Which Is Best For Visa

samtheman
Posted
Posted

Hey guysCan anyone explain what it the best thing to do,should I get married in the Philippines and then apply for a visa for the wife to return home with me or would a fiancée visa be best and marry at home once she can get here.What advantages if any of a spouse visa over a fiancée visa,is one or the other quicker or easier to obtain than the other?Any advice appreciated Sam

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hey guysCan anyone explain what it the best thing to do,should I get married in the Philippines and then apply for a visa for the wife to return home with me or would a fiancée visa be best and marry at home once she can get here.What advantages if any of a spouse visa over a fiancée visa,is one or the other quicker or easier to obtain than the other?Any advice appreciated Sam
Hi Sam and welcome to the forum.   :) I used a fiancée visa and got married as soon as we got back to the states. My reasons for doing so was because a spouse visa was running about a year back then and I am told it runs even longer nowadays. With the fiancée visa it is usually much quicker and can sometimes be done in 3 to 6 months. The other advantage to it is that if you get married in the Philippines then the lady would never be able to get a divorce under the current system there should things not go as planned, but it can be done in the US and not cause the same problems as a marriage in the Philippines which is forever unless the lady has a lot of money for an annulment. So the flip side of that is if you wish her to be tied to you forever, then get married in the Philippines. Positives and negatives on both but other than the issues I mentioned I do not know of any other reason except that I know that I did not wish to marry my lady and spend intimate time with her and then have to leave her for a year or more and be apart because I believe it would have broken my heart as well as hers. Of course if you can fly back and forth and spend more time together in between while waiting, then that might work out too. 

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another thing to consider is it is about one tenth of the price to marry in the Philippines

Edited by sjp52

Mik
Posted
Posted

Suppose you get married first in the Philippines. But then what will you do if your wife's immigration petition is denied? Will you move to the Philippines or live apart from your new wife?On the other hand, someone with a denied fiancee visa has the option of simply getting another fiancee. Also, a person with second thoughts still has time to back out and end the engagement during the 6 months visa processing and 90 days after arrival. Many regret rushing into marriage. Proceed at your own risk..

sjp52
Posted
Posted

The reason you would get married is because you feel that you could not live without your girl. You will do what ever it takes to be with her. There is no better feeling in the world than to be inlove.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Another thing to consider is it is about one tenth of the price to marry in the Philippines
That is no doubt true if one was to have a large wedding, but if someone wanted to lets say just get married in court, or with just a few people in a private type ceremony, then with all the family issues in the Philippines, it could cost a bundle in the Philippines, when compared to a simple wedding back in the states. Different strokes for different folks and no one way would be right for all. The other issue with getting married in the Philippines from what I have been told, is that the government and church makes a person jump through a bunch of hoops to get married in a Catholic Church and it is said to take at least two weeks before someone can get married unless they pay off the right people. Maybe someone who got married in the Philippines and also someone who got married in a Catholic church might tell us what they had to do?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
That is no doubt true if one was to have a large wedding, but if someone wanted to lets say just get married in court, or with just a few people in a private type ceremony, then with all the family issues in the Philippines, it could cost a bundle in the Philippines, when compared to a simple wedding back in the states. Different strokes for different folks and no one way would be right for all. The other issue with getting married in the Philippines from what I have been told, is that the government and church makes a person jump through a bunch of hoops to get married in a Catholic Church and it is said to take at least two weeks before someone can get married unless they pay off the right people. Maybe someone who got married in the Philippines and also someone who got married in a Catholic church might tell us what they had to do?
From memory there is a two week period to wait for objections before the certificate to marry is granted, you then proceed to marry.I think a notice is placed some where for any one to object but I will have to think about it some more .

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I have to disagree with you Bossman. We had a simple wedding here in CDO and the biggest expense was paying the judge ( 2000 peso ) and that was voluntary but expected. There is a 10 day waiting period. We had a civil wedding Not in the church

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have to disagree with you Bossman. We had a simple wedding here in CDO and the biggest expense was paying the judge ( 2000 peso ) and that was voluntary but expected. There is a 10 day waiting period. We had a civil wedding Not in the church
I think you might be quoting Lee's post not mine? My wedding was also done in a Judges chamber and I don't remember the fee.

Travis
Posted
Posted
Hey guysCan anyone explain what it the best thing to do,should I get married in the Philippines and then apply for a visa for the wife to return home with me or would a fiancée visa be best and marry at home once she can get here.What advantages if any of a spouse visa over a fiancée visa,is one or the other quicker or easier to obtain than the other?Any advice appreciated Sam
I just found this link in 1 of the links at the top of the forum while posting so maybe they can help with some answers to or at least tell you the costs for both to help you decide. good luck whatever you do http://www.easyfiancevisa.com/philippines.html?gclid=COCdmrT26KMCFczD7QodoAOd2A