My Tib Bit Of Info On The Balikbayan Stamp

softail
Posted
Posted
The way I read it is that the tax- expempt shopping privilage is limited to once a year. Since this is an amendment to the old rules it appears that nothing has changed in regard to the multiple entry ploicy. Just my opinion.Doug and Sally
Hi Doug,You are correct. The reference I quoted does indeed refer to the use of the Tax Exempt facility. Thanks for clearing that up.That does not though, change my original point. The O.P stated that:
This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of theBalikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of timesthey enter the country within a year.
This statement, as I understand it relates to the PRIVILEGES & BENEFITS associated with the program i.e the Tax Exemptions which The Amendment changed & is now only allowed one a year as you pointed out.My question was about the multiple use of the BB STAMP within a year. This I have seen quoted on other forum posts but Jims reference clearly states:
"SEC. 2. Definition of Terms. — For purposes of this Act:(a) The term "balikbayan" shall mean a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year
So, my question to be clear:Can anyone show a reference LATER than 2002 which says this can be used more than once in a 12 month period?UZI.
http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/laws-policies/balikbayan-benefits/"Please be informed that the pronouncement by then Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Andrea Domingo dated 04 June 2001 granting benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and former Filipinos every time they enter the country to visit regardless of their frequent travel is still in effect."This comes streight off the Embassy website as of today.Hope this helps clear things up.Doug and Sally

UZI
Posted
Posted
The way I read it is that the tax- expempt shopping privilage is limited to once a year. Since this is an amendment to the old rules it appears that nothing has changed in regard to the multiple entry ploicy. Just my opinion.Doug and Sally
Hi Doug,You are correct. The reference I quoted does indeed refer to the use of the Tax Exempt facility. Thanks for clearing that up.That does not though, change my original point. The O.P stated that:
This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of theBalikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of timesthey enter the country within a year.
This statement, as I understand it relates to the PRIVILEGES & BENEFITS associated with the program i.e the Tax Exemptions which The Amendment changed & is now only allowed one a year as you pointed out.My question was about the multiple use of the BB STAMP within a year. This I have seen quoted on other forum posts but Jims reference clearly states:
"SEC. 2. Definition of Terms. — For purposes of this Act:(a) The term "balikbayan" shall mean a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year
So, my question to be clear:Can anyone show a reference LATER than 2002 which says this can be used more than once in a 12 month period?UZI.
http://www.philippin...bayan-benefits/"Please be informed that the pronouncement by then Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Andrea Domingo dated 04 June 2001 granting benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and former Filipinos every time they enter the country to visit regardless of their frequent travel is still in effect."This comes streight off the Embassy website as of today.Hope this helps clear things up.Doug and Sally
Doug, From the BI website:
THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;2. A Filipino overseas worker; or3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.• The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).
So that for me clears up to BENEFITS & PRIVILEGES question but also seems to confirm that the BB stamp CANNOT be used more than once a year. Unless someone can show otherwise? UZI

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
http://www.philippin...bayan-benefits/"Please be informed that the pronouncement by then Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Andrea Domingo dated 04 June 2001 granting benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and former Filipinos every time they enter the country to visit regardless of their frequent travel is still in effect."This comes streight off the Embassy website as of today.Hope this helps clear things up.Doug and Sally
THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;2. A Filipino overseas worker; or3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.• The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).
So that for me clears up to BENEFITS & PRIVILEGES question but also seems to confirm that the BB stamp CANNOT be used more than once a year. Unless someone can show otherwise? UZI
Maybe the reason why the two Republic Acts 6768 and 9174 are old and no new revisions has been found, don't you think just maybe it's because, that "if it ain't broke, nothing needs fixing"! It's as simple as that! Anyway, why would they change anything in this point in time, when the Balikbayan Program has already been working wonderfully all these years! I'm certain that Balikbayans still won't have any problems coming in or out of the Philippines as often as they like within a year, because it says so at the bottom paragraph of RA 6768! Here it is again for the 4th time!The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel".This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year. Or from Doug's post above which states the same as I've mentioned all along repeatedly:The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001, That The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country(MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD)I doubt if the Balikbayan Program will ever be terminated, because it has been doing what it's intended suppose was to do and that's bringing in revenue and stimulating the Philippine economy! So, why would anyone kill their cash cow or goose that can still lay golden eggs for a long time to come?That's all I'm going to say about this subject! :th_signs027: Edited by Pinoy Art

