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001
So my question remains the same - "Anyone know of a later revision saying otherwise?"
RA 9174 is just an amendment. Here are some of the phases below from Jim's link http://www.chanroble...cactno9174.html(a) The term "balikbayan" shall mean a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year,The program shall include a kabuhayan shopping privilege allowing tax-exempt purchase of livelihood tools and providing the opportunity to avail of the necessary training to enable the balikbayan to become economically self-reliant members of society upon their return to the country. The program shall likewise showcase competitive and outstanding Filipino-made products."The privileges granted under this Act shall be in addition to the benefits enjoyed by the balikbayan under existing laws, rules and regulations." "SEC. 4. Limitations on Tax-exempt Purchases at all Government-owned and -Controlled/Operated Duty-free Shops. — The tax-exempt purchase privilege shall be subject to the following limitations:(b) The privilege can be availed of by the balikbayan only once a year.You decide if I read it all wrong! We've been doing this for the past 12 years! Am I missing something here after all these years? Edited by Pinoy Art

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001
So my question remains the same - "Anyone know of a later revision saying otherwise?"
RA 9174 is just an amendment. Here are some of the phases below from Jim's link http://www.chanroble...cactno9174.html(a) The term "balikbayan" shall mean a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year,The program shall include a kabuhayan shopping privilege allowing tax-exempt purchase of livelihood tools and providing the opportunity to avail of the necessary training to enable the balikbayan to become economically self-reliant members of society upon their return to the country. The program shall likewise showcase competitive and outstanding Filipino-made products."The privileges granted under this Act shall be in addition to the benefits enjoyed by the balikbayan under existing laws, rules and regulations." "SEC. 4. Limitations on Tax-exempt Purchases at all Government-owned and -Controlled/Operated Duty-free Shops. — The tax-exempt purchase privilege shall be subject to the following limitations:(b) The privilege can be availed of by the balikbayan only once a year.You decide if I read it all wrong! We've been doing this for the past 12 years! Am I missing something here after all these years?
Art I believe Uzi has a valid question since that law and amendment are old, so if anyone knows of a newer version or a newer amendment then I would also like to see it posted. My wife and I also use the privilege and if there are any newer updates then I too would like to know about them as well, and I believe most of us married to Filipinas and who use the BB might feel the same way. 

softail
Posted
Posted

The way I read it is that the tax- expempt shopping privilage is limited to once a year. Since this is an amendment to the old rules it appears that nothing has changed in regard to the multiple entry ploicy. Just my opinion.Doug and Sally

UZI
Posted
Posted
The way I read it is that the tax- expempt shopping privilage is limited to once a year. Since this is an amendment to the old rules it appears that nothing has changed in regard to the multiple entry ploicy. Just my opinion.Doug and Sally
Hi Doug,You are correct. The reference I quoted does indeed refer to the use of the Tax Exempt facility. Thanks for clearing that up.That does not though, change my original point. The O.P stated that:
This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of theBalikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of timesthey enter the country within a year.
This statement, as I understand it relates to the PRIVILEGES & BENEFITS associated with the program i.e the Tax Exemptions which The Amendment changed & is now only allowed one a year as you pointed out.My question was about the multiple use of the BB STAMP within a year. This I have seen quoted on other forum posts but Jims reference clearly states:
"SEC. 2. Definition of Terms. — For purposes of this Act: (a) The term "balikbayan" shall mean a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year
So, my question to be clear:Can anyone show a reference LATER than 2002 which says this can be used more than once in a 12 month period?UZI.