Dual Citizenship Or Balikbayan Visa

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

As far as to the pros or cons concerning the Balikbayan Program or Becoming a Dual Citizen really comes down to individual needs of their particular circumstances because one size does not fit all and that is why individual categories were established for that reason so every individual can determine where one would fit based on requirements to each program. And as to the sensitive issue and nature while living in the Philippines, one should not name any names of one's immigration status on any open forums unless one chooses to do so, because it is a private and personal matter where the local public need not know due to one's personal safety let alone for security reasons of their present employment status, financial status and or one's religious affiliation. The advantages and disadvantages I point out below just depends on individual needs or their particular circumstances or situation at the present or in the near future.EXAMPLES: 1. Can one work here? BB - No Dual - Yes 2. Does one's immigration status expires? BB- Yes Dual - No3. Does one require follow-on tickets? BB - Yes, after BB stamp or extensions Dual - No, have unrestricted travel4. Own land and property? BB - Yes limited Dual - Yes unlimited5. Pay taxes if working here? BB - No Dual - Yes6. Open a local bank account? BB - Certain banks only Dual - Yes7. Go to school here? BB - Limited Dual - Yes8. Drive in the Philippines? BB - 90 days unless one has an RP license Dual - Yes9. Have to leave the country at a certain time? BB - Yes after 1 yr or after extended extensions Dual- No10. Purchase local health Insurance? BB - No Dual - Yes 11. Require an ACR I-Card? BB - After 59 days Dual - No12. Apply for local credit cards BB - No Dual - Yes13. Can be assisted by the U.S. Embassy if ever incarcerated or in the event of civil war? BB - Yes Dual - No, maybe13. Penalties imposed if one decides to leave the country? BB - No Dual - Yes14. Require a combined US and RP passport? BB - No Dual - Yes15. Have duty free (tax exempt) shipping of house hold goods and a used vehicle? BB - No Dual - Yes with certain restrictions depending on Custom's Laws! These are just about a few advantages and disadvantages of both programs and one just have to chose which one fits their needs or circumstances.