UZI
Posted
Posted
Maybe the reason why the two Republic Acts 6768 and 9174 are old and no new revisions has been found, don't you think just maybe it's because, that "if it ain't broke, nothing needs fixing"! It's as simple as that! Anyway, why would they change anything in this point in time, when the Balikbayan Program has already been working wonderfully all these years! I'm certain that Balikbayans still won't have any problems coming in or out of the Philippines as often as they like within a year, because it says so at the bottom paragraph of RA 6768! Here it is again for the 4th time!The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel".This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year. Or from Doug's post above which states the same as I've mentioned all along repeatedly:The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001, That The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country(MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD)I doubt if the Balikbayan Program will ever be terminated, because it has been doing what it's intended suppose was to do and that's bringing in revenue and stimulating the Philippine economy! So, why would anyone kill their cash cow or goose that can still lay golden eggs for a long time to come?That's all I'm going to say about this subject! :th_signs027:
Thank you. So just my question remains with regards to this:
THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;
From 2008.......seems to confirm that the BB stamp CANNOT be used more than once a year.Unless someone can show otherwise?UZI

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Maybe the reason why the two Republic Acts 6768 and 9174 are old and no new revisions has been found, don't you think just maybe it's because, that "if it ain't broke, nothing needs fixing"! It's as simple as that! Anyway, why would they change anything in this point in time, when the Balikbayan Program has already been working wonderfully all these years! I'm certain that Balikbayans still won't have any problems coming in or out of the Philippines as often as they like within a year, because it says so at the bottom paragraph of RA 6768! Here it is again for the 4th time!The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel".This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year. Or from Doug's post above which states the same as I've mentioned all along repeatedly:The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001, That The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country(MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD)I doubt if the Balikbayan Program will ever be terminated, because it has been doing what it's intended suppose was to do and that's bringing in revenue and stimulating the Philippine economy! So, why would anyone kill their cash cow or goose that can still lay golden eggs for a long time to come?That's all I'm going to say about this subject! :th_signs027:
Thank you. So just my question remains with regards to this:
THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;
From 2008.......seems to confirm that the BB stamp CANNOT be used more than once a year.Unless someone can show otherwise?UZI
Here we go again for the last time and here's the otherwise! THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)By legal definition, a Balikbayan is: there are 3 categories and not just one for all pertaining to the (1) one year restriction as stated below for item (a) only!!!!!!!!http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/balikbayan.htmThe following categories of persons can avail of the Balikbayan privilege: (a) a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year from the date of last departure; (b) a Filipino overseas worker (OFW); © a former Filipino citizen who had been naturalized in a foreign country and holds a foreign passport• The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008) issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).• “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayans. "All Immigration Officers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel".This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year. :cheersty:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have entered the Philippines a few times within one year and in numerous years and have always been issued the BB stamp. The year before last we left for only one month to go to a wedding in the US and then returned and we were issued the stamp again. ............... Every Philippines Embassy site that I have searched has no changes to the law so Unless anyone can find a newer version which supersedes the older version, then the law stands as written and since no Embassy site that I have been able to find has a newer version and I have searched many, then it would be reasonably safe to conclude that there is none, so IMO thinking that there might be would be, in this computer age would be unreasonable. If any person feels they are not sure, then I would advise them to go visit the BOI closest to them.  ..................................... Here is one site dated June 25, 2010 so it must be up to date and it says................................ The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorised ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel". This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.Below is just one of the many links I have found that all say the same thing.   http://philembassy.b...=338&Itemid=227

