Visa Info Needed

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Lately for some strange reason I have been getting a lot of conflicting info on Phil visas ....... as there any visa or way here in the Phils that allows you to skip the 18 or 12 month trip out of the country .... I know about the 50 or so foreigners each year that can apply for citizenship but I don't think I have much chance of that ..... christmas_emoticons_187.gif

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Residency might be another option. Have you looked into the Visa offered by the Philippine Retirement Authority? That's all I know as far as legal ways. You could just overstay some do that too. I don't recommend that way.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lately for some strange reason I have been getting a lot of conflicting info on Phil visas ....... as there any visa or way here in the Phils that allows you to skip the 18 or 12 month trip out of the country .... I know about the 50 or so foreigners each year that can apply for citizenship but I don't think I have much chance of that ..... christmas_emoticons_187.gif
Mike your worries will be over if you end up doing what you seem to be planning down the road, that will make life a lot easier to get a permanent visa. :D So live for today and things will all work out. :23_11_60[2]:

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Hello MikeI presume the 50 foreigners each year is for the quota visa. I have heard that it can be done for about P100,000 with a fixer. It will allow you to stay permanently and you can own your own business but you won't be a citizen. It is the one that I want to apply for. I don't want to pay a fixer but I can't get any help from the Philippine Embassy in Canberra either.Are you married to a Filipina? If so, you can apply for a 13a visa. It will allow you to own your own business and stay permanently.I personally would not deposit one centavo to qualify for a retirement visa.Otherwise, I am happy with the extension process. You can stay for 16 months before you have to leave. Most people want to visit other places or go home within a 16 month period anyway.Regards: Jim Sibbick

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey guys thanks for the replies ... Jim ... are you saying that if I were married to a Filipina and had a 13a visa I would not have to leave the Phils each year nor renew my visa every other month??????

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Yes that is correct a 13a visa make you a legal resident no more extensions or visa trips. You thinking along those lines? :th_thsmilies-29057:

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Hey guys thanks for the replies ... Jim ... are you saying that if I were married to a Filipina and had a 13a visa I would not have to leave the Phils each year nor renew my visa every other month??????
Correct!But don't get the idea that you should get married just to stay in the Philippines as it can be hazardous to your wealth. Much cheaper to pay the extensions and much more fun otherwise.Regards: Jim

TheMason
Posted
Posted
The 13a visa needs to be renewed, but only once per year. If you apply for the 13a from within the Philippines the requirements are less stringent (no medical tests or proof of financial means) then if you apply abroad, but your first year is 'probationary'. If you get in any trouble with the law during this first year I doubt you'll get your permanent 13a. I'm applying for my 13a now. It costs about 8k, which includes fees for your ACR card. Once you have the visa it costs about 5k to renew each year. If you're getting married anyway, the 13a is the way to go. It allows you to work if you want to, it costs less in annual visa fees, and you only need to visit BI once per year. The requirements for 13a are posted on the BI site, but here's what I needed when I applied in the Philippines as of Dec 2008:--NSO birth certificate for my wife--NSO marriage certificate--Copy of my passport (bio page, last entry stamp, and current departure date)--Notarized letter of application from my wife. There is a template for the letter in the 13a section on the BI site.--Two notarized copies of the application form.--Two 2 x 2 inch picturesProcessing time is 2-3 months and you need to keep your current visa up to date during the processing time.
  • Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
The 13a visa needs to be renewed, but only once per year. If you apply for the 13a from within the Philippines the requirements are less stringent (no medical tests or proof of financial means) then if you apply abroad, but your first year is 'probationary'. If you get in any trouble with the law during this first year I doubt you'll get your permanent 13a. I'm applying for my 13a now. It costs about 8k, which includes fees for your ACR card. Once you have the visa it costs about 5k to renew each year. If you're getting married anyway, the 13a is the way to go. It allows you to work if you want to, it costs less in annual visa fees, and you only need to visit BI once per year. The requirements for 13a are posted on the BI site, but here's what I needed when I applied in the Philippines as of Dec 2008:--NSO birth certificate for my wife--NSO marriage certificate--Copy of my passport (bio page, last entry stamp, and current departure date)--Notarized letter of application from my wife. There is a template for the letter in the 13a section on the BI site.--Two notarized copies of the application form.--Two 2 x 2 inch picturesProcessing time is 2-3 months and you need to keep your current visa up to date during the processing time.
I would just like to add one thing to this excellent post. Tourists are officially allowed to extend until they have been in the Philippines for 2 years. However, you need to have exceptional circumstances to qualify for the last 8 months. So most tourists can only stay 16 months. Processing a 13a visa is a valid reason for being granted the extra 8 months of extensions as a tourist.Regards: Jim

BobNChe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have three friends who have been here 2,7 and 18 years. They all recently got quota visas through a fixer. The cost was between P220K-P235K each!Jim, you said this was the visa type you would choose. But this visa requires that you have at least a $40K investment in the Phils per the rules. Requirements for Quota Immigrant Visa1. Duly-accomplished immigrant visa application form. Click here to download the application form2. Passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond authorized period of stay in the Philippines3. Two (2) colored 4.5 x 3.5 cm ID photographs taken during the last six (6) months, quarter profile showing earlobe4. Affidavit of financial capacity and proof of investment in the Philippines of at least forty thousand US dollars (USD40,000.00), or possession of special qualification or skill as specified by the Bureau of Immigration5. Proof of applicant's special qualification which has advanced or will advance the Philippines' national interest6. Must be a national of a country with which the Philippines maintains diplomatic relations or which grants the same immigration privileges to Filipino citizens7. Has no record of any derogatory information against him in any local or foreign law enforcement agency8. Has sufficient financial capacity to support a family and will not become a public charge9. Police clearance issued by the national police authorities in the applicant's country of origin or legal residence, authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate having consular jurisdiction over the place10. Medical health certificate issued by an authorized physician including a standard sized chest X-ray. A duly-accomplished medical examination form for visa applicants must be submitted by the applicant.11. Must not be an excludable alien12. Must not be in the Department of Foreign Affairs blacklist.13. Quota Immigrant Visa Fee of SEK 184014. Self addressed envelope.

Edited by BobNChe
  • Like 1