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm

Jake
Posted
Posted
If you and your wife are US citizens, I know of no downside to her reacquiring her Philippine citizenship. There are certainly a lot of upsides... not the least of which is making you eligible for a 13g visa.However, if you are going to travel back and forth to the States a time or two a year, the balikbayan visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one year as foreign passport holders may work just as well for you.Tom in Texas
Yes... back to "this" topic - We have obtained my wife's US citizenship. We plan to split time between Cebu and Texas. We plan to initially rely on the balikbayan visa-free benefit. I am planning to have my wife (re-acquire, affirm, ??) her Philippine citizenship. Does anyone know of any downside? (I do not - see above)Does anyone know of any upside? (I do - see above)Tom in Texas
I think a point is worth noting, while discussing this topic is that Art AND his wife a BOTH Fil Am's. They will have different experiences IMHO to the Filipino and Expat couple. For the majority of us here our only options are via our SPOUSE. We as the Expat, will get the BB stamp because of that or get a 13a or g residence.So for most (Jake excluded of course) reading here, the question is, should our partner get their Philippine Citizenship so that the foreigner can get their resisence or continue with both using the BB stamp. I think the answer lies in whether you are like Lee, who shares his time between Florida & Cebu or if you wish to live here permanently.Uzi.
Hey guys,My original plan was for both of us to acquire dual citizenship but just discovered from member Balintawakthat shipping household and personal effects (using a 20' container) would be subject to custom duties. Iunderstand it would be tax exempt if my wife remained a Filipino citizen (not dual), using her name on the shipping documents. I need to research this to further verify.....the other alternative is shipping BB boxes at 30-50 bucks each rather than 5 to 8 thousand bucks for a 20 footer. Judy may insist on this since she cannot live without her gigantic cabinet and other big items.Another question came to mind is: does one need to apply for both US/Philippine passports if consideringdual citizenship? Does one need to show both upon entry to PI? Or just use one to travel in and out with that passport properly endorsed indicating the other citizenship. I need to do some homework before wemake the big move a couple years from now.Lee -- if necessary, please transfer this to another thread more appropriate (shipping, customs). Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
If you and your wife are US citizens, I know of no downside to her reacquiring her Philippine citizenship. There are certainly a lot of upsides... not the least of which is making you eligible for a 13g visa.However, if you are going to travel back and forth to the States a time or two a year, the balikbayan visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one year as foreign passport holders may work just as well for you.Tom in Texas
Yes... back to "this" topic - We have obtained my wife's US citizenship. We plan to split time between Cebu and Texas. We plan to initially rely on the balikbayan visa-free benefit. I am planning to have my wife (re-acquire, affirm, ??) her Philippine citizenship. Does anyone know of any downside? (I do not - see above)Does anyone know of any upside? (I do - see above)Tom in Texas
I think a point is worth noting, while discussing this topic is that Art AND his wife a BOTH Fil Am's. They will have different experiences IMHO to the Filipino and Expat couple. For the majority of us here our only options are via our SPOUSE. We as the Expat, will get the BB stamp because of that or get a 13a or g residence.So for most (Jake excluded of course) reading here, the question is, should our partner get their Philippine Citizenship so that the foreigner can get their resisence or continue with both using the BB stamp. I think the answer lies in whether you are like Lee, who shares his time between Florida & Cebu or if you wish to live here permanently.Uzi.
Hey guys,My original plan was for both of us to acquire dual citizenship but just discovered from member Balintawakthat shipping household and personal effects (using a 20' container) would be subject to custom duties. Iunderstand it would be tax exempt if my wife remained a Filipino citizen (not dual), using her name on the shipping documents. I need to research this to further verify.....the other alternative is shipping BB boxes at 30-50 bucks each rather than 5 to 8 thousand bucks for a 20 footer. Judy may insist on this since she cannot live without her gigantic cabinet and other big items.Another question came to mind is: does one need to apply for both US/Philippine passports if consideringdual citizenship? Does one need to show both upon entry to PI? Or just use one to travel in and out with that passport properly endorsed indicating the other citizenship. I need to do some homework before wemake the big move a couple years from now.Lee -- if necessary, please transfer this to another thread more appropriate (shipping, customs). Respectfully -- Jake
Jake, My SS Buddy! Read my list of advantages and disadvantages and it will answer most of your questions. The details, you'll have to do some research as to the validity of shipping house hold goods and a vehicle, because a guy from our local BI office mentioned something to do with shipping and being tax exempted to a certain point minus shipping cost and percentage of one may have to pay. I know neighbors in our subdivision who have done so and were tax exempted! I just don't know all of the details of their immigration status or prior employment!I heard and read numerous favorable success and horror stories on other forums concerning shipping household goods and a vehicle in a 20'or 40' shipping container! You just have to do your own research and use a reputable shipping company! Edited by MrBBtheFilAm

Travis
Posted
Posted

hope this works

• 1 month later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just want to recap on the BB Stamp and about the 6 month extension good up to 24 months under the BB Program! Well, back in Nov of 2009, our BB Stamp was about to expire. We requested a 6 month extension under the BB Program Memorandum, but the local BI office denied our request and instead we did the regular 59 day tourist visa extension every two months! In the mean time, I sent an e-mail to the BI main office in Manila asking why our request of our 6 month extension under the BB Program was denied? Anyone should email the main Manila BI office well in advance for any questions one may have, because it takes a few weeks to get a reply! Below is their reply, it seems that the memorandum is still in effect concerning the 6 month extension under the current memorandum for Balibayans: Dear Mr. XXXXXThis refers to you email regarding the extension of your temporary visitor's visa. Please proceed to the Sta. Rosa BI Office and look for Mr. XXXXXXXX, the Officer In-Charge. I have discussed the matter with him. He will accept your application and will forward it to the main office for approval of the Chief, IRD.XXXXXXXXImmigration Regulation Division----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My reply to her email today:Ms XXXXXXXXX,I appreciate your reply, but we have no use for the 6 month visa extension anymore, since it has now been 6 months since our last 59 day tourist extension we were forced in using because we were denied the privileged of using our 6 month extension under the BB Program when we first requested it! We will be leaving for the U.S. on vacation next month and will return after a few months and maybe have our Dual Citizenship by then. According to the current memorandum under the Balikbayan Program, 6 months extensions are authorized and should have been granted by the Sta Rosa BI office. Anyway, that is now past history for us and we no longer have to extend our visa at this point! I just hope the Sta. Rosa office will be more aware of this 6 month extension when other Balikbayans may request it in the future and also be included on the wall fees board that this type of extension is available!I have attached below my reference for your info about the 6 month extension up to 2 years! Is this memorandum still in effect? Why were we denied it when we applied 6 months ago? We had to do the 59 day tourist visa extensions every two months since our request was denied! We are now on our 4th and last 59 day tourist visa extension until we leave the Philippines for vacation in the U.S..! Our visa extensions should have still been under the BB Program and not the 59 day tourist visa extensions every two months! http://immigration.g...d=239&Itemid=80THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRDBy legal definition, a Balikbayan is:1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;2. A Filipino overseas worker; or3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.• The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).• “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”).• Correspondingly, all Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).Thank you XXXXXXX