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
My wife and I have entered the Philippines a few times within one year and in numerous years and have always been issued the BB stamp. The year before last we left for only one month to go to a wedding in the US and then returned and we were issued the stamp again. ............... Every Philippines Embassy site that I have searched has no changes to the law so Unless anyone can find a newer version which supersedes the older version, then the law stands as written and since no Embassy site that I have been able to find has a newer version and I have searched many, then it would be reasonably safe to conclude that there is none, so IMO thinking that there might be would be, in this computer age would be unreasonable. If any person feels they are not sure, then I would advise them to go visit the BOI closest to them. ..................................... Here is one site dated June 25, 2010 so it must be up to date and it says................................ The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorised ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel". This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.Below is just one of the many links I have found that all say the same thing. http://philembassy.b...=338&Itemid=227

softail
Posted
Posted

The following categories of persons can avail of the Balikbayan privilege: (a) a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year from the date of last departure; (b) a Filipino overseas worker (OFW); © a former Filipino citizen who had been naturalized in a foreign country and holds a foreign passport"I think the question that UZI is asking is wheather catagory "A" citizens have to be out of the PI for at least a year to qualify a Balikbayan. There is not much question about catagory b and c having multiple entry but I can see where he would be concerned about catagory "a" people having the same privilage at "b" and "c". It seems that they would not be able to have multiple entry within a years time because they would have to have been out of the country for a year to quailify. e3358.gif Doug and Sally

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Lee,Exactly put! I've explained all this and then some. This memorandum (dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD) is just that, concerning Filipinos only and it's just an amendment (an add-on) to the existing RA 6768 rules and regulations established in Nov of 1989 and with amendments dated Nov 4, 2001 and July 1, 2008 concerning the definitions and terms of what the "Balikbayan Program" is all about! And foreigners married to their Filipino spouses are in their own category in themselves already established under the original RA 6768! So, I'm certain this is all clear to anyone reading this post! These are the current facts, unless someone finds another newer version that states otherwise! :th_signs027:

UZI
Posted
Posted (edited)
My wife and I have entered the Philippines a few times within one year and in numerous years and have always been issued the BB stamp. The year before last we left for only one month to go to a wedding in the US and then returned and we were issued the stamp again. ............... Every Philippines Embassy site that I have searched has no changes to the law so Unless anyone can find a newer version which supersedes the older version, then the law stands as written and since no Embassy site that I have been able to find has a newer version and I have searched many, then it would be reasonably safe to conclude that there is none, so IMO thinking that there might be would be, in this computer age would be unreasonable. If any person feels they are not sure, then I would advise them to go visit the BOI closest to them. ..................................... Here is one site dated June 25, 2010 so it must be up to date and it says................................ The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 04 June 2001 that, "All Immigration Officers at authorised ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayans and Former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel". This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.Below is just one of the many links I have found that all say the same thing. http://philembassy.b...=338&Itemid=227
Yeah Lee, I too can find many references from EMBASSY sites like this from Washington :
No visa shall be required for a maximum stay of one (1) year for the following Balikbayans, every time they enter the Philippines to visit, regardless of the frequency of their travel:
To this strange one in Canada which offers to stamp your passport with the BB stamp BEFORE you even leave Canada:
They may visit the Philippines several times (multiple entry) within a year or they may stay in the Philippines for a maximum of one (1) year. .........come to the Embassy to have their Canadian passport marked with the Balikbayan stamp
I would love to see the expression on the Agents face at NAIA or Mactan when presented with a passport already stamped. That's a new one. I KNOW there are plenty of quotes from Embassy sites and I have read MANY times that people have obtained a BB stamp on returning in less then 12 months but I am trying to find where this comes from, as the most up to date Amendment to RA 6768 I can find states that you must be out of the country for a year and that is dated 2008. So what is it that the Embassies are using? Is it a memorandum? Does it exist online? This thread is so similar to the back & forth on Foreign ownership. Lots of suggestions & hearsay of people who have found a way round it but no legal reference to support it. This seems to be another of those 'vague' & 'open to interpretation' Philippine laws, as commented by the O.P. on 'Another Forum':
The immigration fella was trying to tell me that they had a memorandum saying that my reentry was less than a year!
Which BI Agent on the day operating the latest or even out of date memorandum maybe the difference to getting the stamp or nor, if you don't have the facts yourself. So unless someone finds the Memo or the Amendment, that says that this 2008 amendment:THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year; Is no longer true or correct law. I think this thread is done, I have nothing left to add & all on a BB will be fingers crossed if they return in less that a year. Ingat Uzi. P.S. Doug posted while I was writing this. Good to see someone else is confused as to the LEGAL stance. Edited by UZI