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Email I just received today! Seems to me that they misinterpreted the memorandum! So, I replied again for them to clarified their statements; Dear Mr. XXXXXX,I apologize for the inconvenience. The memorandum cited is still in effect. The Officer in-Charge of Sta. Rosa explained that his authority to extend temporary visitor's visa is only up to 16 months. That is the reason why your application was not accepted. If you are admitted as balikbayan it means that you have stayed for 12 months and the additional 6 months will have a total of 18 months. That is why we agreed that applications with same nature will be accepted but will be forwarded to the main office for approval for the approval of the Chief, IRD or the Commissioner as the case maybe.Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have immigration concerns. I may be reached at 5273308 (office) or at this email address or at the Immigration Regulation Division, 3rd floor, Bureau of Immigration, Intramuros, Manila. I will be very glad to help you in any way i can.I am very much aware of the memorandum you have cited.I wish you well and have a safe trip and enjoy your vacation.XXXXXX-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dear Ms. XXXXXX,I don't think the total 18 months is correct by the BI official at the Sta. Rosa office when the memorandum states: Thus, all Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. I just want you to clarify this memorandum so other Balikbayans are getting what is due to them! I belong to an internet forum and I post everything concerning immigration visa policies and I would want to post the correct procedure about the 6 month extension in accordance applicable current memorandums. So please, clarify the 18 months vs the 2 years stated in the memorandum, I don't think that is a clear explanation because it contradicts the memorandum. Thank YouXXXXXXXX-------------------------------------------------------------------------That was a quick reply! Here's her last and final email to me I just received 10 minutes ago and this clarifies the memorandum in question concerning the every 6 month extensions if you're 60 yrs of age and over , up to an additional 2 years of stay for all Balikbayans or for children under 14 yrs of age before your BB stamp is about to expire: Mr. XXXXXX,Let me clarify, the two memoranda are distinct from each other. Anyway, the memorandum on balikbayan is in effect. Your application should have been accepted and acted upon by Sta Rosa office. You are correct, you should be allowed to extend your stay for six months and if you so wish to extend again, you will be allowed maximum stay of 2 years, inclusive of all extensions.I will bring this to the attention of the Sta. Rosa office so that the same will not happen again.Thank you again.XXXXXXX

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm

softail
Posted
Posted
Email I just received today! Seems to me that they misinterpreted the memorandum! So, I replied again for them to clarified their statements; Dear Mr. XXXXXX,I apologize for the inconvenience. The memorandum cited is still in effect. The Officer in-Charge of Sta. Rosa explained that his authority to extend temporary visitor's visa is only up to 16 months. That is the reason why your application was not accepted. If you are admitted as balikbayan it means that you have stayed for 12 months and the additional 6 months will have a total of 18 months. That is why we agreed that applications with same nature will be accepted but will be forwarded to the main office for approval for the approval of the Chief, IRD or the Commissioner as the case maybe.Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have immigration concerns. I may be reached at 5273308 (office) or at this email address or at the Immigration Regulation Division, 3rd floor, Bureau of Immigration, Intramuros, Manila. I will be very glad to help you in any way i can.I am very much aware of the memorandum you have cited.I wish you well and have a safe trip and enjoy your vacation.XXXXXX-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dear Ms. XXXXXX,I don't think the total 18 months is correct by the BI official at the Sta. Rosa office when the memorandum states: Thus, all Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. I just want you to clarify this memorandum so other Balikbayans are getting what is due to them! I belong to an internet forum and I post everything concerning immigration visa policies and I would want to post the correct procedure about the 6 month extension in accordance applicable current memorandums. So please, clarify the 18 months vs the 2 years stated in the memorandum, I don't think that is a clear explanation because it contradicts the memorandum. Thank YouXXXXXXXX-------------------------------------------------------------------------That was a quick reply! Here's her last and final email to me I just received 10 minutes ago and this clarifies the memorandum in question concerning the every 6 month extensions if you're 60 yrs of age and over , up to an additional 2 years of stay for all Balikbayans or for children under 14 yrs of age before your BB stamp is about to expire: Mr. XXXXXX,Let me clarify, the two memoranda are distinct from each other. Anyway, the memorandum on balikbayan is in effect. Your application should have been accepted and acted upon by Sta Rosa office. You are correct, you should be allowed to extend your stay for six months and if you so wish to extend again, you will be allowed maximum stay of 2 years, inclusive of all extensions.I will bring this to the attention of the Sta. Rosa office so that the same will not happen again.Thank you again.XXXXXXX
Good job, thanks. This is good information to have, am sure it will come up some day for us.Doug and Sally

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Art,I would like to express our appreciation on your persistent follow ups on this matter. Your posts provide vital information for members like me and especially the wife's of most expats. In light of recent events about extensions, we are a little more knowledgeable than some of the BI officials apparently. Additionally, you also provided contact information to a certainBI official who takes pride in her work and seems very friendly.I salute you sir (even though you're an Air Force puke) -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is my last email to this nice lady at the Manila BI office:Dear Ms. XXXXXX,I truly appreciate your clarification on this matter and so will other Balikbayans in the near future! The main reason I brought up this matter wasn't just for myself, but for the handicapped people being made to return every 2 months to process their visa extensions when they can not afford an agent to do it for them, they could have just made 2 trips once a year up to 2 yrs, if they are Balikbayans. Also, the BI office in Sta. Rosa is not accessible to handicapped wheel chair bound individuals. Have a good day and take care!Thank YouXXXXXXXIf anyone wants to contact the BI offices in Manila, check out my references below:BI Main Office Point of ContactBureau of Immigration, Philippines http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=73Bureau of Immigration National Operations Center (BINOC)+632 524-37691-800-100- ALIEN (24/7 Toll Free)For immigration inquiries, send it at:xinfo@immigration.gov.ph This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view itDual Citizenship Hotline+632 301-0756 | +632 309-7751 (Fax)One Stop Shop Processing Hotline+632 338-4537Bureau of Immigration Main OfficeMagallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila+632 527-3248Office of Commissioner Marcelino C. Libanan4th Floor Bureau of Immigration Bldg.Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila+632 3097753 | +632 309-7751/52 (Fax)mclibanan@immigration.gov.phOffice of Associate Commissioner Roy M. Almoro2nd Floor Bureau of Immigration Bldg.Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila+632 338-4536 | +632 527-5654 (Fax)malmoro@immigration.gov.phOffice of Associate Commissioner Enrique B. Galang, Jr.2nd Floor Bureau of Immigration Bldg.Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila+632 527-3316 | +632 527-5655 (Telefax)ebgalang@immigration.gov.phNote: Balikbayans leaving the country, have to pay a travel tax of $35 per person if one has been in the Philippines over 12 months, the travel tax can be added to their airfare by their travel agent or paid at the airport separate from their airfare (this is not the terminal fee, which is paid prior to entering the customs and immigration counter) and one must have an (ECC) Exit Clearance Certificate prior to their departure.

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm

• 3 weeks later...
No name
Posted
Posted

Balikbayan visa is no more